Steve Bannon banned from Twitter after he called for beheadings

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
As Donald Trump loyalists flail to make any of their wild conspiracy theories stick, they're resorting to rhetoric reserved for terrorist dictators and Twitter is not having it.

From CNN
Bannon falsely claimed President Trump had won reelection, despite several key states still being too close to call, and said that he should fire both Fauci and Wray.
He then said he would go further: "I'd put the heads on pikes. Right. I'd put them at the two corners of the White House as a warning to federal bureaucrats. You either get with the program or you are gone."

bannon3.png

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
While I could say "good for Twitter", I see this as a preemptive strike on the part of Twitter.

These platforms have weaselled their way out of having to accept any responsibility whatsoever for much of the bilge, bile, arrant nonsense and downright - and destabilising - lies they have allowed to be broadcast and transmitted via their platforms.

When this was just private venting and ranting, of a few obscure (deservedly so) lunatic fringe groups (of course, it is aways instructive to see from which particular part of the lunatic fringe, the lunatics break out) it could be easily defended as "permitting free speech."

However, when such gross irresponsibility threatens democratic institutions, the validity of democratic elections, and the existence of democratically elected governments, then, it becomes an existential threat, and will need to be dealt with.

Whatever about the US, I will be astounded if the EU - which has a superb track record in regulating markets in goods and services - does not move to put manners (and some sense of accountability and oversight) onto these tech platforms over the coming years.

Last edited:

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
Ah, I missed reading your thoughtful posts. I learn new words every time! Who else would use "arrant" in 2020? :ROFLMAO:
These platforms have weaselled their way out of having to accept any responsibility whatsoever for much of the bilge, bile, arrant nonsense and downright - and destabilising - lies they have allowed to be broadcast and transmitted via their platforms.

Arkitect

Peripatetic
Reaction score
Instagram
His kind always put me in mind of Kipling's quote:

When Aitken acquired the Daily Express his political views seemed to Kipling to become more and more inconsistent, and one day Kipling asked him what he was really up to. Aitken is supposed to have replied: ‘What I want is power. Kiss ‘em one day and kick ‘em the next’ and so on. ‘I see’, said Kipling, ‘Power without responsibility – the prerogative of the harlot throughout the ages.’

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I admit to having fantasized about sticking Bannon with a knapsack full of day old bread and 16oz of bottled water into some ongoing and actually anarchic situation like say around Mogadishu in the period of 2006-2009. Just to be instructive about what incitement to "just burn the place down" actually brings to anyone's table.

Meanwhile here and in his recent adventures in now right-leaning European countries, Bannon remains a walking cautionary tale about the potential for prosecutable slides from populist rhetoric into completely illegal incitement of violence.

In reality though I'd just be happy to see that slimy guy jailed for financial malfeasance. I'll be quite unhappy if he manages to skate.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Can't be a good time for ol' Steve right now

The day after Steve Bannon mused about beheading FBI Director Christopher Wray and Dr. Anthony Fauci, the Trump loyalist’s powerhouse lawyers asked a federal judge on Friday to postpone a hearing scheduled for Monday because they intend to withdraw from his criminal case.

“Mr. Bannon is in the process of retaining new counsel, and Quinn Emanuel intends to move to withdraw. As a result, Mr. Bannon respectfully requests that the status conference in this matter be adjourned for three weeks so that he may formally retain new counsel,” Bannon’s current counsel William Burck wrote in a two-paragraph letter.

Burck did not immediately respond to an email requesting comment, with the inquiry prompting an automatic message stating that he will be difficult to reach as he defends another client at trial. The law firm did not state any reason for the shake-up, which follows Bannon’s fantasizing about putting Wray and Fauci’s “heads on pikes” as a warning to federal bureaucrats who do not bend to the president’s will. Social media companies quickly banned Bannon from their platforms, and ex-prosecutors warned that such remarks may have jeopardized Bannon’s bail as he awaits charges related to an alleged border-wall scam.
The guy is possibly facing more than a decade if he loses his case. 👀

Top Bottom
1 2