Sony A8?

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh also remember that the announcement date and then actual availability are different dates entirely for our friends in Wetzlar. Used prices on a Q2 right now are only saving a few hundred pounds on new - so bearing in mind the price point, there is little point skrimping on it. I looked around and known trustworthy sellers were only coming in £200-300 less than new on used ones so it wasn't really worth it IMHO YMMV.

Have you considered an A7C? just thinking it is similar in size and means you have lenses already?
My lenses are all GM (except for the 85), so they are pretty huge. The a7c would give me a smaller body but the overall package would still be much bigger than the Q2.

And people seem not to like the a7c very much :)

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a little research on the CL today, just because I didn’t know much about it. People seem to love it, but it looks like it’s probably end-of-lifed. Size would be great, and I could use my M lenses, but the L lenses seem pretty slow (especially taking into account the crop factor). So back to the Q2…

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
I did a little research on the CL today, just because I didn’t know much about it. People seem to love it, but it looks like it’s probably end-of-lifed. Size would be great, and I could use my M lenses, but the L lenses seem pretty slow (especially taking into account the crop factor). So back to the Q2…
I tried to save you.... :)

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I tried to save you.... :)
Yes, you gave it your all. :mrgreen:

85622443.jpg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I ordered a screen protector and a protective lens filter, so now I’m committed :)

Have you ever been to the Leica Store in SF on Bush St? It's a pretty nice place. They used to have gallery exhibitions and receptions of local photographers that use Leica cameras, including my friend Vladimir Panasenko (the guy that de-chromes his M2s and names them after Disney characters), and another photographer friend Fred Lyon. Don't know if they're still doing that with the pandemic.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Have you ever been to the Leica Store in SF on Bush St? It's a pretty nice place. They used to have gallery exhibitions and receptions of local photographers that use Leica cameras, including my friend Vladimir Panasenko (the guy that de-chromes his M2s and names them after Disney characters), and another photographer friend Fred Lyon. Don't know if they're still doing that with the pandemic.
They had Fred in the store last weekend for the launching of San Francisco: Portrait of a City and I'm kicking myself for not realizing it until the day after :( I would LOVE to meet this man, he's by far my biggest inspiration and I know at his age he doesn't get out much. If you hear of any other appearances please let me know. I'm also tempted to contact that store directly and ask them if they know of anything else coming up.

BTW I'll be buying this.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
They had Fred in the store last weekend for the launching of San Francisco: Portrait of a City and I'm kicking myself for not realizing it until the day after :( I would LOVE to meet this man, he's by far my biggest inspiration and I know at his age he doesn't get out much. If you hear of any other appearances please let me know. I'm also tempted to contact that store directly and ask them if they know of anything else coming up.

BTW I'll be buying this.

Fred's a gem and the real deal. And a gentleman. Through his photo books he's greatly inspired my photography over the years. I have a large print of his on my office wall. He also promoted a Tenderloin photography project a friend and I worked on for a year, and his endorsement of that at another photography event made the publication a success. He also treated us to a tour of his studio and lunch in the Marina district.

Attachments

• Fred's photo in office.jpg
    Fred's photo in office.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 42

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

I have been in there once, but I try to avoid it because each visit could end up being very expensive :)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
BTW I'll be buying this.

I suspect you can get signed copies at the Leica Store. If not, Alex Ramos (if he's still there), might be able to get you one.

And damn, wish I knew about that event!

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I just read the book's description on the Taschen website. Looks like images are from a large and very impressive group of photographers:

"Master photographers include, among others: Stephen Shore, Imogen Cunningham, Fred Lyon, Steve Schapiro, Minor White, Dorothea Lange, Albert Watson, Robert Frank, Garry Winogrand, William Claxton, Fred Herzog, Ansel Adams, Jim Marshall, and many local shooters."

Should be great! Thinking about buying one. Thanks for posting this, Eric!

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Get a thumb rest. Off brand will do....
It’s on my list. Waiting to feel camera in hand to decide. Spare battery is what will really commit me. Those things cost $285 here!

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
It’s on my list. Waiting to feel camera in hand to decide. Spare battery is what will really commit me. Those things cost $285 here!
Buy a used one for a Leica SL Typ 601 - same battery but you will save some cash.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Last night as I was falling asleep, I was thinking about the list of photographers who contributed to the above San Francisco book. And what their photos might be of and how they were curated.

A few names stood out, Dorothea Lange, Robert Frank, Minor White, Garry Winogrand, Fred Herzog, Ansel Adams, and Jim Marshall. That covers a pretty wide swath over a large period of time. And makes me want to look through that book even more.

As she was a documentary photographer, I suspect Lange’s photos cover the forced “relocation” (that’s such a pleasant word) of Japanese-Americans living in what’s known as SF’s Fillmore district to the Tanforan horse stables in San Bruno, and then off to various prisons around the Western US, such as Manzanar in California’s Sierra foothills. Overall, FDR’s order caused the imprisonment of 120,000 Japanese Americans, of which 60,000 were United States citizens, and obviously denied due process afforded under the Constitution.

I’m guessing Robert Frank’s SF photo might be of an African American man and a white women relaxing together in a SF park, one of the photos he made for The Americans, a photo book covering the US during troubling/turbulent times in the 1950s. As a Swiss citizen and outsider to the US, he got it right.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Last night as I was falling asleep, I was thinking about the list of photographers who contributed to the above San Francisco book. And what their photos might be of and how they were curated.

A few names stood out, Dorothea Lange, Robert Frank, Minor White, Garry Winogrand, Fred Herzog, Ansel Adams, and Jim Marshall. That covers a pretty wide swath over a large period of time. And makes me want to look through that book even more.

As she was a documentary photographer, I suspect Lange’s photos cover the forced “relocation” (that’s such a pleasant word) of Japanese-Americans living in what’s known as SF’s Fillmore district to the Tanforan horse stables in San Bruno, and then off to various prisons around the Western US, such as Manzanar in California’s Sierra foothills. Overall, FDR’s order caused the imprisonment of 120,000 Japanese Americans, of which 60,000 were United States citizens, and obviously denied due process afforded under the Constitution.

I’m guessing Robert Frank’s SF photo might be of an African American man and a white women relaxing together in a SF park, one of the photos he made for The Americans, a photo book covering the US during troubling/turbulent times in the 1950s. As a Swiss citizen and outsider to the US, he got it right.
I cannot wait to get this book, I'm calling the store when they open to see about signed copies but they do have a preview here you can flip through while you wait as well.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Okay, just spoke with a nice lady at the store who says she regularly in touch with Fred and they've been trying to get him back for another signing, it's just a matter of scheduling and his health (at 93 that's to be expected) but they took my information and will let me know. @citypix I'll be sure to share if/when that happens. They don't have any signed copies so I'll just buy from Amazon and then take it to be signed (along with my other books :mrgreen:).

Top Bottom
1 2