That special thing you bought soon as you moved into a new place

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It doesn’t have to literally be “as soon as”, but other than basic living needs, what did you splurge on?

I have several examples. When I first moved out of my parents I got a couple pet snakes because they wouldn’t let me have snakes when I lived at home. When I moved into an apartment with my best friend we bought a bar as the keystone of the total apartment mancave. Recently I moved into a house and got a firepit for the backyard after nearly 2 decades of living in an apartments where that is never an option.

U

User.45

It doesn’t have to literally be “as soon as”, but other than basic living needs, what did you splurge on?

I have several examples. When I first moved out of my parents I got a couple pet snakes because they wouldn’t let me have snakes when I lived at home. When I moved into an apartment with my best friend we bought a bar as the keystone of the total apartment mancave. Recently I moved into a house and got a firepit for the backyard after nearly 2 decades of living in an apartments where that is never an option.
Bidets:D:D

U

User.45

:D

That certainly adds more meaning to a fresh new start.
Housewarming Hookers
2565672_print_1.png

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

I'm now ashamed to admit that when moving to a new place the potential reduction of mud butt has never been on the radar, but now the AI-driven advertisements I am shown while surfing the net will be forever changed..or at least for the next month.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
After spending some time in Japan, I fully am onboard with the Bidets. You have not lived until you tried one of the ones that put warm water right on target.

U

User.45

After spending some time in Japan, I fully am onboard with the Bidets. You have not lived until you tried one of the ones that put warm water right on target.
You use warm water? What a lightweight. Nothing wakes you up after a morning "read" quite like a hard stream of cold water right where it counts.
In my new house neither electric nor warm water intake are options. I was a little worried about the cold water, but @Yoused is right. It’s pretty fine. The trick is manual oscillation :D

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
When I bought my house I bought all new furniture. Nothing in particular though. Lol

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
In my new house neither electric nor warm water intake are options. I was a little worried about the cold water, but @Yoused is right. It’s pretty fine. The trick is manual oscillation :D

You could live in Minnesota where the water lines are buried extra deep so they don't freeze. Coldest water I have ever felt out of the tap.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Actual answer:

Moved into my own place, umm, a whole ago :D First thing I bought: a new car :LOL:

No furniture, like I had none.

sgtaylor5

Power User
Reaction score
First apartment I moved into I bought myself a new bed. Before it was a mattress on a three-quarter inch sheet of plywood. I rolled like a rotisserie all night.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
A lawn mower. :)

I hadn't mowed grass for several years because I lived in a condo and then the first house we bought had a yard that was very slopped so I preferred to pay someone to do it. So when we moved into a house with a nice flat front yard, I was going to mow it myself.

So I researched and researched and ended up buying a nice Honda HRX mower. Instead of a metal deck, this one was made of plastic. I was kind of worried the motor would outlast the deck as the plastic decks were fairly new. But 16 years later, both motor and deck are going strong. I did have to replace the bag and I get new blades every 5 years or so, but otherwise it has been a great mower.

But with the impending move to AZ, I am actually looking forward to not having a yard. :D

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score

Really good cookware, (Italian and German stainless steel, (Lagostina, Fissler), French (Le Mauviel) and Italian (handmade) copper), seriously good knives (Japanese), proper cutlery and crockery and crystal glassware among others.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
New floor joists. Yeah. "Chainsaw Bob" was the first guy I called after consulting with some locals. After that, a couple guys who knew how to jack up a fixer-upper house without breaking anything important.

I was a weekend commuter. After the joists were out and the new ones in, I spent two weekends walking on a couple of 10-inch planks set over the new joists to get to the stairwell to the second floor, while the next guys I hired were laying new subfloors.

The chicken-souled cat I had back then made me go first when it was time to head upstairs!

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2