Some member names hard to read in dark mode

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Not sure anyone cares but recently I noticed I can barely read certain member names while using dark mode. I am prone to migraines so dark mode is my preference. My computer's brightness is turned all the way up.

Just thought it worth mentioning this is happening as this (for me at least), is a recent development.

Screen Shot 2021-04-18 at 10.52.04 AM.png

Edd

Infrequent shaver, science denier
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure anyone cares but recently I noticed I can barely read certain member names while using dark mode. I am prone to migraines so dark mode is my preference. My computer's brightness is turned all the way up.

Just thought it worth mentioning this is happening as this (for me at least), is a recent development.

View attachment 4568
Likely related to members being able to change the color of text on usernames. Only been that way a week or so.

Scepticalscribe

Site Master
Vaccinated
Reaction score

View attachment 4568

Mine is still in the default setting; have you difficulty reading that?

If not, it may well be on account of - as @Edd has already helpfully pointed out - members being able to change the colour of text on usernames.

And this is not confined to use with dark backgrounds; and yes, I also have been prone to suffer from migraines in the past - however, some of the lighter text names do not show up all that well when (while) using a 'light' background.

DT

Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, for custom username colors, there needs to be a dark and light setting. For example, in light mode Edd could use his current (~#4B518B), and then maybe a high[er] contrast like #E8E8E8 for dark mode.

Mine is still in the default setting; have you difficulty reading that?

The default colors have decent dark mode / darker theme variants.

Yours in light mode:

1618770486666.png

Yours in dark mode:

1618770474030.png

Pumbaa

Not the bald guy
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I'm not judging either. If it's the price I pay for using dark mode that makes it easier on my eyes, it's all good!
In a way it could easier not to judge if one canā€™t read the name of a poster. Less risk of bias! Just donā€™t mind the avatars. šŸ˜œ

Allowing to specify different colors for dark and light settings could do wonders for readability. Granted, it could also provide the possibility of making a name unreadable in both cases.

D

Deleted member 199

Do you have the ability (as in, it's possible, not asking if you're personally able) to edit the stylesheet the themes use, @Eric?

As the colours are just classes, the underlying stylesheet could be modified to use some combination of drop shadow, outline or different background colour, to make them more legible.

I generally avoid CSS (at work) the same way I avoid stray dogs at 7/11, but if there's capability to customise it, I don't mind helping with the actual css part of it.

Top Bottom