Steam Deck? HOOAHH!

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score
Other than that it looking like you need some extra large hands to even use the thing, it seems pretty interesting. I might pick one up.

U

User 189

Other than that it looking like you need some extra large hands to even use the thing, it seems pretty interesting. I might pick one up.

Finally! A proper competitor to the Nintendo Switch! Ever since Sony killed off the PlayStation Vita, there's been a missing gap in the handheld console market. Nintendo has yet to release a beefier version of their console.

I hope the Steam Machine makes a comeback too.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

I logged back in to Steam for the first time in ages to get ready for pre orders tomorrow.

Only to see this...

Why is my account not able to place a reservation until Sunday?
We are aware of potential unauthorized resellers, and as an additional safeguard to ensure a fair ordering process, we’ve added a requirement that the reserver has made a purchase on Steam prior to June 2021 for the first 48 hours of reservation availability.

I hadn't made a purchase since 2017, so I'm not sure if I can get in the first set of orders. Or if that means an account had to have made an order before that date.

Just in case, I managed to pre order a new Nintendo Switch OLED, to give a Switch a try.

U

User 189

This thing is pretty much a Steam Machine 2.0. It's a Linux powered gaming PC, after all. Just Switchified.
The Steam Machine was more in line with the Xbox One or the PlayStation 4 rather than the Nintendo Switch. On the other hand, the Steam Deck is more in line with the Nintendo Switch rather than the Xbox One (Series X/S) or the PlayStation 4/5. :)

Even though it runs Linux, it's not an ideal PC in the traditional sense. As a handheld console with PC-level technical specifications, it's an amazing device (especially since it'll work with all of your Windows and Linux games).

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
One thing I did NOT catch. When comparing this to the Switch, it's important to note that the DOCK is NOT included in those prices, it will be sold LATER. So out of the box it's the PC version of Switch Lite, with no date set yet for the dock.

U

User 189

One thing I did NOT catch. When comparing this to the Switch, it's important to note that the DOCK is NOT included in those prices, it will be sold LATER. So out of the box it's the PC version of Switch Lite, with no date set yet for the dock.
Having that thing docked... it still seems like a dream device, that's for sure. A great (and superior) replacement for the aging Steam Machine!

U

User 189

Eh, it's not their fault. No one knew Valve was gonna announce a new console yesterday. Seems more like a shitty bout of luck for Elgato to me.
They could've held off on the press release. It came out after Valve's announcement, right?

Renzatic

Reaction score
Reservations open up in 15 minutes for $5 a pop. I think I'm going to get the highest end version.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Yeah, I get my reservation in. It's when you try to pay for it, it completely hangs up for me.

I have $10 sitting in my Steam Wallet for years, so it's a no brainer reserving. It just keeps hanging up when I try to pay with that, Paypal, or a a card.

I finally got past that, and now it hangs up on the next step.

It doesn't seem like any system can stand on online crush of purchases, no matter who it is.

FINALLY. Just got my email confirmation.

Now the fun part is waiting to see until December, and IF I get chosen to actually purchase the mid tier model.

U

User 189

It doesn't seem like any system can stand on online crush of purchases, no matter who it is.
I think it's a good indicator that Valve has a very successful (and competitive) console on their hands. Nintendo better watch out!

Renzatic

Reaction score
Hell, I can't even get the reservation page to load up at all anymore. I might just have to wait until tomorrow, and hope for the best.

Top Bottom
1 2