Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
0039F58A-338C-4C54-BE10-BA0FC0CDCF81.jpeg

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — When Texas’ new abortion law made no exceptions in cases of rape, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott defended it with an assurance: Texas would get to work eliminating rapes.

One year later, Lindsey LeBlanc is busy as ever helping rape victims in a college town outside Houston.

“The numbers have stayed consistently high,” said LeBlanc, executive director of the Sexual Assault Resource Center in Bryan, near Texas A&M University. Despite hiring two additional counselors in the past six months, she still has a waitlist for victims.

“We are struggling to keep up with demand,” she said.

The constant caseloads in Texas are another example of how Republicans have struggled to defend zero-exception abortion bans that are unpopular in public polling, have caused uproar in high-profile cases and are inviting political risk heading into November’s midterm elections. A year since Texas’ law went into effect in September 2021, at least a dozen states also have bans that make no exceptions in cases of rape or incest.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Texas experienced more power outages than any other state over the past 20 years, report says​

Over the past 20 years, Texas experienced more power outages than any other U.S. state, according to a recent study by environmental advocacy group Climate Central.

What's more, the report's authors warn that blackouts are likely to become more common nationwide as climate change drives an increase in extreme weather events.

The report hits with Texas still reckoning with the causes and effects of 2020's catastrophic Winter Storm Uri. During that disaster — one of the costliest in state history — Texas' power grid collapsed, plunging millions into darkness and leaving hundreds dead.

Although the Republican-led Texas legislature enacted reforms in the wake of Uri, many critics argue they didn't go far enough or acknowledge the effects of climate change. Many consumers rode out heat waves this summer amid worries the overtaxed grid would flatline again.

Of the 1,542 weather-related outages documented in the U.S. over the study's 20-year analysis, 180 were in Texas. Michigan ranked second with 132 and California third with 129.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — When Texas’ new abortion law made no exceptions in cases of rape, Republican Gov. Greg Abbott defended it with an assurance: Texas would get to work eliminating rapes.
The easiest way to eliminate rape is to pass a law affirming what Todd Akin of Missouri said about "legitimate rape", and how women's bodies can "shut that whole thing down". Hence, if a woman gets pregnant, it was not actually rape, so there is no need for an exception.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Federal Judge Tells A Texas County Not To Harass Black Voters​

After an NAACP chapter alleged voter intimidation in a predominately Black community in Texas, a federal judge ordered officials at a polling place in Jefferson County not to harass or intimidate voters. This includes refraining from asking them to read their addresses aloud or standing near them as they fill out their ballots.
The judge, Donald Trump appointee Michael J. Truncale, emphasized that he was not making “a finding of fact.” Still, he did grant a temporary restraining order stopping the reported behavior and instructing the county’s clerk to implement the order by 7 a.m. Tuesday.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
hard to believe he was not promoted.

Texas Teacher Fired After Telling Students He Thinks His Race 'Is The Superior One'​

On the one hand, what he said was not "the white race is superior" but something more along the lines of "there is a thing called 'ethnocentrism' which is common among people" and there is truth to that. It is very difficult to study other cultures without seeing them through the lens of the one you grew up in.

On the other hand, he seemed to be saying that we all feel as though our people, our way, is superior to not-our-people/way, which is just one more way of saying that otherism is a natural behavior that is hardwired into humans. Evidence strongly suggests that otherism is not hardwired, that it is a culturally-learned behavior, that it is feasible to all but eradicate it simply by raising our children differently.

In other words, while he was not proclaiming the absolute wonderfulness of the white race, he was essentially normalizing racism, suggesting that it is a natural thing that we cannot ever escape. That is loathsome.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
In other words, while he was not proclaiming the absolute wonderfulness of the white race, he was essentially normalizing racism, suggesting that it is a natural thing that we cannot ever escape. That is loathsome.
He twice said he was a racist. From CNN

In the audio, a student asks the teacher to repeat himself. The teacher says, “I said, ‘I am a racist.’ That’s what I said. Do you know what that means?”

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Texas where you can carry a gun with no training or license but let your kid walk in a safe neighborhood thats an arresting.​

Suburban Mom Handcuffed, Jailed for Making 8-Year-Old Son Walk Half a Mile Home​

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score

Texas where you can carry a gun with no training or license but let your kid walk in a safe neighborhood thats an arresting.​

Suburban Mom Handcuffed, Jailed for Making 8-Year-Old Son Walk Half a Mile Home​

This is the most absurd thing ever. Does this also mean children cannot go out to play anymore?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Sheesh! When I was a little girl we neighborhood kids were free to roam, ride our bikes, do whatever we wanted without parental supervision every second. There was no such thing as a "play date." If we wanted to play with another child, we went and knocked on their door to see if they could come out and play. It was a peaceful suburban neighborhood and no one thought a thing about saying, "have fun, be home by suppertime" as the kid(s) ran out the door to play with others or by themselves. Most of us walked to and from school, too, usually together but sometimes on our own. That said, when we were older, if we were planning to go beyond the boundaries of our own neighborhood, say, to go to the mall or the library, we did ask permission so that our parents would know where we were. Everything was well within walking or bicycling distance. Times have changed, though....

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
This is the most absurd thing ever. Does this also mean children cannot go out to play anymore?

In my neighborhood, it's pretty empty these days. Nothing like when I was a kid. I'm one of the youngest "kids" out playing (okay, riding a bike/etc) in a suburban neighborhood. It's very weird. It's one reason I'm in favor of making more walkable, safe-for-everyone-not-just-cars spaces for people in cities. A young teen should be able to go to a common space, meet with friends and go home without needing someone giving them a lift in a car, or having to deal with people doing 25mph (or worse) right in front of their house.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

This makes a lot more sense when you realize the residents of every other house on the block are satanic child molesters. And unlike the slogging along satanic child molesters of the 80's, these fuckers can actually run! Also they no longer need to first be invited in before they start the molesting. And they no longer require a full moon to operate. It's pretty insane.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Sheesh! When I was a little girl we neighborhood kids were free to roam, ride our bikes, do whatever we wanted without parental supervision every second. There was no such thing as a "play date." If we wanted to play with another child, we went and knocked on their door to see if they could come out and play. It was a peaceful suburban neighborhood and no one thought a thing about saying, "have fun, be home by suppertime" as the kid(s) ran out the door to play with others or by themselves. Most of us walked to and from school, too, usually together but sometimes on our own. That said, when we were older, if we were planning to go beyond the boundaries of our own neighborhood, say, to go to the mall or the library, we did ask permission so that our parents would know where we were. Everything was well within walking or bicycling distance. Times have changed, though....

That's how it was in suburbs of Rochester NY back in the 50s. A usual command to one of the girls would be "go run over to Brian's and tell the rest of the boys to come home for supper." Sending one of the boys already back home was a bad idea: he'd get over to the neighbor's place and end up shooting hoops. We walked to and from school, elementary was about a mile, middle and high about 2 miles. With luck in bad weather we cadged a ride from our dad or the dad of the kids across the way. But coming home was always the shoe leather express, even in snow when we had to walk in the roads if it had snowed during the day and people weren't home to shovel the walks.

We rode bikes to the city proper to watch AAA league baseball once we were over age 10. But that did require asking permission from parents. I learned the hard way it wasn't ok just to say "Tell Mom I went with Leah to the ballgame." Yeah, no. I missed a bunch of ballgames after I tried that out once.

Earlier on, over in a more agricultural area of the Hudson Valley, the rules were even more lax for even younger ages. For me at age five it went like this: chores first, then no wandering off past the next farm over in any direction, keep outta creeks in springtime or after rainstorms, don't be trying to adopt any livestock from a neighbor's farm (that one was aimed at me, after a hijacked duckling incident), and no importing of amphibians or reptiles into the house or barns. Harsh times! 😊

Top Bottom
1 2