Sony GM 24-70 f2.8 version II announced

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Looks *very* small and light. DPReview says the optics are also much better than version I. I am very interested, but I’ll probably hold off until I see some more in-depth reviews. I generally prefer primes, but since I don’t even own a native zoom for Sony’s, maybe this is the one.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

Looks *very* small and light. DPReview says the optics are also much better than version I. I am very interested, but I’ll probably hold off until I see some more in-depth reviews. I generally prefer primes, but since I don’t even own a native zoom for Sony’s, maybe this is the one.
Funny, now that I think about it I don't even own a prime. This looks interesting, will have to see what the reviews are like but I already have this focal range covered in my 16-35 at f4. f2.8 is appealing but I rarely have a use for opening it up that much with the shots I take, I would say at an average I'm at f8 or higher regardless of which lens I use because I typically need a wide depth of field.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I've been waiting for this baby to arrive!!! I'm definitely interested, but like you guys I want to see reviews from a few sources first. When I was a Nikon shooter the 24-70mm was one of my favorite lenses. I do have primes which cover between 24-70mm, but not all at f/2.8 and it would be convenient to go out with just my 12-24mm, the 24-70mm and my 100-400mm at times.

kenoh

Muddling on through
Site Donor
Reaction score
It does look interesting in the way the body has been shortened. I watched a Jared Polin review of it and his conclusion was that unless you have an A1 - Clix springs to mind - then there isn’t enough of an increase in performance to justify the upgrade costs.

IIRC though, the 24-70 GM was no slouch anyway and so this is diminishing returns for sure.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
When I was first exploring the Sony lenses, since I'd loved my Nikon one in that same range, of course I had the 24-70mm GM in mind but some reviews of it seemed to be rather lukewarm or negative so I didn't even put the first version on my list at all, especially after seeing hints a while back that there might be a new version coming eventually, which indeed has proved to be the case. I'm in no hurry, but yep, now that 24-70mm GM II is on my list of eventual purchase possibilities.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Weirdly enough, this may prompt me to buy the 16-35 gm. I was thinking about it, and the lenses I find myself using are my 24 and 35 primes, and my 70-200 zoom. Sometimes also my 85 prime, though that’s relatively rare. I have a 55 and some adapted 50s and never use them. I was thinking the 24-70 would fill in that gap but as I was trying to justify it to myself I realized I don’t like taking photos much between 40 and 80.

But having a 16-35 would allow me to carry one lens most of the time when I travel.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Weirdly enough, this may prompt me to buy the 16-35 gm. I was thinking about it, and the lenses I find myself using are my 24 and 35 primes, and my 70-200 zoom. Sometimes also my 85 prime, though that’s relatively rare. I have a 55 and some adapted 50s and never use them. I was thinking the 24-70 would fill in that gap but as I was trying to justify it to myself I realized I don’t like taking photos much between 40 and 80.

But having a 16-35 would allow me to carry one lens most of the time when I travel.
My 16-35 (Canon adapted or used on my backup 6D) is my next go to lens after my 70-200 as well, it's awesome for landscapes and anywhere I need wide angle. I do have the 24-105 as well but have used it maybe once or twice since purchasing it.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My 16-35 (Canon adapted or used on my backup 6D) is my next go to lens after my 70-200 as well, it's awesome for landscapes and anywhere I need wide angle. I do have the 24-105 as well but have used it maybe once or twice since purchasing it.
I’m flip-flopping. Now I’m thinking of putting that money aside, and saving up each month to buy a Leica Q3 when it comes out :)

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone

Speaking of the 24-105…. Six months ago I was cleaning stuff up and reorganizing things I’ve been holding onto. Came across a 24-105 at the bottom of a drawer. Couldn’t remember buying it. A real mystery. Asked a friend if it was hers thinking I borrowed it and never returned it. Nope. Turns out it was part of a package deal when I bought my 6D long ago. And never used it and had forgotten about it being at the bottom cf a drawer. A little embarrassing, I’m sure it’s a decent lens.

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Speaking of the 24-105…. Six months ago I was cleaning stuff up and reorganizing things I’ve been holding onto. Came across a 24-105 at the bottom of a drawer. Couldn’t remember buying it. A real mystery. Asked a friend if it was hers thinking I borrowed it and never returned it. Nope. Turns out it was part of a package deal when I bought my 6D long ago. And never used it and had forgotten about it being at the bottom cf a drawer. A little embarrassing, I’m sure it’s a decent lens.

Funny what you find sometimes in those drawers you never look in.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah, it came as part of the kit that my friend sold to me. Hey man, at F4 that's a pretty decent lens to come with your kit, it is an L after all.

Top Bottom
1 2