TF Guy! You know what it means

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
A relative nobody, but...

I think we need to come up with a new category of mental illness for these types. It's one thing to have a shady past or be a conspiracy theory hunter. It's quite another to also run for public office.

I’m not sure what’s worse; legitimate crazies who run for/are elected to office, or people like Kari Lake and others who know better but leverage the crazies for their own financial and political clout.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I’m not sure what’s worse; legitimate crazies who run for/are elected to office, or people like Kari Lake and others who know better but leverage the crazies for their own financial and political clout.

Both are bad but it's sometimes hard to tell who's potentially more dangerous, a perhaps very malleable newbie or the savvy extremist with some prior experience in elective or appointed politics, i.e. someone who already knows how to exercise levers of power past their own brief.

I'm concerned about the August 23rd primaries in New York State this year. We're not used to late primaries like that (it's a second one and it's due to the redistricting), and so turnout is predicted to be as low as 11%. Imagine that: it wouldn't take a whole lot of votes to land a slot on the general election ballot. We're not talking dogcatcher here, but congressional seats that were remapped as well as the state senate and assembly slots. It's expected that in the state level races, the Rs are trying to oust some incumbent conservatives and replace them with pro-Trump candidates farther to the right.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Both are bad but it's sometimes hard to tell who's potentially more dangerous, a perhaps very malleable newbie or the savvy extremist with some prior experience in elective or appointed politics, i.e. someone who already knows how to exercise levers of power past their own brief.

I'm concerned about the August 23rd primaries in New York State this year. We're not used to late primaries like that (it's a second one and it's due to the redistricting), and so turnout is predicted to be as low as 11%. Imagine that: it wouldn't take a whole lot of votes to land a slot on the general election ballot. We're not talking dogcatcher here, but congressional seats that were remapped as well as the state senate and assembly slots. It's expected that in the state level races, the Rs are trying to oust some incumbent conservatives and replace them with pro-Trump candidates farther to the right.

When it comes to low turnout and free and fair elections, we deserve the people we elect. It’s one thing when the GOP - already given an advantage in national elections thanks to our outdated senate setup and electoral college - try to overturn results they don’t like or inflict strict voter laws to enhance their own chances. It’s another when people just don’t show up to vote.

I understand some people are disgusted by politics as a whole or just don’t care, but in this day and age, it’s sort of a pick your poison scenario. Democrats do better when there’s high turnout, so when dangerous or ignorant GQP cultists get elected by razor-thing margins due to low democrat turnout, we will have nobody to blame but ourselves.

I’m hoping the extreme decision by the Supreme Court to gut Roe vs. Wade, Trump’s antics and the ridiculous position they’ve taken on things like CRT, trying to overturn the 2020 election and Biden’s string of legislative victories really show voters what’s at stake and get them to the polls this November.

Although republicans are so convinced of their chances this November, should they not gain control of the house (or senate, or both), I wonder how much they’ll double-down on their “stolen elections” rhetoric more than they already have. It could create a whole different set of issues.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I heard an interview with somebody in the Republican party who has some high level position on who the national party runs for office. He was quoted as saying you should vote for people you would hire for a job, meaning smart and qualified. The interviewer then went into a list of the insane people currently running for office on the Republican side and asked "Which one of these people would you hire?". They then deflected by saying the people in those states will decide with their votes. She pressed a second time, same deflection. She then went on to say that he is one of the main people in the party who helps decide who gets to run....and same "the people in those states will decide with their votes" deflection.

The fact is he wouldn't hire any of the idiots she mentioned so all he could do is deflect. I'd go as far as saying with the current Republican party the main reason a lot of these clowns are running is because nobody would hire them to do anything important.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I heard an interview with somebody in the Republican party who has some high level position on who the national party runs for office. He was quoted as saying you should vote for people you would hire for a job, meaning smart and qualified. The interviewer then went into a list of the insane people currently running for office on the Republican side and asked "Which one of these people would you hire?". They then deflected by saying the people in those states will decide with their votes. She pressed a second time, same deflection. She then went on to say that he is one of the main people in the party who helps decide who gets to run....and same "the people in those states will decide with their votes" deflection.

The fact is he wouldn't hire any of the idiots she mentioned so all he could do is deflect. I'd go as far as saying with the current Republican party the main reason a lot of these clowns are running is because nobody would hire them to do anything important.

They're all treading water to see whether those downstream pro Trump candidates can take elections this midterm.... and of course now there's that little matter of the nominal head of party facing god knows what sort of charge for removing and then not completely remedying upon request the removal and faiiure to return restricted documents.

This faux pas by their unruly scofflaw of a leader will not be so simply swept under the rug. The Rs are already in pretzels trying to defend him, still maintain how grave a sin it was for HRC to have a private email server and fail to recover tens of thousands of emails, meanwhile dismissing the seriousness of Russians hacking into American voter reggie databases during the 2016 elections... and now they have to justify a former president having data in hand that could net him espionage charges?

All the top level high mucky mucks in the RNC are suddenly ever so busy supervising their interdepartment paper clip inventory surveys, or they'd be happy to take more of our questions.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

That was Senator Rick Scott, and he was asked specifically about Herschel Walker. I saw that interview.

dada_dave

Elite Member
Reaction score
Scott Adams, again,

He tells us that black people are a racist hate group, and white people should just get the hell away from them.

(I am of variously North-Sea ethnicity: on the census, under race, I marked "other".)
1677381413241.png

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Wow, Scott Adams is an asshole. And a racist one at that.

What a poor, mistreated guy. Millions of dollars and an iconic comic, and people only dislike him because he’s white. He has very sensible views - avoid black people, get the hell away from them… can’t understand why people think he sounds like a whiny racist who can’t handle accepting the results of his words and actions.

Some of these successful racists really surprise me. I mean, if you become successful based on racism, well, it’s reprehensible but understandable. But a guy like Adams who is crying like a victim - something he accuses others of - is pretty rich.

His logic is also totally flawed and further proof of his racism. He’s interjecting a political, racist slogan and applying the results of a poll to people’s belief instead of their objection to the slogan. Of course it’s ok to be white you goofy, conceited nimrod, it’s the slogan people take issue with because it’s usually used as a retort to marginalize “black lives matter” or to feign victimhood in the wake of things like debates over classroom curriculum and the like.

He tried to somewhat backtrack his statements by pretending he’s asking some deeper philosophical questions, but that’s horseshit. He made simpleton, common, low-IQ racist remarks and and black people were his target. Did he look at any polls on what white people as a whole think of the phrase “Black Lives Matter”, because the retort by racists is usually “White Lives Matter” or “All Lives Matter”.

Anyways, racist logic doesn’t work. I’m glad he’s finding that out, though he probably doesn’t care. This is who he is.

Top Bottom
1 2