Support has consequences.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
200208253_10160570555082502_8768890113197992683_n.jpg

Can you imagine the level of fear such an occurrence would generate today?

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
200208253_10160570555082502_8768890113197992683_n.jpg

Can you imagine the level of fear such an occurrence would generate today?
My eyes must be deceiving me, but it looks like quite a lot of people. Way more than even the “Million MAGA March” and Trump’s inauguration combined.

I admit that I wasn’t previously aware of this event at all. Wonder what would have happened today. Would the fear of real consequences from provoking a peaceful crowd that big keep law enforcement in check? Or would they’ve tried to nip it in the bud before it got that big?

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1404807414361346050/

My eyes must be deceiving me, but it looks like quite a lot of people. Way more than even the “Million MAGA March” and Trump’s inauguration combined.

I admit that I wasn’t previously aware of this event at all. Wonder what would have happened today. Would the fear of real consequences from provoking a peaceful crowd that big keep law enforcement in check? Or would they’ve tried to nip it in the bud before it got that big?
If it happened today under the same circumstances, the Nat'l Guard along with fencing would have been up a month before the event, because of the involvement of Louis Farrakhan would have made this a terrorist event for some congress persons.

The interesting thing is how often the event has been tried to replicate, to the point that we got million maga marches.

Neither marches actually got a million bodies. Supposedly the original million man possibly got up to 800K participants, while million maga march...

Screen_Shot_2020-11-16_at_16.11.44.png

The "million" maga march was held in an area that at most could hold 135K. Supposedly it was more like 10s of thousands. With the smaller second one having fights & police involved.

With the atmosphere today as we saw with BLM protests & 1/6, any such event like the original million march would political fodder for the party of crying cancel culture & crt.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I’ve only just started it, but CNN has what looks like an excellent deep dive called “Paths to Insurrection”. It follows several people and tells how they came to be convinced that they needed to show up on January 6 to overthrow the government.

CNN claims the stories are best experienced with media enabled, but I found you can keep the sound off; they have captions beneath the videos that you can meet instead. In the very first part of the series, a woman describes the Trump movement as something that appeals to losers and drifters and gives them a place to put their anger. Sounds about right to me.

The first story, at least, is an interesting tale of how what sounds like a basically a good person can be corrupted by this movement.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Some are finding out attempting to overthrow democracy isn’t a full time paying gig and is substantially more useless than a liberal arts degree when looking for employment.

Perhaps they should move to a country where supporting the dictator pays off.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The melting turd just had his law license suspended. maybe he can hold a press conference at the white house restaurant to complain about it.

He had crack down on the mob, cleaning up crime in NYC when it was considered the most dangerous city in the US, and feel good symbolic mayor of America during 9/11. But why rest on just one or all of those things when you can go down in complete disgrace.

I know the dark side of his legacy pre Trump is known and discussed but that’s barely worth mentioning compared to his Trump and post Trump years rock bottom lows. If anything he is now forever tied to Trump and NYC corruption from the day Trump became a well known public figure.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Some are finding out attempting to overthrow democracy isn’t a full time paying gig and is substantially more useless than a liberal arts degree when looking for employment.

Perhaps they should move to a country where supporting the dictator pays off.

The article mentions that disenfranchisement may just further radicalize these jackasses, which could be true. It also happens to convicted felons though, and there are numerous professions that would naturally want to purge these guys from their ranks. They're a huge liability for police departments or as lawyers.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
The article mentions that disenfranchisement may just further radicalize these jackasses, which could be true. It also happens to convicted felons though, and there are numerous professions that would naturally want to purge these guys from their ranks. They're a huge liability for police departments or as lawyers.

It’s as if they will be treated like black people have been treated for most of this country’s history. I wonder how they feel about black people? It’s like a real-world Twilight Zone episode.

Perhaps they should prepare a statement on how they are good insurrectionists who just got entrapped by a system stacked against them.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I wonder how today’s climate would handle a silent sit-in?

I even wonder how many people today could handle a silent sit-in personally.

There seem to be so many people today who are uncomfortable with silence lasting more than a few seconds. Bizarre... especially when some of the same people get extremely annoyed when separated from their mobile devices during course of a meal or a wedding, funeral, etc. I mentioned this to a friend who is a clinical psychologist and he sighed and said "fear of meeting the self coming around a corner."

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
I realize this can came across as brutal, but I am looking at in reference to WHO is trying to make the woman some kind of martyr.

The law & order crowd that wanted to talk about George Floyds' criminal record, his drug use, whatever, but they want to retcon a person who actively participated in an insurrection on the capital.

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1412778614450311174/

If this gets into their feelings, it needs to be shown more often.

This is on top of the two retail giants KMart & Sears who supposedly sold retcon shirts over the 4th of July weekend.

FFS. No wonder those two chains are swirling downward.

lizkat

Reaction score
Wow, Memo to Ronna McDaniel... the guy's past his sell-by date. Time for the RNC to cut him loose. A few thousand die-hard fans left don't justify holding the whole Republican Party in thrall to a has-been. Open up the primary ballots, let's see some actual Republicans step up. Ya might not have to suppress so many votes on spec that way.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score

lizkat

Reaction score
I actually read "bullshit" like "It's bullshit!" as in something that makes him angry. As a result, this amused me twice, even though the first was based on a misconception.

I get that. Had a friend once whose dad oversaw quality assurance at a Ford plant in Jersey. Bought himself a new car of that current model run one day and drove it on home, exited vehicle with a great fling of the door, meaning to show off the car's features to his family waiting in the driveway, at which point the door pretty much came off the vehicle since it was missing part of a hinge. Oops. "This is bullshit!" was exactly what he said, according to his son, and he didn't mean that what had just happened wasn't true. He was just... beyond livid and embarrassed as hell.

There's a lot of talk already about whether Trumpism is already fading into the past, which of course would be infuriating to his remaining base and to GOP officials still trying to retain that base. The most recent edition of the FT Swamp newsletter the other day touched in part on a conversation with historian Larry Tye, who has written about "America's love affair with bullies"... anyway Tye compares the rise and eventual fall of Trump to that of guys like Joe McCarthy and Father Charles Coughlin, asserting that there comes a time when all these guys overreach and then their descent is fairly swift.

Tye suggested Trump may have already reached his Army-McCarthy moment in losing the 2020 election and facing condemnation in some Republican circles for his incitement of the Capitol insurrectionists. But doesn’t Trump still wield huge influence in a way McCarthy was unable to do after 1954? “McCarthy’s support never fell to zero,” Tye argues. “He just fell enough to where a majority of Americans were no longer believing him.”

And we're there already, officially, as of the 2020 elections. The thing is, unlike in the waning of the McCarthy era, Trump's decline may also end up provoking a formal split of the Republican Party. The GOP never saw its party machinery land so much in thrall to Joe McCarthy as has been the case with Trump. Yes, Trump still has a rally base and support from some apparently well entrenched state party leaders. Yet the potential electorate that could help keep Republicans in power at national levels is not one that will ever again vote to elect Donald Trump. This is not a recipe that bodes well for the party itself, never mind Trump (or his surrogates), no matter which faction ends up holding their tattered banner.

The GOP's fatal mistake probably predated their embrace of Trump. I'd put it back at when they would not take up Bush 43's push to get real immigration reform on the books. The party leadership may or may not be xenophobic but that has not been their focus: they mean to maintain the wink-and-nod to informal arrangements for cheap, undocumented labor from across our southern border.

What's not to like about for the meatpacking, hospitality and construction industry: cheap labor, no benefits, no worries about discrimination lawsuits or worker safety violations... after all, e-verification of identity is still voluntary. An undocumented worker, a source of cheap labor acquired under the counter and who later may become problematic, can simply be dismissed without recourse and without further expense to the company. But meanwhile and paradoxically, the GOP appeals to xenophobia in its electorate, encouraging their fear-based anti-immigration stance, even while surreptitiously making it difficult for those voters to earn a living wage if they compete for jobs in low paying sectors of our economy.

Talk about support having consequences. Voters working entry level jobs in those three industry segments and who vote for Republicans have been undercutting their own prospects for decades.

It remains to be seen how much of the Biden administration's immigration reform legislation makes it over the finish line. But Biden will use executive orders to reverse what he can of the most unreasonable of Trump's (and Stephen Miller's) tweaks to how the USA handles immigration.

lizkat

Reaction score
Bringing frivolous assertions of a stolen election to court still has consequences...now coming home to roost in Colorado.

In a scathing 68-page opinion, Magistrate Judge N. Reid Neureiter found that the lawyers made little effort to corroborate information they had included in the suit, which argued there had been a vast national conspiracy to steal the election from former president Donald Trump.

He particularly called out the duo, Gary Fielder and Ernest John Walker, for quoting Trump in their legal filing, which cited a presidential tweet that claimed without evidence that voting machines manufactured by the company Dominion Voting Systems had ‘’deleted 2.7 million Trump votes nationwide.’’ Neureiter called that allegation ‘’highly disputed and inflammatory’' and said the lawyers made no efforts to verify it.

The two lawyers filed the case as a class action on behalf of 160 million American voters, alleging a complicated plot engineered by Dominion, Facebook, its founder Mark Zuckerberg, his wife Priscilla Chan, and elected officials in four states. They had sought $160 billion in damages.
The case was dismissed in April, but Neureiter ruled that the attorneys had violated their ethical obligations by lodging it in the first place and by peppering their motions with wild allegations that they had made little effort to substantiate. Legal rules prohibit attorneys from clogging the court systems with frivolous motions or from filing information that is not true.

Here comes the punchline. The lawyers have to pick up the legal expenses of everyone they sued. Imagine the billing rate of the likes of Zuckerberg and Chan, plus the raft of lawyers Facebook would have brought to bear on the case.

Calling the suit, ‘’one enormous conspiracy theory,’’ Neureiter ordered that the duo must pay the legal fees of all the individuals and companies they had sued — 18 separate entities in all — as a way to deter future similar cases.

Neureiter ordered the defendants’ to compile records showing how much time they had spent on the case and their typical billing rates to determining how much the two lawyers will owe.

‘’In short, this was no slip-and-fall at the local grocery store,’’ wrote Neureiter, who was appointed as a magistrate judge by other judges. ‘’Albeit disorganized and fantastical, the Complaint’s allegations are extraordinarily serious and, if accepted as true by large numbers of people, are the stuff of which violent insurrections are made.’’

Top Bottom
1 2