The 2020 Republican National Convention thread

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score

Honestly I prefer the gun toting couple over this dude holding a powerful Iraqi WMD. Thank God we had him telling us that we had to destroy an entire region, saving us from all those weapons that we later found and that were pointed at us, ready to annhilate the Western World.
I am appalled that the DNC invited him. He shouldn't even be at a Chuck E. Cheese.

Colin-Powell-UN-speech-on-Iraq.jpg

Oh I forgot, he had nice slides:

1597848003912.png

jkcerda

Site Champ
Reaction score
Honestly I prefer the gun toting couple over this dude holding a powerful Iraqi WMD. Thank God we had him telling us that we had to destroy an entire region, saving us from all those weapons that we later found and that were pointed at us, ready to annhilate the Western World.
I am appalled that the DNC invited him. He shouldn't even be at a Chuck E. Cheese.

Colin-Powell-UN-speech-on-Iraq.jpg
democrats at least used to PRETEND they were against war, no more.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Take a look at their logo at the top of this thread. Is it me, or does it look like that elephant is throwing a basketball over its back to someone? (Probably a black person that white folks feel safe with, like a Harlem Globetrotter.)

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Pretty sure pedophiles

Close. Read earlier that the Stanford student who got convicted of rape a few years back and his 6 month slap on the wrist sentence sparked national outrage is going to speak. His sentence was seen as rich white privilege in the legal system. I'm fascinated to see what the RNC thinks he has to bring to the table.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The convention schedule has been published

Be sure to tune in Wednesday at 10:31pm to see Nugent kill a moose.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
You have no idea how seeing his name as a good thing pissed me off. It truly did.

Most public servants have been more valuable to the nation than the sum of their most publicized mistakes, whether those questionable moves were their own or undertaken at behest of their superiors... and I'd certainly extend that view to Secretaries of State like Henry Kissinger, Colin Powell and Hillary Clinton, and to John Kerry for work in the Middle East, in particular on the JCPOA. Mike Pompeo... not so far, and the clock is running out to net to the upside in my book. YMMV...

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Most public servants have been more valuable to the nation than the sum of their most publicized mistakes, whether those questionable moves were their own or undertaken at behest of their superiors... and I'd certainly extend that view to Secretaries of State like Henry Kissinger, Colin Powell and Hillary Clinton, and to John Kerry for work in the Middle East, in particular on the JCPOA. Mike Pompeo... not so far, and the clock is running out to net to the upside in my book. YMMV...

Powell, Rumsfeld, Cheney are all war criminals, at least from a moral perspective. Heck even Clinton is better than Powell, she never made up WMD’s to invade a country with the idea of a “preemptive strike” (a concept I abhor) to a country that was doing absolutely nothing. I give him that his book was interesting.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Powell, Rumsfeld, Cheney are all war criminals, at least from a moral perspective. Heck even Clinton is better than Powell, she never made up WMD’s to invade a country with the idea of a “preemptive strike” (a concept I abhor) to a country that was doing absolutely nothing. I give him that his book was interesting.

Does his expression of regret after the fact count for anything? I'd say yes but I do think Powell should have resigned rather than play along in the pitch for invasion. I have been somewhat disappointed by his choices in the private sector as well. I expected more focus on giving back... more mentoring. He has done some of that but some of his other choices come off as pretty self serving.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Does his expression of regret after the fact count for anything?

For his soul and Conscience? Maybe. I wish him well on that front.

From a statecraft point of view? Absolutely not. He basically made up evidence based on scanty evidence at best, and started a war that not only destroyed a country that wasn’t doing anything, but caused the biggest rift with Europeans and other powers since WW2, while precipitating the situation in the Middle East and facilitating- as a consequence - the creation and spread of Isis. Therefore no, he should stay far from any politics.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
For his soul and Conscience? Maybe. I wish him well on that front.

From a statecraft point of view? Absolutely not. He basically made up evidence based on scanty evidence at best, and started a war that not only destroyed a country that wasn’t doing anything, but caused the biggest rift with Europeans and other powers since WW2, while precipitating the situation in the Middle East and facilitating- as a consequence - the creation and spread of Isis. Therefore no, he should stay far from any politics.
Yep, they were all bad actors back then. I'll say though that even my views on G.W. Bush have evolved over the last several years to be a bit more positive, particularly because Trump makes the guy look like a saint.

However, if we really want to place blame on anyone for the wars during the Bush years it should be Nader.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
Yep, they were all bad actors back then. I'll say though that even my views on G.W. Bush have evolved over the last several years to be a bit more positive, particularly because Trump makes the guy look like a saint.

However, if we really want to place blame on anyone for the wars during the Bush years it should be Nader.

I won’t go into the redeeming of Bush for obvious reasons (however I wonder how can someone that messed up an entire region costing hundreds of thousands of innocent lives, some of which still going on as a consequence, all based on a lie, can be considered a “saint” compared to someone that for the first time in modern US history didn’t start any new military action, but that’s a different topic for another day), especially because it’s an old political strategy (“not even the previous one was that bad!”)and it will happen again with Trump (“at least he said what he thought!”or something like that) in 10/12 years after he leaves office.
At any rate, Nader didn’t go to the UN and all across Europe showing fake WMD.

Top Bottom
1 2