General Swimming for Exercise

AG_PhamD

Elite Member
Reaction score
I'm out now. So it is someone else's problem.

And our local health department is about half worthless.

You’d think whoever’s in charge would be very concerned about the health dept coming in, shutting things down, potentially getting bad press. losing the facility money, and potentially fining them.

I suppose if the local health department isn’t receptive, I imagine the state health department would be.

The problem I have with my pool is this weirdly over-controlling and clearly angry at the world lifeguard. She’s like 40 too, what are you doing life guarding?

One time I was minding my own business and she stops me to move me into a lane with with another guy so that this random lady could get her own lane. So me and this 70 year old man split the lane and moments later she stops me to tell me we need to circle swim. I am by far the fastest person in the pool and I’m being unnecesssrily forced to swim behind one of the slowest.

So I go up to her to politely ask why I was moved and why we had to circle swim. Her response was “I need you to put on some clothes before I can talk to you”. Right. At that point I had it so I changed and went back. Her response was basically women might not feel comfortable sharing a lane with a man and we had to circle swim just in case another guy came. So I asked if the lifeguard if the woman had requested this and she said no. I can only think this lifeguard is projecting some sort of past trauma?

Then there was the period she started enforcing the shower before you swim rule, which no one has ever followed, ever. Someone would come in, they’d be just about to step into the pool and she would blow her whistle as if someone was drowning and scream at them about hygiene rules.

On another occasion she was walking around the perimeter of the pool. This guy (mid 20’s) in the lane next me, very fast swimmer, happened to do a flip turn while she was walking by the end of his lane and she got splashed with like 3 drops of water. So she marches to the other side of the pool, hits his head with her lifeguard tube to stop him, and starts yelling at him. At first he thought she was joking and when he realizes she is serious he says “are you effing kidding me”. She says she’s kicking him out for splashing her and swearing (he didn’t say the f word). I try to calm things down pointing out you can’t see if someone as at the end of your lane. She then threatens to kick me out.

Another time I watched her kick a ~7 year old boy out of the pool because he was “running” (hardly, I wouldn’t even call it a jog). He was a little kid excited to jump into the diving well. No subtle “hey can you please walk” or anything resembling a a warning. Just booted. The kid starts crying hysterically, the mom gets pissed, and she still insists he has to leave and his crying is “disturbing others”.

Then the other day I swam later in the day than I normally do. There were 9 people in this 6 lane pool and she stopped everyone to move us into 2 lanes. Why? Because “there is a swim team coming in in *30 minutes* that’s using these lanes. 30 minutes!

I’ve complained about this truly awful woman a few times. I know other patrons have too. I thought they fired her at one point, evidently not. Thankfully I’m rarely there when she is.

Talk about a psycho.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2