The 2021 Inauguration

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
General discussion: your thoughts and hopes, as well as the actual events of the day.

I think Biden will have as controversial a presidency as Trump’s, albeit through no fault of his own. The cultists will never accept him, believing him to be illegitimate...and those within Congress will be intransigent, for the same reason. Like Obama, Biden will be fought every step of the way.

Interesting facet I’m sure the media will play up: with Trump ignoring the proceedings, the primary attendees will be:
  • a former Vice President;
  • a current Vice President; and
  • a future Vice President.

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I wish they would have a private inauguration inside the Capitol and just live stream it. My daughter had a great idea though. Since Biden is such an advocate of trains, they should hold the ceremony on a secure Amtrak car.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think this day could be mentioned without mentioning the lil' revolution that couldn't. All over the news they are talking about the plans of peaceful armed domestic terrorists gathering at state capitols on this day. I say bring it. Let the world see how small your movement actually is while posing for your own high res mug shot selfie. And this time there will be a lot less real peaceful protesters who don't want to get implicated in your horse shit.

Earlier this week Twitter HQ in SF was expecting a mass protest and the protesters were outnumbered by counter-protesters by a ratio of 2 to 1, literally. There was exactly 1 protester and 2 counter-protester. And this time I would entertain the protest being infiltrated by the opposing side because if there is one thing that is sadder than no protesters, it's 1 protester.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Traffic in DC today was a nightmare - seemingly random road closures with no lights or signs - you just get to an intersection and there’s a snowplow or something blocking the road and one cop there waving people away. I think it’s to allow for erecting barriers associated with the inauguration, but geez there was no advance warning I was aware of, and the signage was non-existent.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Then there will have to be the associated partisan stupidity...

Alabama senator Tommy Tuberville questions the timing of Joe Biden's inauguration, which the Constitution requires be held on January 20, saying in a press confernce: 'We probably could have had a swearing-in and inauguration later after we got this virus behind us a little bit'

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1349949020458917888/
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1350019765335678977/

I am guessing that at least Tommy was smart enough to realize it's too late to call for the election to be delayed until "we got this virus behind us a little bit".

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Then there will have to be the associated partisan stupidity...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1349949020458917888/
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1350019765335678977/

I am guessing that at least Tommy was smart enough to realize it's too late to call for the election to be delayed until "we got this virus behind us a little bit".

Let's remember Tuberville is the genius who as a Senator-elect for Alabama celebrated the assignment of his temporary office space, asserting publicly that now he could get down to Party business and start some fundraising for the Georgia runoffs. Think he missed the part of his briefing about the Hatch act but then he was also the guy who thought the "three branches" of govt were the WH, Senate and House...

[interviewer]: You gonna go campaign in Georgia, help them out?

[Tuberville]: Oh, yeah. I’ll go over there at least a week or two and campaign myself, along with a lot of people in my former campaign staff. We’re raising money for them, the whole caucus is. You know, I had my first caucus meeting yesterday and Vice President Pence was there and spoke to us about the next two months. I got to get up and introduce myself and tell everybody, you know, why I’m here and what I want try to get done. It was very good, had a lot of good reception. Of course, setting up an office to work. Right now, it’s a temporary office. Now, it is five rooms, it’s huge, there in the Dirksen Building. But it’s something that gives you somewhere to work out of, whether it’s interviewing, whether it’s fundraising like we’ll do for Georgia.

Also very telling in that interview was when asked if there were any special mentors he'd look to while learning his way around the arcane ways of the Senate, Tuberville noted that people who had approached him were... yeah, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Tom Cotton. And he said Ted Cruz even had him out to dinner, how 'bout that! (Yeah, so when ya see a mark... )

lizkat

Reaction score
Narcissistic till the end. What is this? Some sort of communist country?

---

Final plans for Trump's departure were still being laid a week ahead of time, but Trump has expressed interest to some in a military-style sendoff and a crowd of supporters, according to a person with whom he has discussed the matter.

Oh please. A crowd of supporters? I think they're busy doing interviews with the FBI right now.

Can we shoot him out of a cannon in true circus fashion?

How about just a couple of MPs in dress uniform just march him off to the brig.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Let's remember Tuberville is the genius who as a Senator-elect for Alabama celebrated the assignment of his temporary office space, asserting publicly that now he could get down to Party business and start some fundraising for the Georgia runoffs. Think he missed the part of his briefing about the Hatch act but then he was also the guy who thought the "three branches" of govt were the WH, Senate and House...

Also very telling in that interview was when asked if there were any special mentors he'd look to while learning his way around the arcane ways of the Senate, Tuberville noted that people who had approached him were... yeah, Ted Cruz, Rand Paul and Tom Cotton. And he said Ted Cruz even had him out to dinner, how 'bout that! (Yeah, so when ya see a mark... )
The official religion of Alabama is college football. This person accurately represents a majority of his constituents, sadly.

lizkat

Reaction score
The official religion of Alabama is college football. This person accurately represents a majority of his constituents, sadly.

Yeah but not all Alabamians are fans of the transition of Tuberville to US Senator. Bet he's already received some choice letters from blue armchair quarterbacks.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
How it started...

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) sharply criticized federal officials Monday over reports that the Department of Defense, assisted by the FBI, is vetting members of the National Guard assigned to provide security during the inauguration this week.
In a tweet Monday evening that included an article from The Washington Post, Abbott called the joint effort by the Pentagon and FBI "offensive." He also said that he would not order Texas's National Guard deployed to Washington, D.C., again if the troops under his command were "disrespected" and had to take part in the vetting effort.
"No one should ever question the loyalty or professionalism of the Texas National Guard," he tweeted.

How it ended...

Twelve U.S. National Guard members have been removed from securing President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration after vetting by the FBI, including two who made extremist statements in posts or texts about the Wednesday event, Pentagon officials said. There were no specific threats to Biden.
Two other U.S. officials told The Associated Press that all 12 were found to have ties with right-wing militia groups or posted extremist views online.

My bold.

If I thought Abbott had the brains, I’d suspect him of covering up for extremists trying to infiltrate the inauguration.

But, you know...Occam’s Razor. He’s probably just an imbecile.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I fear that we haven’t seen the last of these domestic terrorists. I’m hoping for the best but I think there’s going to be trouble tomorrow
Hoping not but I fear you could be right. The only difference this time is they would literally need to take down an army, at least we're ready for it.

lizkat

Reaction score

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

lizkat

Reaction score
It’s a start.

Let’s see how long this kumbaya moment lasts.

Yeah I hardly think the opposition showing up to the inauguration is a kumbaya thing. However, going to the pre-inauguration church service instead of seeing Trump off at Andrews is meant to be a pointed and public affirmation of the legitimacy of the election of Biden and Harris... seeing as how the Rs had made such a big deal at first of supporting Trump's desire to put a beat down on election integrity in some key states that went for Biden.

The show of unity tomorrow won't convince every Fox news viewer who bought Trump's lies (and those of Fox) but seeing McConnell and McCarthy show up with the incoming head of state at church, well it's a hell of a contrast to Trump telling his followers at the January 6th rally to go down to the Capitol and "fight, or we won't have a country any more." Two weeks later we still do have a country and nobody's holding a gun to the heads of the opposition leaders to make them appear at the inauguration of Biden and Harris.

Of course I have no idea what McConnell said to Kevin McCarthy about showing up to that service tomorrow morning. Almost immediately, things on Capitol Hill will likely have a familiar air of "oh yeah sez who?!" in both chambers. But the inauguration is meant to be mile marker of sorts, a sign of some older norms being restored.

Top Bottom
1 2