Texas

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Why do you think that is? Biden "controls" the DOJ so why hasn't Garland charged them?
This has been explained elsewhere
There is a sort strategic reason for this. The conductors of the symphony of lies are almost entirely, if not entirely, Republicans. Because of this, attacking them directly from a government run by Democrats could (and probably would) be painted as using their position of power (such as it is) to persecute the opposition. Hence "Tyranny!" It is a dangerous position in which to put oneselves.

Meanwhile, the civil courts provide a serviceable venue. The terrortsars can be sued with abandon by anyone who can establish standing. Such actions would not be seen as a political attack by agents of the government and, even if unsuccessful, could serve to drain significant resources from the coffers of the aspiring autocrats.

Thus, in a very real way, Garland's strategy is probably the best approach.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Something missing in the discussion which I thought @Herdfan might have reported back on… is that it’s basically impossible to label a domestic group a “terrorist organization” so you cannot get any kind of domestic terrorism charges. The Patriot Act was written to target foreigners. The entire word “terrorist” doesn’t apply to Americans no matter how heinous their crimes… when it comes to the Patriot Act. (Sorry the “USA Patriot Act” to be precise.)

This needs to be fixed.

Here’s a good explanation from various experts:

According to the CRS report, “an individual may commit criminal acts that are widely considered domestic terrorism and be prosecuted for the criminal acts themselves, but an individual cannot be charged with committing an act of domestic terrorism under current federal law.”
“For example, Timothy McVeigh, widely considered a domestic terrorist, was convicted of murder, conspiracy, and using a weapon of mass destruction in the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City that killed 168 people, but he was not convicted of domestic terrorism,” the report said.
If Timothy f-ing McVeigh isn’t a terrorist… well it just goes to show how xenophobic the anti-terror laws are in America. Thanks Dubya…

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The DOJ is a separate branch of government, it is not controlled by the president. Something the current POTUS clearly understands, and the former guy did not understand at all.
Thank you for this. Does @Herdfan not recall that the AG is supposed to be independent? Maybe he thinks Bill Barr’s inexcusable conduct was the norm. Just another tenet of our democracy destroyed by Trump.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
The DOJ is a separate branch of government, it is not controlled by the president. Something the current POTUS clearly understands, and the former guy did not understand at all.
Thank you for this. Does @Herdfan not recall that the AG is supposed to be independent? Maybe he thinks Bill Barr’s inexcusable conduct was the norm. Just another tenet of our democracy destroyed by Trump.

I understand that it is supposed to be. But I also know that the AG serves at the will of the President, as do all members of the cabinet. So if the AG isn't doing what the President wants, they can simply be replaced.

I guess I am just a bit more cynical that some of you. I mean JFK picked his BROTHER. Tell me there was an arms length relationship there. Of course we know how that ended so maybe it wasn't a great idea.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I understand that it is supposed to be. But I also know that the AG serves at the will of the President, as do all members of the cabinet. So if the AG isn't doing what the President wants, they can simply be replaced.

I guess I am just a bit more cynical that some of you. I mean JFK picked his BROTHER. Tell me there was an arms length relationship there. Of course we know how that ended so maybe it wasn't a great idea.
You prefer autocracy over the rule of law? Not surprising, based on your support of Trump.

And no mention of the actual terrorism laws in America that prevent even Timothy McVeigh from being charged with terrorism?

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Meanwhile, we have people who actually COMMITTED TERRORISM at the Capitol not even being charged with terrorism.

Research current American laws concerning terrorism. Come back when you’re done with your homework. Hint: Patriot Act.

Ok, so if they can't be charged with terrorism, why are you complaining about them not being charged?

If Timothy f-ing McVeigh isn’t a terrorist… well it just goes to show how xenophobic the anti-terror laws are in America. Thanks Dubya…

Also, Dubya had nothing to do with McVeigh. The OKC bombing was in 1995 so he could have been charged under the laws in effect at that time. Plus he was given a lethal injection and is no longer walking the planet, so does it really matter what he was or wasn't charged with?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Ok, so if they can't be charged with terrorism, why are you complaining about them not being charged?

Also, Dubya had nothing to do with McVeigh. The OKC bombing was in 1995 so he could have been charged under the laws in effect at that time. Plus he was given a lethal injection and is no longer walking the planet, so does it really matter what he was or wasn't charged with?
On the first point, the law should be changed. Why does “terrorism” only apply to foreigners in the eye of American law?

Good point on the second - but the fact that Dubya and friends passed anti-terror laws in 2001, knowing that events like the Oklahoma city bombing had recently occurred, and did NOT allow for Americans to be charged as terrorists… tells you how xenophobic the USA Patriot Act was.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
You prefer autocracy over the rule of law?
The President has nearly absolute control over the Executive Branch which is a dubious situation. I am not even convinced that the "Chief Executive" concept works well in private industry, much less in the government, and is a notion that probably should be revisited.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The President has nearly absolute control over the Executive Branch which is a dubious situation. I am not even convinced that the "Chief Executive" concept works well in private industry, much less in the government, and is a notion that probably should be revisited.
All the discussion of the DoJ encouraged me to do a bit of research. The DoJ was founded in 1870, and was initially focused on arresting members of the KKK, who were considered terrorists at the time.

The current AG is having to do basically the same thing (Proud Boys and Oath Keepers are 21st century KKK). Now THAT is sadly appropriate.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I heard a report recently on NPR that apparently buying fake temporary paper tags is a thing in the Houston area. I guess if you do this to avoid paying for tag renewal, you’d better hope that you are not pulled over? :unsure:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I heard a report recently on NPR that apparently buying fake temporary paper tags is a thing in the Houston area. I guess if you do this to avoid paying for tag renewal, you’d better hope that you are not pulled over? :unsure:
Thanks @Huntn ... This sounded interesting, so I started perusing the inter-webs. Sounds like Texas has an online portal, and people can sign up as a “dealer” and print unlimited tags. Some unsavory characters have taken advantage of this. So, the tags themselves are not fake; they are official Texas tags, but they are being made and sold fraudulently by people who do not own a car dealership. These tags number in the hundreds of thousands.

The Texas DMV system makes it very easy for people to take advantage of it:

In Texas, used car dealers must have an independent GDN license to buy, sell or exchange used vehicles, according to the charges. To obtain such a license, applicants must access the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles’ (TxDMV) online eLicensing application portal to apply. Once an applicant obtains a GDN license, they can buy, sell or exchange used cars and create temporary buyer tags for the transaction through the TxDMV’s online eTag portal. The portal is web-based and password protected, and only licensed GDN holders can access it, according to the indictment. However, the GDN holder can create other users on their account to allow access to the portal to create and issue buyer tags.

There is no restriction on the vehicle, buyer or vehicle identification number inputted into the portal,
according to the indictment.

According to the charges, these three knowingly participated in the scheme to issue and sell more than 580,000 fraudulent tags to buyers across the United States. They allegedly provided false information such as fraudulent identities, drivers’ licenses, lease agreements and business signs in the online application portal to obtain GDN licenses for fictitious car dealerships. The indictment further alleges they advertised the sale of Texas buyer tags on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram and used email to communicate and deliver fraudulently-obtained tags. They also received and shared proceeds from the fraudulent sale of Texas buyer tags via electronic payment services like Cash App and Zelle, according to the charges.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well, the first time I lived in Texas was 1978. It was a pretty good place. I was Republican leaning Navy Officer, but the Democrats were in charge of the State. I was amazed at how good the roads were, and discovered it was oil revenue that powered Texas.

I would have never chosen to come back here to live, too hot, except my wife talked me into it so she could be closer to her parents. Since the mid 80s I have been leaning Left, and the farther right, the Right matches, the farther Left I end up leaning just to hold my position. ;)

Living in a Red State is tough. I listen to the good ole boys rail about liberals and democrats while praising Trump and end up biting my tongue, responding to one old geezer the age of my father, I don’t talk politics at the gym. This or I would have let him have it and found myself surrounded. ;)

Now Abbott appears to be on the defensive after the Winter storm disaster and appears to throwing some red meat to the anti-mask Rumpsters. It’s very discouraging because wearing a mask does nothing to harm busines, but it does help us climb out of the COVID hole faster, but since when in the last 20 years have Repubkicans done anything not based on a partisan twist? :oops:
Are you Fool’d Yet?
Regarding last February‘s Winter Storm in Texas that almost collapsed the electrical grid, a report out of Austin on NPR reveals that nothing has been done except superficial acts and lip service such as firing the CEO of Ercot which is just a superficial act, a sacrificial lamb, to make it look like something was done. Note, it’s the industry that controls the grid, not ERCOT or its CEO. Now the Governor has made an announcement that the issue was addressed although this reports notes nothing substantial was done. None of the natural gas power plants have been winterized.

It was point per out that some time in the past, in the name of efficiency that the operating margin, excess power was cut to the bare minimum for… profits.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks @Huntn ... This sounded interesting, so I started perusing the inter-webs. Sounds like Texas has an online portal, and people can sign up as a “dealer” and print unlimited tags. Some unsavory characters have taken advantage of this. So, the tags themselves are not fake; they are official Texas tags, but they are being made and sold fraudulently by people who do not own a car dealership. These tags number in the hundreds of thousands.

The Texas DMV system makes it very easy for people to take advantage of it:
In essence they are fake, false tags.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
In essence they are fake, false tags.
I don’t disagree, but they are actually issued by the Texas DMV... so if a cop runs the plate, it would come up as valid. A fake tag would come up as fake. So this is a major failure by the Texas DMV. They didn’t notice the hundreds of thousands of tags being issued from dealers that didn’t sell any cars? Makes you wonder if they are clueless or if they have people on the inside.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score

It's a problem here that needs to be fixed. So many people that are committing crimes are committing them with fake paper tags.

Top Bottom
1 2