The 2020-2021 NFL thread

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Aw, Dallas. You let me down. 🙁

HOLD ON. Dallas is making a last gasp effort...

...dammit! 🙁

Good game, though!

Last edited:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
One of the advantages of having retired is that I can now stay up and watch Sunday, Monday, and Thursday night games.

Last night’s route of Tom Brady Tampa Bay by my beloved Saints was worth it. Holy shit! Gotta admit, I enjoyed it way more than I should have. The perfect ending to the perfect weekend.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
There’s this pigeon that’s been wandering around on the field for pretty much the whole Browns-Texans game, blissfully unaware of the mayhem going on around him.

This year just gets weirder and weirder. 😂

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I watched the Detroit v Washington game - another crazy finish with Washington tying it with 16 seconds left, and they couldn’t keep the Lions off the board for even 16 seconds.

Bills just started and their QB Josh Allen CAUGHT a touchdown pass. Yep it’s a crazy week so far!

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was disappointed when Tampa Bay beat Carolina. I have a soft spot for Teddy Bridgewater.

Drew Brees didn’t play at all in the 2nd half against the 49ers after a rib injury. If the 9ers hadn’t been so bad (their QB was also out at one point), we would have lost. Winston is no Bridgewater.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I was celebrating an imminent Bills win with 11 seconds and 50 yards to go for Arizona... the Hail Mary was unbelievably lucky for Arizona (of course couldn’t happen without them being super talented, but still). Oh well, would have been better to hit the bye week with a win, but the Bills are a very good team this year, and I think they will do some damage in the playoffs this year.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I was disappointed when Tampa Bay beat Carolina. I have a soft spot for Teddy Bridgewater.
I do too, plus I'm always disappointed when a team with Tom Brady wins. 😉

I was celebrating an imminent Bills win with 11 seconds and 50 yards to go for Arizona... the Hail Mary was unbelievably lucky for Arizona (of course couldn’t happen without them being super talented, but still). Oh well, would have been better to hit the bye week with a win, but the Bills are a very good team this year, and I think they will do some damage in the playoffs this year.
Agreed. I did not expect the Bills to be a good team this year, but here we are. You can say they beat some mediocre teams, but they also beat Seattle, so there's that.

Speaking of wild endings, the Browns-Texans game had one, too. With a little more than a minute left to play and Cleveland leading 10-7, RB Nick Chubb tore off a long run. He was all alone near the end zone and headed for a sure touchdown when he...purposely stepped out of bounds at the 1.

That had us scratching out heads here. I mean, why wouldn't Cleveland go for the TD so you could be up (with the extra point) 17-7?

And then the commentators explained, by stepping out of bounds, he stopped the clock with :50 left to play. Houston had no time outs, so all that was left was for Baker Mayfield to kneel on the ball twice and the game was over.

If Chubb had scored the touchdown, Houston would've had 50 seconds left to play with. While it's not likely, it's not out of the realm of possibility for Houston to score, recover an onside kick and score again. So Cleveland sacrificed the TD and the points for the sure win.

And while the commentators were congratulating Chubb on what they called a smart and selfless play, it turned out Baker Mayfield called that move in the huddle.

And now, the downside. In many places the line on the game was Cleveland by 4 points. So by avoiding the easy touchdown and leaving the final score 10-7, not only did Nick Chubb piss off anybody who had him in their fantasy league, but bettors who took the points lost money because Chubb stepped out at the 1.

I think it might be healthier if Nick Chubb stays out of Vegas for a few months.

Last edited:

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I do too, plus I'm always disappointed when a team with Tom Brady wins. 😉

Agreed. I did not expect the Bills to be a good team this year, but here we are. You can say they beat some mediocre teams, but they also beat Seattle, so there's that.

Speaking of wild endings, the Browns-Texans game had one, too. With a little more than a minute left to play and Cleveland leading 10-7, RB Nick Chubb tore off a long run. He was all alone near the end zone and headed for a sure touchdown when he...purposely stepped out of bounds at the 1.

That had us scratching out heads here. I mean, why wouldn't Cleveland go for the TD so you could be up (with the extra point) 17-7?

And then the commentators explained, by stepping out of bounds, he stopped the clock with :50 left to play. Houston had no time outs, so all that was left was for Baker Mayfield to kneel on the ball twice and the game was over.

If Chubb had scored the touchdown, Houston would've had 50 seconds left to play with. While it's not likely, it's not out of the realm of possibility for Houston to score, recover an onside kick and score again. So Cleveland sacrificed the TD and the points for the sure win.

And while the commentators were congratulating Chubb on what they called a smart and selfless play, it turned out Baker Mayfield called that move in the huddle.

And now, the downside. In many places the line on the game was Cleveland by 4 points. So by avoiding the easy touchdown and leaving the final score 10-7, not only did Nick Chubb piss off anybody who had him in their fantasy league, but bettors who took the points lost money because Chubb stepped out at the 1.

I think it might be healthier if Nick Chubb stays out of Vegas for a few months.
The Bills had to go for a TD since overtime against Arizona would almost certainly come down to the coin toss. Both teams have good offenses, and defenses are too tired to stop them by overtime. The Hail Mary... the guy was triple covered, they got a pass rush on the QB... the pass was wobbly, but Arizona got their miracle. Hopefully the Bills are saving some miracles for the playoffs!

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Watching Ravens-Patriots and in the final two minutes it started raining so hard it was hard to see anything. There was a constant muffled banging sound not unlike fireworks, but it was almost certainly raindrops battering the roof of the broadcast booth. Unreal.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Watching Ravens-Patriots and in the final two minutes it started raining so hard it was hard to see anything. There was a constant muffled banging sound not unlike fireworks, but it was almost certainly raindrops battering the roof of the broadcast booth. Unreal.
You’d think by now that every team would have an indoor stadium.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I remember that in Cleveland the idea was proposed and quickly rejected. Real men don't play in domes, they said.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Same thing. Cleveland is a rust belt, hard hat city where you’re expected to freeze your ass off while cheering on your team. Done it myself a few times.

My own not-so-hard hat is off to the fans who stayed through this past Sunday’s game. That ending must have felt like a cold monsoon.

But FWIW, I’m with you. I’d have liked to see a dome. Ultimately it wasn’t just the macho factor, though. It was considered too expensive. Taxpayers mainly paid for the stadium.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I’ve sat through enough Ohio State games (even before they closed in the horseshoe!) to really appreciate the Superdome today. I would love to go to a game in that new Vegas stadium.

Top Bottom
1 2