So California is on fire

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Both the Bay Area and LA are burning right now. Looking out my window is like an old fashioned sepia toned photograph, smoke and ash flying through the air like a nuclear winter. Why oh why didn't we rake these forests? LIke hydroxychloroquine to the Coronavirus, it could've saved us all.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm in it with you, NorCal. Have to say as far as natural disasters go, wildfires have to be the best smelling. Plus we're already wearing masks outside. So, bonus?

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
Kommiefornia seasons, Earth quake /winds/fires/riots.

had a mini quake in the inland empire today and it's hot as fuck, I am NOT looking forward to the motorcycle ride home

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Both the Bay Area and LA are burning right now. Looking out my window is like an old fashioned sepia toned photograph, smoke and ash flying through the air like a nuclear winter. Why oh why didn't we rake these forests? LIke hydroxychloroquine to the Coronavirus, it could've saved us all.

Lol.

It's amazing how much the modern anti-fire policies have screwed up the local environments, along with the idiotic deployment of invasive grasses as cattle-feed, or erosion control.

California is supposed to have low-level fires that burn the undergrowth, and fix CO2 and nitrogen in the soil.

We need a better fire policy, one that allows fire to burn, even in the urban/forest interface, and that works to make sure that fires are low-level and relatively cool. Unfortunately, with climate change, we're likely to get more fires, and these fires often burn hotter and therefore break down the plants that would otherwise survive.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I thought Portland and all the liberal cities were on fire. Oh, THIS is what a real fire looks like? I thought it was drunk idiots lighting a cardboard box or a mattress on fire. :p

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Don't joke about that. There are people here who literally believe that the entire west coast has devolved into an anarchic free state.

I'm just like "no, it's always like that over there."

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I work for a company that leases equipment to haul cargo and equipment. I received a call earlier from somebody needing to move 1 cow. That’s not the kind of equipment we lease but it made the fire situation really sink in. Not the smoke and smell in the air. Not all the news coverage. Not cancelling my visit to a friends this weekend because it might not be safe or accessible. The thought of a single cow trapped by flames really upset me. :(

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I work for a company that leases equipment to haul cargo and equipment. I received a call earlier from somebody needing to move 1 cow. That’s not the kind of equipment we lease but it made the fire situation really sink in. Not the smoke and smell in the air. Not all the news coverage. Not cancelling my visit to a friends this weekend because it might not be safe or accessible. The thought of a single cow trapped by flames really upset me. :(
It's insane out there right now, as I type this there is literally smoke blowing down my street and I can't see the end of my block, if you step out for more than a minute it's suffocating (good reason to skip your friend's visit). There are a lot of people and animals getting displaced, it's really sad.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
I can't imagine what that's like. The closest I have is when Gatlinburg caught fire a few years back, and the smoky haze settled all throughout the Tennessee Valley. That was fairly tame compared to this though.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's insane out there right now, as I type this there is literally smoke blowing down my street and I can't see the end of my block, if you step out for more than a minute it's suffocating (good reason to skip your friend's visit). There are a lot of people and animals getting displaced, it's really sad.

Where are you, roughly? We don't need an address.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sacramento area.

I feel like the Central Valley is always a giant brush fire waiting to happen. Haven’t really been East of Oakland in ages.

The best part of driving south on 5 between Sac and LA is the occasional giant tumbleweed stampede running across the freeway. Some are bigger than cars. It’s like playing Mario Kart and if you hit one it shatters into a billion pieces.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I feel like the Central Valley is always a giant brush fire waiting to happen. Haven’t really been East of Oakland in ages.

The best part of driving south on 5 between Sac and LA is the occasional giant tumbleweed stampede running across the freeway. Some are bigger than cars. It’s like playing Mario Kart and if you hit one it shatters into a billion pieces.
Really? Bay Area then? I was born in SF and grew up in Daly City, yeah it's a shit hole but it's my home. 😁 I moved away to Oregon for a long time then made my way back, I only moved out the the valley because I got tired of paying over $50K a year for rent down there, housing is insane.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Really? Bay Area then? I was born in SF and grew up in Daly City, yeah it's a shit hole but it's my home. 😁 I moved away to Oregon for a long time then made my way back, I only moved out the the valley because I got tired of paying over $50K a year for rent down there, housing is insane.

I've lived in San Jose my entire life. Yeah, rent sucks but there are a lot of things to do and it's only a short drive to a wide variety of nature or big city stuff. I somewhat consider myself a first world problems survivor as many people I know have left the area. I may be stubborn in staying, but as the saying goes it's better to run to something than from something. For my current values and lifestyle there really isn't somewhere I would be enthusiastically running to. Plus I feel it's all relative. I don't have a degree or specialty and get paid well here considering that. If I moved I would also get paid less, and while a roof over my head may be cheaper, everything else wouldn't be. A $2,000 Mac is still a $2,000 Mac.

Top Bottom
1 2