Tesla recalls nearly 54,000 vehicles that may disobey stop signs

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
But it still annoys me when people want to take an L2 system and try to use it like it is L4 or L5.
I don’t even know what this means. One shouldn’t be expecting every Tesla driver to be a well-informed enthusiast. Trust me, they aren’t. They see “autopilot” and hit the button. That’s it, and the manufacturer is responsible for deceptive advertising. I’m surprised that any self-driving stuff is legal at all, especially “beta” versions that you can download. Any such system should be subject to government agency (or a designated industry standards body of some kind) testing and approval before finding its way into any vehicle.

When designing things like this, manufacturers should go for a drive in the DC area (or any major metro area) and see just how idiotically drivers behave. You have to dumb down any system for that level of person or those idiot drivers will be even more likely to kill somebody.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I don’t even know what this means. One shouldn’t be expecting every Tesla driver to be a well-informed enthusiast. Trust me, they aren’t. They see “autopilot” and hit the button. That’s it, and the manufacturer is responsible for deceptive advertising. I’m surprised that any self-driving stuff is legal at all, especially “beta” versions that you can download. Any such system should be subject to government agency (or a designated industry standards body of some kind) testing and approval before finding its way into any vehicle.

When designing things like this, manufacturers should go for a drive in the DC area (or any major metro area) and see just how idiotically drivers behave. You have to dumb down any system for that level of person or those idiot drivers will be even more likely to kill somebody.

levels-of-driving-automation.jpg.imgw.850.x.jpg

Autopilot/FSD is Level 2 and only meant for highways. People want to treat these systems as a level 4 or 5.

I believe it is shared responsibility. Manufactures shouldn't be deceiving and people should actually learn about their vehicles. Have some self-responsibility. If people are going to be ignorant on how to drive their cars, their licenses should be ripped up. Companies shouldn't have to spoon feed people. Have the information available, yes but not spoon fed.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
levels-of-driving-automation.jpg.imgw.850.x.jpg

Autopilot/FSD is Level 2 and only meant for highways. People want to treat these systems as a level 4 or 5.

I believe it is shared responsibility. Manufactures shouldn't be deceiving and people should actually learn about their vehicles. Have some self-responsibility. If people are going to be ignorant on how to drive their cars, their licenses should be ripped up. Companies shouldn't have to spoon feed people. Have the information available, yes but not spoon fed.
Thanks for the chart. I think there are terrible drivers out there, but let’s be realistic; they won’t lose their licenses.

The person who realizes 100 feet from their exit that they are in the left lane and need to cross 4 lanes to get there is the same person who says “ooh autopilot!” … pushes the button, and commences to scrolling through videos on TikTok. You cannot get rid of such people, so when it comes to high-speed vehicles, you need to design for the lowest common denominator. Also, the levels of self-driving are not covered at driving school or on the drivers’ license test. Perhaps a test should be necessary for anybody buying a car with such features. It is not currently.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I have experienced it as well though very infrequent since my use case have been on divided highways. While the issue really presents itself on undivided highways. I am not denying there is an issue. I know my posts may be coming across as Tesla Fanboy/defending Tesla, but it isn't meant to be. I guess it bugs me more with people inappropriately using a system. It's a giant pet peeve.

I see way too much reliance on companies spoon feeding consumers and if they don't spoon feed the consumer, the consumer is completely ignorant and doesn't bother to do any research of their own. Way too many people on reddit who took delivery of their Model 3 Performance are now going, " Tesla unsafe in the snow!" because they had no idea the car came with summer tires. The information is there on Tesla's website. But since the delivery associate didn't spoon feed them, they didn't bother to learn anything about their car.
I think this is fair but I'll just say that if they simply let us have an option for standard CC without all the frills this could all be avoided. Just set to 55 and disable by break or control, something we've been able to do in standard cars for decades.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
I assume you have gone through this?

Wow. Thanks. Did not know you could do it via Flash Drive. Tried Wifi. I even have a repeater in the garage so I have good coverage in the driveway and it still wouldn't update. Was just going to wait until it was due for service and have the dealer do it. But forgot to tell them last month.

Will be doing it via Flash drive today. (y)

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Reaction score
Wow. Thanks. Did not know you could do it via Flash Drive. Tried Wifi. I even have a repeater in the garage so I have good coverage in the driveway and it still wouldn't update. Was just going to wait until it was due for service and have the dealer do it. But forgot to tell them last month.

Will be doing it via Flash drive today. (y)
Herd,

It explains the process.
Should be easy.
Good luck, mate.

diamond.g

Power User
Reaction score

I 100% wish that NHTSA would make Tesla limit the system to the operation domains they mention in their owners manual (and in the long warning they make you read before you turn on AP for the first time). I also am 100% sure existing owners would pitch a fit.

None of what we have so far really is self driving, as the easiest way to make that distinction is when the auto manufacturer takes responsibility for the mistakes the system makes. Tesla sure doesn’t (as seen by the lawsuits on the death of some folk so far) And because of that you really shouldn’t trust that AP/EAP/FSD won‘t try to kill you at its earliest convenience. And I say this as some one in “FSD Beta” (OMG why can’t it be called Navigate on Autopilot City Streets).

Top Bottom
1 2