Sony A8?

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I am *this* close to placing an order for a Q2 (maybe reporter edition to get rid of the red dot).

Quick, someone convince me not to.
i don’t think anyone here would stop you.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
OK, so what would a new Leica Q2 give you that you can't already do with one of the cameras you currently have? What would be your plan for the Q2 - a carry-with-you-everywhere camera? A quick grab out of the drawer, cabinet or bag while walking out the door for an evening or day of fun when you don't want a big camera with you? Something else?

What kinds of photography do you like to do now? Would the Q2 add to your repertoire by providing an opportunity to try something new/a style/genre you haven't been shooting before? Provide a new approach to the tried-and-true that you've done for a long time?

So now you've got "that itch," that all-too-well-known symptom of GAS...... Are you going to scratch that itch and succumb?

We'll be here waiting, whatever you decide to do....

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, so what would a new Leica Q2 give you that you can't already do with one of the cameras you currently have? What would be your plan for the Q2 - a carry-with-you-everywhere camera? A quick grab out of the drawer, cabinet or bag while walking out the door for an evening or day of fun when you don't want a big camera with you? Something else?

What kinds of photography do you like to do now? Would the Q2 add to your repertoire by providing an opportunity to try something new/a style/genre you haven't been shooting before? Provide a new approach to the tried-and-true that you've done for a long time?

So now you've got "that itch," that all-too-well-known symptom of GAS...... Are you going to scratch that itch and succumb?

We'll be here waiting, whatever you decide to do....

It would be a “carry it with me most times I go anywhere” camera. I definitely don’t *need* it :) I usually have a 35mm lens on my Sony when I carry it around, and Q2’s 28mm would likely serve that purpose nicely, and be a lot smaller and lighter (though I could also solve that problem with a smaller lens for my Sony, but it would likely be a much less capable lens to be that small). I’m mostly taking street photos or family photos or photos for my kid’s school when I’m using that lens. I often carry an RX100vi now, but the ergonomics are not great and obviously the sensor is a lot smaller, so it’s not in the same league. This would replace it most of the time, albeit at a much larger size (while still being a lot less “noticeable” than my A1).

My main hesitation is we’re seeing rumors of the Q3 already. If Q3 were coming out *this* year I’d wait (and either get that or pick up a Q2 maybe at a discount). But I’m hearing “Q3” and “2023” together a lot, so…

mollyc

seeker of light
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
@kenoh just got a q2. maybe he can weigh in on how he likes it. i adore the q2 concept.

i’ve also read 2023 for the q3.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
It would be a “carry it with me most times I go anywhere” camera. I definitely don’t *need* it :) I usually have a 35mm lens on my Sony when I carry it around, and Q2’s 28mm would likely serve that purpose nicely, and be a lot smaller and lighter (though I could also solve that problem with a smaller lens for my Sony, but it would likely be a much less capable lens to be that small). I’m mostly taking street photos or family photos or photos for my kid’s school when I’m using that lens. I often carry an RX100vi now, but the ergonomics are not great and obviously the sensor is a lot smaller, so it’s not in the same league. This would replace it most of the time, albeit at a much larger size (while still being a lot less “noticeable” than my A1).

My main hesitation is we’re seeing rumors of the Q3 already. If Q3 were coming out *this* year I’d wait (and either get that or pick up a Q2 maybe at a discount). But I’m hearing “Q3” and “2023” together a lot, so…

I definitely agree with you on the ergonomics of the RX100 (in my case, the VII); I tend not to use it all that much for that reason, and yes, also because of the small sensor. The Q2 would be ideal for the kinds of photos you've been doing and like to do, from the sound of it -- a great little camera to have in your jacket or pants pocket at all times, one which has more to offer than the RX100 series and certainly more than an iPhone. That full frame configuration is absolutely valuable, totally worth it, and that 28mm lens with the 47mp offers a lot of flexibility.

Sony's 35mm f/1.4 GM lens is terrific, surprisingly versatile, and coupled with the A1, makes a great combination, but, yeah, not exactly pocketable! Even if Sony offered a pancake lens for its FF bodies the fact remains that those mirrorless bodies, which while sleek, lightweight and small in dimensions, are still too large for most people to use as a discreet carry-everywhere camera setup. In terms of recent tech, Sony's RX1R II is getting a bit too long in the tooth to serve this purpose, and, really, the Q2 would pretty much outshine it in every way.

Well, at this point the bottom line is if there is something available right now which would serve one's purposes, is it better to go ahead and buy that item now and be able to enjoy and use it from the get-go? Or is it better to wait for the rumors to keep murmuring about this-and-that possible detail until one day there is finally more verifiable information, including specs and such? This strategy could result in quite a time delay in itself, plus waiting longer for the actual release, especially if there is high demand.

You already know that the Q2 is considered high quality, has good reviews and enthusiastic users, and any potential issues have probably long since already been discussed and corrected by a firmware update or other means. At this point the Q3 is still a gleam in Leica's eye, presumably, and whether or not it turns out to be absolutely stellar and blows everything else out of the water remains to be seen....

Decisions, decisions! :D

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I definitely agree with you on the ergonomics of the RX100 (in my case, the VII); I tend not to use it all that much for that reason, and yes, also because of the small sensor. The Q2 would be ideal for the kinds of photos you've been doing and like to do, from the sound of it -- a great little camera to have in your jacket or pants pocket at all times, one which has more to offer than the RX100 series and certainly more than an iPhone. That full frame configuration is absolutely valuable, totally worth it, and that 28mm lens with the 47mp offers a lot of flexibility.

Sony's 35mm f/1.4 GM lens is terrific, surprisingly versatile, and coupled with the A1, makes a great combination, but, yeah, not exactly pocketable! Even if Sony offered a pancake lens for its FF bodies the fact remains that those mirrorless bodies, which while sleek, lightweight and small in dimensions, are still too large for most people to use as a discreet carry-everywhere camera setup. In terms of recent tech, Sony's RX1R II is getting a bit too long in the tooth to serve this purpose, and, really, the Q2 would pretty much outshine it in every way.

Well, at this point the bottom line is if there is something available right now which would serve one's purposes, is it better to go ahead and buy that item now and be able to enjoy and use it from the get-go? Or is it better to wait for the rumors to keep murmuring about this-and-that possible detail until one day there is finally more verifiable information, including specs and such? This strategy could result in quite a time delay in itself, plus waiting longer for the actual release, especially if there is high demand.

You already know that the Q2 is considered high quality, has good reviews and enthusiastic users, and any potential issues have probably long since already been discussed and corrected by a firmware update or other means. At this point the Q3 is still a gleam in Leica's eye, presumably, and whether or not it turns out to be absolutely stellar and blows everything else out of the water remains to be seen....

Decisions, decisions! :D

The Q2 is actually not as small as you’d think - where it wins out is that the amazing lens (plus camera) is a lot smaller as a package than a typical full frame camera. (See below). Of course, this is comparing it to the A1, which is already on the small side for a modern full frame camera.

C7F79F7C-9D14-480D-B754-4E7EBB0A810B.jpeg9BC4A0DB-A562-4B7A-A357-2802CAA0DFFA.jpeg

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Wow, that IS a surprise, the size of the Leica Q2! Obviously, I have never seen or handled one. I was thinking that it would be somewhat smaller. So it's about the same size, although flatter overall, give-or-take a little, as the A1 with its on-board grip (sans lens). From what I can tell looking at the photo of the Q2 with its fixed lens, yeah, it's roughly the size of the A1 with a smallish, short lens on it, albeit lighter in weight. Very interesting!

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Wow, that IS a surprise, the size of the Leica Q2! Obviously, I have never seen or handled one. I was thinking that it would be somewhat smaller. So it's about the same size, although flatter overall, give-or-take a little, as the A1 with its on-board grip (sans lens). From what I can tell looking at the photo of the Q2 with its fixed lens, yeah, it's roughly the size of the A1 with a smallish, short lens on it, albeit lighter in weight. Very interesting!

Yep. The RX1RII is really the only “pocketable” full frame camera (and, because of the lens depth, it would have to be a very deep pocket). If Sony would update that, it could be very compelling to me. I just don’t think they will, though.

The Q2, though, is small enough and unadorned enough that it is fairly inconspicuous. If you put a lens that is equivalent to the q2’s on the a1, you’d be essentially have a package that weighs around 1300-1400 grams or so, and it would be around 140-150mm deep, at least (not counting the hood, which is probably double the length at least of the Q2’s hood). So, unless you are using a pancake lens, the Q2 is a pretty decent bit smaller than an a-series sony with lens. (And those pancake lenses aren’t going to compete with the summicron class lens on the Leica). Of course, comparing the Q2 to a typical Canon or Nikon is likely to be even more of a difference (though a difference that doesn’t matter to me since i switched to Sony years ago).

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Out of curiosity, and that I still own the first RX100, I went to the B&H website to see what the VII costs. Whoa... $1,300. Prices (and of course capability) have sure gone up. Amazon still has my RX100 in my purchase history and it was $658 in July 2012.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
After reading the earlier post and looking at the images I got up and went to the cabinet, pulled out my A1, which doesn't have a lens on her during her "resting" times, and briefly looked over my lenses; the 50mm macro and the 35mm f/18 (which I bought early-on prior to my acquisition of the much better f/1.4) are about my two shortest, lightest-weight lenses, and yes, putting one of them on the camera makes for a pretty hefty handful. I don't have any pancake lenses -- somehow I have the impression that they may be available for the APS-C camera bodies? I've never really investigated them as I have been much more interested in other lenses over the past two and a half years.

Definitely, speaking of leaning in the direction of inconspicuous, small and unadorned, I agree with you that going with the "reporter" version of the Q2 makes good sense; no point in carrying a camera which screams "EXPENSIVE!" with that all-too-distinctive red dot/badge. Even those who aren't especially knowledgeable about photography know that Leica is far from an economy brand and has significant value.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Out of curiosity, and that I still own the first RX100, I went to the B&H website to see what the VII costs. Whoa... $1,300. Prices (and of course capability) have sure gone up. Amazon still has my RX100 in my purchase history and it was $658 in July 2012.

I don't recall now what I paid for my RX100 VII, but I don't think it was $1300.00. Maybe $1100.00? Prices are going up on everything so I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case here. I do remember that the VII was more expensive than what I'd spent for the one that was its predecessor, and I think that was just under $1000.00. I have the feeling that the RX100 VII is the last of the line, too, as Sony has been moving in other directions, trying to appeal to vloggers and such. The RX100 VII is a pretty outstanding little camera as-is, although there is always room for improvement and there have been tech changes since that camera came out a few years ago.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I often carry an RX100vi now, but the ergonomics are not great

Similar feelings about ergonomics when I used my RX100.

Here's a mod I did on mine that helped. It's just an O-ring attached to the body lug with some micro-paracord.

It provided some decent tension on my shutter finger for stability. And helped a lot not worrying about dropping it.

Attachments

• RX100 cam pic.jpg
    RX100 cam pic.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 37

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
The RX100 VII is a pretty outstanding little camera as-is

Lately I've had similar feelings about mine, even though I haven't used it in around eight years. More than a few times browsing through my LR photos I'd see a photo that stood out and I ask myself, was that really from my phone? And then looking at the Exif it was from my RX100.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Similar feelings about ergonomics when I used my RX100.

Here's a mod I did on mine that helped. It's just an O-ring attached to the body lug with some micro-paracord.

It provided some decent tension on my shutter finger for stability. And helped a lot not worrying about dropping it.

Not a bad idea.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Lately I've had similar feelings about mine, even though I haven't used it in around eight years. More than a few times browsing through my LR photos I'd see a photo that stood out and I ask myself, was that really from my phone? And then looking at the Exif it was from my RX100.

I’ve definitely gotten some good shots, and the huge optical zoom range (particularly on the last couple of models) makes it a very flexible tool. Just not a lot of fun to use, in my opinion.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am *this* close to placing an order for a Q2 (maybe reporter edition to get rid of the red dot).

Quick, someone convince me not to.
I am a month in on my Q2 journey. I am not going to be any help I am afraid.... it is great fun though there are rumours of the Q3 on the horizon

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
The Q2 is actually not as small as you’d think - where it wins out is that the amazing lens (plus camera) is a lot smaller as a package than a typical full frame camera. (See below). Of course, this is comparing it to the A1, which is already on the small side for a modern full frame camera.

View attachment 13731View attachment 13732

The Q2 is not small. It is pocketable only on a garment with massive pockets. It is only slightly smaller than my Ms and bigger than a CL. Comparable to a Fuji X-T30 sort of size. If you want pocketable, then a CL with the 18mm is your better bet from Leica.

The RX100s are slippery little buggers I agree but with a Peak design anchor to hold between your fingers and the £12 grip they are much more holdable and less likely to escape.
@kenoh just got a q2. maybe he can weigh in on how he likes it. i adore the q2 concept.

i’ve also read 2023 for the q3.

I prefer the ergonomics to those of my RX100s and my RX1R. I have found I already don't bother with the digital crop feature. I just shoot knowing I will crop later. Having been a fan of 50mm focal length for forever, I AM finding I need to reprogram myself to get closer to my subject to maintain subject isolation but I will improve in time with that.

Macro feature is great to have and it does the thing where it rattles slightly when turned off but all tightens up again when switched on and the OIS is active. It fits nicely on my little tabletop tripod - Feisol TT15 with a mini ball head and a 49mm thread size to fit filters. flippy screen would be nice but you can connect the app on your phone. Unlike the CL it allows a 2minute long exposure - not as long as I would prefer but long enough for all but the longest of exposures which I would probably use the SL or my Z6 for anyway.

Here are some mangled pictures from it from the weekend to tease.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score

Oh also remember that the announcement date and then actual availability are different dates entirely for our friends in Wetzlar. Used prices on a Q2 right now are only saving a few hundred pounds on new - so bearing in mind the price point, there is little point skrimping on it. I looked around and known trustworthy sellers were only coming in £200-300 less than new on used ones so it wasn't really worth it IMHO YMMV.

Have you considered an A7C? just thinking it is similar in size and means you have lenses already?

Top Bottom
1 2