Starlink: Internet Access of the Future

U

User 189

This looks really fascinating! Does anybody plan on signing up for Starlink? It seems like a great solution for anybody living in remote conditions.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
On the surface this sounds good, but Pumbaa’s link gives me pause. Thirty thousand satellites? In addition to everything that’s already up there? Sounds like a nightmare for NASA space navigation.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
On the surface this sounds good, but Pumbaa’s link gives me pause. Thirty thousand satellites? In addition to everything that’s already up there? Sounds like a nightmare for NASA space navigation.
I’ve got a friend from college who is an astronomer. She is pretty angry about the Starlink satellites.

U

User 189

Starlink.png

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Been a while since I checked into this, but last I checked it was pretty cost-prohibitive while not being substantially better than competitor satellite internet that is already available.

It seems there's a lot of Jobs' "fake it until you make it" philosophy going on right now with the addition of screwing your early adopters by making them subsidize your shortfalls thought making them unwilling and unpaid beta testers.

U

User 189

Been a while since I checked into this, but last I checked it was pretty cost-prohibitive while not being substantially better than competitor satellite internet that is already available.

It seems there's a lot of Jobs' "fake it until you make it" philosophy going on right now with the addition of screwing your early adopters by making them subsidize your shortfalls thought making them unwilling and unpaid beta testers.
The cost is expected to go down as time goes by.

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The cost is expected to go down as time goes by.

Yeah, as soon as they get more people to pay them high rates to be beta testers.

This is long overdue but the people who would benefit from it the most probably can't afford the high rates. They're not using it on their yacht.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Simple physics should make it better. I had satellite internet from 1994 to 2003 (both 1-way and 2-way) and the Ping was horrible due to the 47,200 mile round trip for every page request or page load. Plus they had this thing they called the FAP (no not that kind) or Fair Access Policy. Basically data caps to keep kids downloading movies from killing the network for someone that just wants to check email or read news. I want to say back then they were 750M/day.

But this new system with the satellites only 300 miles above the surface, the Ping issue would be gone and with that many satellites, bandwidth shouldn't be a problem. That said, 5G should at some point eliminate most issues. You can put up towers a lot quicker and cheaper than launching satellites.

So we will see.

Top Bottom
1 2