The 2021 Inauguration

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Here's an interesting side story I read the other day.

How does the nuclear football get handed off from one president to the other when Trump takes off for Florida early instead of attending Biden's inauguration?

Turns out there are multiple ones: one for Trump (deactivated and presumably taken away from him at noon today); one for the Vice President (which will be passed from Pence to Harris very subtly, behind the scenes); and a third one for the designated survivor (used during stuff like State of the Union speeches).

A different version of this story I saw had some military guy saying, "Oh yeah, we game plan the heck out of this stuff." Good to hear!
I always thought nuclear football sounded like a sport that will be played hundreds of years in the future....

Nice article, thanks for sharing.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Here's an interesting side story I read the other day.

How does the nuclear football get handed off from one president to the other when Trump takes off for Florida early instead of attending Biden's inauguration?

Turns out there are multiple ones: one for Trump (deactivated and presumably taken away from him at noon today); one for the Vice President (which will be passed from Pence to Harris very subtly, behind the scenes); and a third one for the designated survivor (used during stuff like State of the Union speeches).

A different version of this story I saw had some military guy saying, "Oh yeah, we game plan the heck out of this stuff." Good to hear!

The Guardian had an interesting - and thought provoking - article on that very subject yesterday.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Ah yeah. That's where I read the rest of the stuff. Thanks.

“So you got the ceremony going down front, [but] behind one of the big pillars there, these two guys are standing in their uniforms. And at the right moment, [the outgoing military aide] reaches over and hands it to the newly designated military aide and he takes it from that moment on.”

“We war-game this stuff, and we practise it ad nauseam for years and years,” Buzz Patterson, who carried the football for Clinton, told Business Insider, adding that the transfer needed to be instantaneous....

“We don’t take this stuff lightly. There won’t be any kind of hiccup. It’ll just go down without anybody even noticing, which is what is supposed to happen.”

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Ah yeah. That's where I read the rest of the stuff. Thanks.

Interesting that Donald Trump - graceless as ever - took his "nuclear briefcase/ball" with him, but that meant that the codes would be deactivated by - or at - noon, today (EST).

Given that Mr Biden was sworn in at - as you have already pointed out - 11.49, I wonder idly (an enquring mind) whether Mr Trump's case and codes was deactivated then, or at noon, precisely.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Interesting that Donald Trump - graceless as ever - took his "nuclear briefcase/ball" with him, but that meant that the codes would be deactivated by - or at - noon, today (EST).

Given that Mr Biden was sworn in at - as you have already pointed out - 11.49, I wonder idly (an enquring mind) whether Mr Trump's case and codes was deactivated then, or at noon, precisely.

They would be activated/deactivated simultaneously. Only one person at a time has that authority.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
They would be activated/deactivated simultaneously. Only one person at a time has that authority.

Excellent.

Relief and reassurance in one.

Until the very last minute, I had feared that that moral monster, that agent of chaos, that destructive and cruel and corrosively corrupt creature would seek to unleash something insane (a bomb on Iran, perhaps) as a final farewell gift to his country and the world.

Thank the divinities whose existence I doubt that this is no longer possible.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
He's definitely stolen some of the show:D
EsOS3nyXMAQtpkI

EsOlF8FWMAEoIaN

EsQ_6HwW4AIZwFv

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1352295468856963072/
This one is personal
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1352068094907338758/
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited: