Fujifilm
Is there an English version of this article? 🙂

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
No, but it has to be a lame april fool’s joke. It seems to suggest sony using canon sensors.
oh, yes, there is always one new camera model "leaked" or "announced" as an april fool's joke every year.

r.harris1

Site Donor
Reaction score
Today for my favorite raw processor Capture One, I've heard:
(1) Adobe has bought them
(2) They're stopping raw processing and only doing JPEGs (this was actually put out by them and was pretty funny)

OWC's 80-port Gargantuan Dock was probably my favorite.

Last edited:

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
to be fair, Leica's price hike was announced in March. :(

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Speaking of Leica...

Going back to around 2008, I finally ran into a photographer who was sort of street shooter legend in San Francisco, shooting photos there for 30+ years. His name is Vladimir (went by Vlad, and originally from Ukraine long ago), and he shot exclusively with Leica M2 cams. He had at least eight of them. He was a very interesting character and a little eccentric; but in a nice way.

He named all of his M2s after vintage Disney characters; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, etc. And one after a race car driver he admired, Fangio. And labeled the the back of each a Disney metal sticker.

Wanting to save weight for each of his cameras, he dissembled them and de-chromed the body shells down to brass in a tank of acid using a car battery and a lead plate. I’m guessing that may have saved a tenth of an ounce of weight. He also made his own grips from washed-up driftwood from SF beaches.

I started running in to him a lot of SF, so we eventually traded photos in the mail as postcards. His were printed in his darkroom on nice paper. Because he was vehemently anti-digital, he would address them to me as Pixel Slave, Pixel Junkie, Digital Evans, etc. He’d also write “Film is History, Pixels are Disneyland.” Cracked me up! His best move was sending me an 8x10 silver print folded in thirds so it would fit in a business envelope. :)

Attachments

• Vlad1.jpg
    Vlad1.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Vlad3.jpg
    Vlad3.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 42
  • MinnieAndMickey.jpg
    MinnieAndMickey.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Vlad prints.jpg
    Vlad prints.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Vlad prints 3.jpg
    Vlad prints 3.jpg
    474.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Vlad prints-2.jpg
    Vlad prints-2.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 969912_10200650701924707_252486576_n.jpg
    969912_10200650701924707_252486576_n.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 42

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
that’s fantastic. would love to have a leica of any sort one day

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Speaking of Leica...

Going back to around 2008, I finally ran into a photographer who was sort of street shooter legend in San Francisco, shooting photos there for 30+ years. His name is Vladimir (went by Vlad, and originally from Ukraine long ago), and he shot exclusively with Leica M2 cams. He had at least eight of them. He was a very interesting character and a little eccentric; but in a nice way.

He named all of his M2s after vintage Disney characters; Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, etc. And one after a race car driver he admired, Fangio. And labeled the the back of each a Disney metal sticker.

Wanting to save weight for each of his cameras, he dissembled them and de-chromed the body shells down to brass in a tank of acid using a car battery and a lead plate. I’m guessing that may have saved a tenth of an ounce of weight. He also made his own grips from washed-up driftwood from SF beaches.

I started running in to him a lot of SF, so we eventually traded photos in the mail as postcards. His were printed in his darkroom on nice paper. Because he was vehemently anti-digital, he would address them to me as Pixel Slave, Pixel Junkie, Digital Evans, etc. He’d also write “Film is History, Pixels are Disneyland.” Cracked me up! His best move was sending me an 8x10 silver print folded in thirds so it would fit in a business envelope. :)
That is awesome.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

I would love an M*. I have a few M lenses that I adapt to my Sony’s, and they‘re great, but the idea of shooting with an actual leica rangefinder would be so great.

The first camera I ever used was an old Konica rangefinder that my father let me use from time to time, which was nice of him considering I was a little kid and back then film and processing was not cheap.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

He has a wealth of Leica knowledge, and special tools he made to disassemble and repair them. I think he worked on lenses, too.

Here's another funny story...

I like making handmade photo books from scratch. One time I mailed him a small book with 28 of my B&W street photos, as a friendly gesture, photographer to photographer.

A few weeks later Vlad sent the book back to me. In pen he wrote a letter grade (and comments/notes) on each of my photos ranging from B to F; the average being around D to D-. :)

The best part was Vlad writing a conclusion on the inside back cover: "Don't give up. 5 or 6 more years and you can graduate to film. A lot of Elliot Erwitt's stuff is as bad as yours; he's crazy to publish it." :)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I would love an M*. I have a few M lenses that I adapt to my Sony’s, and they‘re great, but the idea of shooting with an actual leica rangefinder would be so great.

The first camera I ever used was an old Konica rangefinder that my father let me use from time to time, which was nice of him considering I was a little kid and back then film and processing was not cheap.

I'd like that too. Back when I'd see Vlad a lot in SF, I should have asked him if he'd loan me a body and lens for a few months. I think he would have been thrilled believing he had finally converted me to film.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
Speaking of Leica...

This is absolutely superb! what a memory. "Pixel Slave".... ha ha ha....

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score

I have a couple of Ms. I also have a floater in my focussing eye and now I wear glasses they are getting less fun to use. So if you are going to get one, do it sooner rather than later because there is no zoom on the viewfinder.... lol.... unless you go with one capable of using an EVF but then that aint pure rangefinder.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I have a couple of Ms. I also have a floater in my focussing eye and now I wear glasses they are getting less fun to use. So if you are going to get one, do it sooner rather than later because there is no zoom on the viewfinder.... lol.... unless you go with one capable of using an EVF but then that aint pure rangefinder.
Yeah, I suspect it may already be too late for me. I remember as a kid lining up the two halves of the split circle and finding it a problem even back then. Now my vision isn’t very good. I‘d be doing a lot of zone focusing.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I definitely am not very good with using a rangefinder -- eyesight just isn't all that great in the first place and it's just not the way I shoot best. I'm more than happy with through-the-lens viewing, focusing and shooting, so that I can have some reassurance that I'll get something resembling what I was seeing!

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I've never used a rangefinder; I've been wearing glasses on and off since I was in preschool, although my prescription has never been very strong.

Would love a Q2 though (yes, i'm aware it's not a rangefinder.....but then that part wouldn't be an issue).

Top Bottom
1 2