Survival/Horror Genre

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
So this is one of the gaming genres we __love__ (we're also big horror movie/literature fans, so I guess it makes sense). This isn't always "supernatural", in fact, the RE series is really SciFi Horror!

Some games/series we've had a blast with, or are still enjoying:

Resident Evil
Silent Hill
The Last of Us
The Evil Within
Dead Space

Some old[er] school titles like Eternal Darkness (NGC), and Alone in the Dark (PC)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We're currently replaying The Last of Us (PS4) since we only made it about 1/2 way through on the PS3 (it got a little janky ...), it looks pretty amazing with the PS4 update (and we're on a PS4Pro so the extra detail level is super nice), and we already have TLOU 2 purchased :D

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Ah, Resident Evil. So many memories!

Almost gave a friend a heart attack when I called him one evening just as a creature jumped him in the game. Impeccable timing. Those old phones were noisy as frak, and this particular one was right next to my unsuspecting friend… :mrgreen:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ah, Resident Evil. So many memories!

Almost gave a friend a heart attack when I called him one evening just as a creature jumped him in the game. Impeccable timing. Those old phones were noisy as frak, and this particular one was right next to my unsuspecting friend… :mrgreen:

The brand new game - Resident Evil Village - is getting pretty excellent reviews, since we're like 4 games deep in our queue, I guess we'll wait till sometime around 2023 to play it :D

Hahaha, yes, and there's something sort of scary about that old school ring sound ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Funny enough, the other night we tossed on the first RE movie, it's terribly fantastic / fantastically terrible, I mean, it's great adaptation of the game, super entertaining, while not being a great film. It can be __both__. :D

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I used to like the horror genre for gaming, but have mostly have sworn off it. I last played Doom3 (the one set on Mars) and Dead Space.

I played several of the Alien vs Predator games which are best described as SciFi Horror, and it made me so tense I ended up with a sore neck. ;) And that was with a pulse rifle. The sound of the motion detector is permanently engraved in my brain. And now I’m gearing up to self flagelate myself with Alien Isolation. :D

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I really miss the old school Resident Evil with its fixed camera angles. Felt like a horror movie!

Sure, the future with VR is interesting, but the restrictions imposed by carefully chosen camera angles sure was something else.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
We like slow burn, exploration, less run~n~gun, more story driven, specifically a scary, weird, creepy story o_O

I fucking HATE COD type games, same for GTA ...

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I really miss the old school Resident Evil with its fixed camera angles. Felt like a horror movie!

Sure, the future with VR is interesting, but the restrictions imposed by carefully chosen camera angles sure was something else.

Ha! It was almost better.

Yeah, I haven't really enjoyed any extended VR gaming, I've tried a number of products (and was actually a partner in an AR/VR company ....), but it's not for me. I only game WITH the wife (where we play a single player game collaboratively) or with the family (i.e., Mario Party/Kart).

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
Ha! It was almost better.

Yeah, I haven't really enjoyed any extended VR gaming, I've tried a number of products (and was actually a partner in an AR/VR company ....), but it's not for me. I only game WITH the wife (where we play a single player game collaboratively) or with the family (i.e., Mario Party/Kart).
I’m sure VR is awesome for some things. Really looking forward to trying Star Wars: Squadrons and some racing games. Classics like Doom or Doom 2 would be interesting to try adaptions of.

Collaborative single player gaming reminds me, again, of Resident Evil. Some friends sitting on a bed, fully immersed in the game, following the protagonist‘s struggles. Low on ammo. Lousy weapon. Yay! Managed to kill the scary monster! …then one of the friends says “Wait! Weren’t there two of them?” milliseconds before the other baddie jumps in out of nowhere and promptly sends our poor protagonist to the afterlife.

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
Not that I have the time for video games at the moment, but I've heard that DayZ was interesting.

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
I love Silent Hill 2, and 1,3 and 4 are pretty good too. Still yet to resume TLOU but also a good game.

I used to watch some Resident Evil games and they looked quite good. I know Village is popular right now.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I just woosed out on playing Alien Isolation, I bought it on sale cheap for a day I might want to play it, got egged into playing it, installed it, loaded it up, found myself in a space station in distress, that alien music, about an hour later, shut it down. Did not see the alien, but I definietly had had enough. The real reason I quit? I had strange dreams the last couple of nights while I was preparing to play it, and I remembered last time I played an Alien game. On that occasion I had a pulse rifle. No such luck this time. :)

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
I just woosed out on playing Alien Isolation, I bought it on sale cheap for a day I might want to play it, got egged into playing it, installed it, loaded it up, found myself in a space station in distress, that alien music, about an hour later, shut it down. Did not see the alien, but I definietly had had enough. The real reason I quit? I had strange dreams that last couple of nights while I was preparing to play it, and I remembered last time. On that occasion I had a pulse rifle. No such luck this time. :)
We’re all aliens to one another, aren’t we? Sweet dreams!

Got the same game myself for free a while back, still haven’t played it. Not sure if I should take your post as a recommendation to play or not to play, but thanks for the story. 👍

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We’re all aliens to one another, aren’t we? Sweet dreams!

Got the same game myself for free a while back, still haven’t played it. Not sure if I should take your post as a recommendation to play or not to play, but thanks for the story. 👍

If you really like getting immersed in your games, loved the first Alien movie and want to experience what the crew members from that movie experienced as the prey being hunted, without the proper equipment to fight such a creature, then it is highly recommended. It’s been well received in the gaming community as taught and scary.

7A78DABC-EB27-4457-BC7E-708EB270064F.jpeg

I’d play if not for the related dreams I tend to get when immersing myself in such a story. I can watch such movies and not be bothered because the movies are relatively short. This is versus putting 20-100+ hours in a game, although Alien Isolation is not that long. :)

Last edited:

Pumbaa

Verified Warthog
Reaction score
If you really like getting immersed in your games, loved the first Aliens movie and want to experience what the crew members from that movie experienced as the prey being hunted, without the proper equipment to fight such a creature, then it is highly recommended. It’s been well received in the gaming community as taught and scary.

I’d play if not for the related dreams I tend to get when immersing myself in such a story. I can watch such movies and not be bothered because the movies are relatively short. This is versus putting 20-100+ hours in a game, although Alien Isolation is not that long. :)
Thanks, much appreciated dude!

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I love Silent Hill 2, and 1,3 and 4 are pretty good too. Still yet to resume TLOU but also a good game.

I used to watch some Resident Evil games and they looked quite good. I know Village is popular right now.

Yeah, there's something oddly compelling about Silent Hill, the story is usually a bit confusing, there's lots of weird, abstract concepts, but there's a visual design language that works, they have a bit of a Jacob's Ladder kind of vibe, it's creepy and dreamlike.

We STILL haven't made it back to TLOU, we got our "new" PS4P, played for a few hours (we replaced the PS3 game), we even have TLOU2 on deck!

Maybe this weekend, but we're SUP'ing all day tomorrow, so Saturday? We're OOT Tue through Friday, we have a suite at the Hard Rock at Universal :D

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
Yeah, there's something oddly compelling about Silent Hill, the story is usually a bit confusing, there's lots of weird, abstract concepts, but there's a visual design language that works, they have a bit of a Jacob's Ladder kind of vibe, it's creepy and dreamlike.

I've been watching long playthroughs of SH 1-4 all week, Nubzombie is such a good streamer.

Is it worth watching Jacob's Ladder? It's one of the main inspirations for SH.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I've been watching long playthroughs of SH 1-4 all week, Nubzombie is such a good streamer.

Is it worth watching Jacob's Ladder? It's one of the main inspirations for SH.

Definitely, it's pretty terrific, specifically the 1990 film by Adrian Lyne as there's actually a remake (I wasn't even aware of for years) that's craptacular.

I mean, it's dark, confusing, horrific in spots, but once the credits roll, it'll all kind of come together. That's probably enough said. :)

Top Bottom
1 2