So Apparently the new Dune movie is fairly good.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Going by the Rotten Tomatoes reviews, and the various nerd ramblings on Youtube.

I guess Denis Villeneuve has done the impossible twice now: he made a sequel to Blade Runner that actually managed to be good, and made a coherent movie adaptation of Dune without sacrificing any of the story or background.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
The 91% Tomatometer is ridiculous.

It is an epic sci-fi movie that either tries to be an expensive miniseries or doesn’t quite know what it wants to be.

Still enjoyable. But not that good. Guess I’ll have to hand in my nerd card.

Renzatic

Reaction score

It is an epic sci-fi movie that either tries to be an expensive miniseries or doesn’t quite know what it wants to be.

Wait. You've seen it? Tell us what you think if you have!

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

91% doesn't mean amazing. It means 91% of reviews skewed positive. Opinions can average lower, as long as variance is sufficiently low to carry that percentage (eg. not normally distributed).

Renzatic

Reaction score
91% doesn't mean amazing. It means 91% of reviews skewed positive. Opinions can average lower, as long as variance is sufficiently low to carry that percentage (eg. not normally distributed).

I've read through a few of the reviews. Most of them are very positive in their opinions.

This is probably one of the most indepth reviews I've seen of it. They do a good job of going through the strengths and weaknesses of the film.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Let’s just say I expected a different ratio after having seen the movie.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Let’s just say I expected a different ratio after having seen the movie.

Yeah, I've read that it's a problem in the first half of the movie, but not so much in the second, since they're passed the necessary exposition, and the range of characters is narrowed down a bit.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
During a recent chat with BFF the topic of one sentence reviews came up. Here’s BFF‘s take on Dune for those who care:

Lavish and visually imposing sci-fi classic remake that’s slightly too pretentious and much too lengthy.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I guess Denis Villeneuve has done the impossible twice now: he made a sequel to Blade Runner that actually managed to be good,

I know people who don't disagree with that.

I'll check out Dune but I think for both Bladerunner and Dune if you are going in completely blind and aren't a huge fan of the genre, then neither qualify as generally enjoyable movies. They don't need to be as dumb as marvel slog, but there's a big gap between that and high-brow scifi.

Renzatic

Reaction score
I know people who don't disagree with that.

I'll check out Dune but I think for both Bladerunner and Dune if you are going in completely blind and aren't a huge fan of the genre, then neither qualify as generally enjoyable movies. They don't need to be as dumb as marvel slog, but there's a big gap between that and high-brow scifi.

I'd call them the upper crust of the sci-fi popcorn set. They're hardly impenetrable arthouse flicks, but there's a lot of craft and style to appreciate in both of them. The saying that Dune is Star Wars for adults is about the most apt description of it, broaching some interesting topics, while also being a fun space opera.

And if I had to level any criticism against Blade Runner 2049 it'd be that it's about 20 minutes too long. I liked it, but I felt myself getting a little worn out by the end.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'd call them the upper crust of the sci-fi popcorn set. They're hardly impenetrable arthouse flicks, but there's a lot of craft and style to appreciate in both of them. The saying that Dune is Star Wars for adults is about the most apt description of it, broaching some interesting topics, while also being a fun space opera.

And if I had to level any criticism against Blade Runner 2049 it'd be that it's about 20 minutes too long. I liked it, but I felt myself getting a little worn out by the end.

I fell asleep about 20 minutes into Blade Runner 2049, but I also wasn't a fan of the original. The atmosphere and pacing of some movies just puts me to sleep.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Frank Herbert's novel (OTSN), is extremely difficult source material for making a film. I'm generally pretty stoked about this movie, my concern is financial viability allowing for the sequel.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I was not a fan of the original Dune movie but this new one struck me as a much better take on the topic. Looking forward to part 2 for sure.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Enjoyed the movie a lot. As a movie, much better than Lynch’s movie.
However, will I watch the 2021 version as many times as the 1984 version? Probably not. Despite its craziness, the Lynch version is very entertaining while the Villenueve version will probably get old quite soon.

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not Dune, but sci-fi too:

I just finished watching Apple's Foundation season 1. It's ten episodes long, and it would take me another ten episodes to fully explain in detail how disappointed I am.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not Dune, but sci-fi too:

I just finished watching Apple's Foundation season 1. It's ten episodes long, and it would take me another ten episodes to fully explain in detail how disappointed I am.
Did you ever read Foundation?

Top Bottom
1 2