So I got Covid 😒

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
A week after Thanksgiving I came down with symptoms in what seemed like out of nowhere. I lost all sense of taste and smell within about 36 hours. Now I can't prove anything but it's highly likely I got it over Thanksgiving from my either my brother or someone in his entire unvaccinated family which includes young children which all but one I believe are old enough for the vaccine. My brother only got the vaccine very recently because he was forced to because of a mandate. Otherwise I'm sure he wouldn't have. Why this stupidity? Because Trump and all the fucking right wing disinformation. Him and my mom are huge Trumpets and have been completely brainwashed about the vaccine and Covid in general. Him, my SIL, and at least one of their kids got it along with me and my dad. This makes me beyond angry. The people that believe this disinformation don't seem to realize that this shit affects everyone around them and not just them. I'm boosted and still caught it, though pretty mild compared to how bad it can be. I still don't feel 100% and my taste is still fucked up. Get your heads out of Trump's ass and do the fucking responsible thing. Is it really worth risking your family's health?

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
A week after Thanksgiving I came down with symptoms in what seemed like out of nowhere. I lost all sense of taste and smell within about 36 hours. Now I can't prove anything but it's highly likely I got it over Thanksgiving from my either my brother or someone in his entire unvaccinated family which includes young children which all but one I believe are old enough for the vaccine. My brother only got the vaccine very recently because he was forced to because of a mandate. Otherwise I'm sure he wouldn't have. Why this stupidity? Because Trump and all the fucking right wing disinformation. Him and my mom are huge Trumpets and have been completely brainwashed about the vaccine and Covid in general. Him, my SIL, and at least one of their kids got it along with me and my dad. This makes me beyond angry. The people that believe this disinformation don't seem to realize that this shit affects everyone around them and not just them. I'm boosted and still caught it, though pretty mild compared to how bad it can be. I still don't feel 100% and my taste is still fucked up. Get your heads out of Trump's ass and do the fucking responsible thing. Is it really worth risking your family's health?
I wish you good health and a speedy recovery. I am sorry that you got a breakthrough infection.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Wow, sorry to hear this, hoping for a speedy recovery. My sister decided not to hold any holiday gatherings this year for this exact reason, we couldn't confirm everyone in the family was vaccinated and she just didn't want to go down that road.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I second that. It‘s not a breakthrough infection though. The vaccine does not prevent catching the virus, it should actually prevent heavy/medium symptoms

I get what you are saying but technically it is a breakthrough, at least according to the CDC:

The Possibility of COVID-19 after Vaccination: Breakthrough Infections​

COVID-19 vaccines are effective at preventing infection, serious illness, and death. Most people who get COVID-19 are unvaccinated. However, since vaccines are not 100% effective at preventing infection, some people who are fully vaccinated will still get COVID-19.

An infection of a fully vaccinated person is referred to as a “vaccine breakthrough infection.”

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Wow. I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with this. It's the kind of thing that would make me say I'm not associating with certain family members anymore.

At Thanksgiving most of us were vaxxed, some were boostered, yet I was the only one who wore a mask--and for this very reason. I'm sure some thought I was being overly paranoid, but your experience shows I was not. It only takes prolonged exposure to one person.

If you're really beside yourself with anger, perhaps a Facebook post? "Dear family, thank you for the wonderful time and for the Covid. You know who you are. I have it now. Hope you are the same."

Get better soon.

Roller

Elite Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, but highly likely that you will do well. Please take care of yourself and do what's necessary to avoid infecting others in your circle.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Yeah, this new variant is everywhere. Everyone I know is catching it. But they are having very mild symptoms because they are vaccinated.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Yeah, this new variant is everywhere. Everyone I know is catching it. But they are having very mild symptoms because they are vaccinated.

It's still annoying if you did all the recommended things including a booster but ended up having to miss part of the holidays or take time off work because of a variant infection.

There's talk now of our having to adjust to a "new normal" of dealing flexibly with variants of this thing for some time, and just soldiering on through them, rather than treating every widespread variant as a potential instance of LockDownAgain time.

I get that, since it's clear there are limits on public willingness to observe lockdowns and reversions to full remote learning, etc. No one understands yet though what the accommodations to lingering variants might amount to, and we don't know how long boosters will hold up.

If we're lucky maybe it won't be worse than wondering "Gee should I take my umbrella today or not" and just tack into that checklist "..and a mask..."?

Top Bottom
1 2