Tech stuff

U

User.45

Since we are MR refugees, i have 3 tech questions I wonder you guys could give your insights on.

1. Does anybody find ScreenTime of any use? In my books it's a total failure. I would want to use it to limit website use, but I want it to only run the timer when the website is in focus or at least apparent. Since it runs the timer even if it's the 15th tab that has been in the BG for days it is useless.

2. Anybody with experience with Home Assistant? I want to add my car and TV controls to Apple Home, which again is a total lackluster from day #1.

3. Anybody with eGPU experience? At one point I had my eGPU running absolutely hotpluggable with my MBP, then with Catalina it feels obliged to close all my windows/kill all apps if I unplug it. Is this a universal issues?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Hey, we have a tech forum that needs some love, you good if we move this over there?

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Since we are MR refugees, i have 3 tech questions I wonder you guys could give your insights on.
I can give my .02 on a couple of these issues.

1. Does anybody find ScreenTime of any use? In my books it's a total failure. I would want to use it to limit website use, but I want it to only run the timer when the website is in focus or at least apparent. Since it runs the timer even if it's the 15th tab that has been in the BG for days it is useless.
The only interaction I've ever had with it is to close out the notification it sends once a week. I use my device a lot and don't feel like I really need a babysitter but if I ever want details it's nice to know it's there.

2. Anybody with experience with Home Assistant? I want to add my car and TV controls to Apple Home, which again is a total lackluster from day #1.
I originally had high hopes for this but by the time it came around I was already setup with SmartThings and a few other devices. It feels like Apple came late to the game and still isn't up to par with some of the other bigger systems out there.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I would imagine screen time is helpful if you have a houseful of children. Otherwise, it’s worthless.

The other two things...no idea.

Top Bottom
1 2