Solar

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
There's an existing thread for this with all sorts of terrific info, including costs/ROI analysis:

I searched but did not find and subsequently asked that this be merged with it.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Getting a quote today From Sunrun. Of interest the salesman said if we donā€™t want to absorb the upfront costs, we can lease, yes I said lease which at first chance has some desirable aspects. Will report back.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Iā€™ve got a quote from a large solar provide called Sunrun. Iā€˜ll be looking it over. It seems that this involves the expense of $40-50k, that the loan would be 10 years of paying 30-40% more than my average electric bill and then how many more years to break even? This is a long term investment Iā€™m almost 70, and I donā€™t know how long weā€™ll be in this house. If the house is sold, paying off this loan would result in a loss, if it were to happen before the break even point.

Now as far as the grid and future price increases or reliability, I suppose the dynamics could change along with the break even point.

Of interest, this company offers a leasing program. They pay for the install, you sign a 25 year lease (need to confirm) and you pay less than the going rate for electricity say $.10 a KW instead of $.13 the going rate, with limits on on how much the rate could go up yearly. I need to get a better feel for how much savings there is with this option, but the length of the lease and what actually dictates price increases is a concern. According to them, if you sell your house, this breaks the lease, and they will either negotiate with the new owners or uninstall the equipment. This is also a concern to me as far as possibly making the house less appealing for selling.

The last but not least option is to renew a contract with a local electric provider. Texas is good in this regard. The system here is that electric providers feed into the grid, and you can choose to pay whoever is offering the better deal via short to longer term contract.

More to come.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Sunrun offers a lease option, but there you are only getting a discounted electricity price, along the lines of $.03kw per hour, and it is subject to going up, and itā€™s a 25 year lease. Iā€™ve got such a proposal and Iā€™m going to run it by my lawyer because although I have gotten verbal reassurances that selling your house with such a setup/agreement is no issue, but I need a legal read of the agreement.