The 2022 Midterms

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
One analysis I heard is it won’t make difference because those who feel strongly about abortion are already strongly attached to their respective political party. The most pro-choice states are already overwhelmingly democrat and the most pro-life states are already overwhelmingly republican. Then there’s everyone else where abortion is so far down on their list of priorities they are going to vote based on other reasons, even if they disagree with the SC decision.

I saw a similar analysis.

I think a key difference in voter mentality currently is on the right literally everything is a slippery slope just on the mention of something while on the left almost nothing is. If somebody brings up socialized healthcare the right thinks we are already living in Venezuela just because they mentioned it. Meanwhile, the right is actively passing all these restrictive voting and abortion laws and the left is “Maybe things won’t get that bad. We have guardrails.” which is the mantra of every losing side that slid from democracy to authoritarianism.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
AE03A119-1F1F-44C9-980B-17D4AFA6557B.jpeg

I live in ultra liberal Silicon Valley and this was on the pump when I went to get gas yesterday. The insinuation is either Biden caused gas prices to go up or isn’t doing anything about it. I believe I paid $5.65 a gallon for the lowest grade.

Nycturne

Elite Member
Reaction score
I live in ultra liberal Silicon Valley and this was on the pump when I went to get gas yesterday. The insinuation is either Biden caused gas prices to go up or isn’t doing anything about it. I believe I paid $5.65 a gallon for the lowest grade.

While I don’t live in Silicon Valley, I do work in one of the other larger Big Tech regions, and there’s a surprisingly strong libertarian streak in both regions from what I can tell. We’re blue in aggregate, but oh boy the Tech Bros I’ve worked with…

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
It's. A. Cult.

The guy is remarkably on brand for Trump supporters. If Trump got thrown in prison for life his supporters would still want him to run.....and after about 5 minutes of thought McConnell would word salad support it...which would be upheld by the current activist supreme court.

I'm not saying all Republicans are this insane but I wish they would wake the fuck up and acknowledge this element and serious threat. Democrats aren't running their mouths going "Hyper progressives? What do you mean? We don't have any of those in our party, just patriots."

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
The guy is remarkably on brand for Trump supporters. If Trump got thrown in prison for life his supporters would still want him to run.....and after about 5 minutes of thought McConnell would word salad support it...which would be upheld by the current activist supreme court.

I'm not saying all Republicans are this insane but I wish they would wake the fuck up and acknowledge this element and serious threat. Democrats aren't running their mouths going "Hyper progressives? What do you mean? We don't have any of those in our party, just patriots."

Just based on what I see on social media, Republicans are dead set on supporting Republicans no matter what they do. I know my social media viewing isn't scientific, but they are so scared of losing power and white people becoming the minority in this country that they will support whomever they need to support with an R next to their name no matter how stupid that person is. It could come out tomorrow that Trump, Cruz, and Abbott raped 12 year old girls and they would still call it fake news and vote for them again. These folks are that into the cult. I saw it during the TX freeze last year. TX is a red state with a republican governor, but they somehow managed to blame our freeze on AOC and liberals LOL There is nothing you can do with these people. The US is just full of fucking idiots that continue to vote against their own interest. People in TX will continue to vote these idiots in even if they have to freeze every year and risk possible death. The US will crumble one day, and it will be from within. It won't be an outside threat. Every year we get closer and closer to Gilead.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Just based on what I see on social media, Republicans are dead set on supporting Republicans no matter what they do. I know my social media viewing isn't scientific, but they are so scared of losing power and white people becoming the minority in this country that they will support whomever they need to support with an R next to their name no matter how stupid that person is. It could come out tomorrow that Trump, Cruz, and Abbott raped 12 year old girls and they would still call it fake news and vote for them again. These folks are that into the cult. I saw it during the TX freeze last year. TX is a red state with a republican governor, but they somehow managed to blame our freeze on AOC and liberals LOL There is nothing you can do with these people. The US is just full of fucking idiots that continue to vote against their own interest. People in TX will continue to vote these idiots in even if they have to freeze every year and risk possible death. The US will crumble one day, and it will be from within. It won't be an outside threat. Every year we get closer and closer to Gilead.

The elevation of states' rights will destroy the US. I'm not against some state's rights, but at some point, and we're almost there, it's preposterous to call us the "united" states. Our federal government is a joke and that's the Republican's plan. So I say we dissolve the whole damn thing and become more like the European Union. Let the red states manage their own welfare system without help from the blue states. Have at it.

Renzatic

Reaction score
Let the red states manage their own welfare system without help from the blue states. Have at it.

That's not fair to states like North Dakota, which is basically a dumping ground for 200,000 poor people! THIS IS LIBERAL TYRANNY! YOU WANT TO TAKE AWAY THEIR QUALITY OF LIFE FOR YOUR STUPID WOKE POLITICS!

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
That's not fair to states like North Dakota, which is basically a dumping ground for 200,000 poor people! THIS IS LIBERAL TYRANNY! YOU WANT TO TAKE AWAY THEIR QUALITY OF LIFE FOR YOUR STUPID WOKE POLITICS!

I want the great state of North Dakota to take care of their great people.

Honestly I don't think it will be utopian in either all blue countries or all red countries, and some will definitely be downgraded to shit hole country status overnight, but I think we've had enough of each other's shit and it's time to just evolve and move away from thinking we're united. We're clearly not. It doesn't have to be all horrific slaughter of each other. We can compete in sporting events while living in a place more aligned with our idealogy.

Renzatic

Reaction score

Honestly I don't think it will be utopian in either all blue countries or all red countries, and some will definitely be downgraded to shit hole country status overnight, but I think we've had enough of each other's shit and it's time to just evolve and move away from thinking we're united. We're clearly not. It doesn't have to be all horrific slaughter of each other. We can compete in sporting events while living in a place more aligned with our idealogy.

It'd be an utter disaster from top to bottom. None of the individual states have the resources necessary to sustain their populations with resources from within their own borders. The best case scenario is that these 50 individual countries allow interstate travel and commerce to continue unabated, but how would, say, Missouri deal with one of their sovereign citizens earning a paycheck in that godless liberal hellhole that is Illinois, putting money into their government's coffers?

California and Texas are probably about the only two states that could initially survive the transition. They're our two most wealthy, populous states in the union. Problem is, they both have to get their food and water from other states. They're both coastal states, so they could rely on foreign import to get their needed supplies. Problem there is that the cost would be an exponentially greater sink on their budget relative to what they had previously. That, amongst myriad other issues, would lead to these newfound countries having to raise taxes on their citizens to higher levels than they were paying under the aegis of the previously United States to compensate.

Long story short, the richer states might be able to outlast the poorer ones, but they'll all eventually fail for various reasons. We'd all be within 3-5 years of total societal collapse. The end result won't be 50 peaceful states living in harmony. It'd be total balkanization, with each state blaming the others for their current poor situation.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

You guys are both leaving out something that would come of prioritizing state's rights. Flight. People living in places crying about how "woke" their state is MAY flee to a "non woke" state. Imagining it's some throwback to a bygone day of America's mythical TV past. Perhaps having to live near a state's border by a "woke" state to get that job at a company that doesn't want to be in a "non woke" state. Where people in a "woke" state have to get all their art & crafts & Chik Fil A by delivery. Where some states will shamelessly despite the violations, punish a company that speaks out against a governor's plan or attempts to wean from that state's dependence on fossil fuel.

The most illuminating is when governors decide to penalize anyone trying to leave or seek a service elsewhere that the state outlawed, all the while crying later about the intrusion of gov't into people's lives. To the eventual crying that one state is illegally using resources of their own for themselves, when they shared previously.

It will be good times for all. :greenthumb:

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
My husband takes great glee in ripping off those stickers. Then he goes on a lengthy tirade about inflation (in general) and the cost of gas in other countries … and how either Biden is mighty powerful to control gas prices in so many other countries, or the people blaming him are full of shit.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
People blaming inflation on Biden when you have executives on tape bragging about raising prices and reaping the rewards. This is a manufactured inflation due to the unrelenting and unregulated corporate greed. They weren’t talking about offsetting costs, or making it through a pandemic - just that raising prices is good, do it when you can, people get used to high prices.

Republicans would rather point at Biden and democrats and vote for racists who will reward that behavior with more tax cuts for the wealthy and cuts to services and increased taxes and prices for the rest of us.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
People blaming inflation on Biden when you have executives on tape bragging about raising prices and reaping the rewards. This is a manufactured inflation due to the unrelenting and unregulated corporate greed. They weren’t talking about offsetting costs, or making it through a pandemic - just that raising prices is good, do it when you can, people get used to high prices.

Republicans would rather point at Biden and democrats and vote for racists who will reward that behavior with more tax cuts for the wealthy and cuts to services and increased taxes and prices for the rest of us.
You don’t need to catch the executives on tape. Just look at the oil companies making record profits. But they claim they’re just “covering their costs” - bull-💩.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Democrats are currently the party of letting shit happen and doing little about it, if anything at all. I fully expect any legislative attempts before the mid terms to center around a specific voting block instead of the American people as a whole. I wouldn't be surprised if they went full lazy and just focused entirely on abortion. The Democrat party has no leadership. None. And I challenge anybody to tell me what the party is currently about based on current performance.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Max Boot of the Washington Post sounds the alarm bell on the possible end of American Democracy.

https://wapo.st/3FCuyBj
(paywall removed)

If the GOP takes the House of Representatives in 2022:

Republican state legislatures in swing states that Biden (or another Democrat) narrowly wins can claim the results are fraudulent and send in competing slates of electors pledged to Trump. The House and Senate would then vote on which electors to accept. Even if the Senate remains Democratic, a GOP-controlled House could prevent Biden from getting the 270 electoral votes needed to win. It would then fall to the House to decide the presidency.

A majority of House Republicans already voted in 2020 to throw out electoral college votes for Biden. Even more are likely to do so in 2024 after four years of Trumpist purges. With the support of the Jan. 6 Republicans, the orange emperor can waltz back into the White House and finish destroying U.S. democracy.

Will the Republicans continue on the path of a fascist takeover? I mean, it has already begun. Think of how many Supreme Court justices were appointed by Presidents who didn’t win a majority of the American vote, confirmed by a Senate that didn’t reflect a majority of Americans. With the Supreme Court deciding to become a super-legislature, we are basically at the mercy of unelected representatives of a minority party, all of them in place until they die.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Max Boot of the Washington Post sounds the alarm bell on the possible end of American Democracy.

https://wapo.st/3FCuyBj
(paywall removed)

If the GOP takes the House of Representatives in 2022:

Will the Republicans continue on the path of a fascist takeover? I mean, it has already begun. Think of how many Supreme Court justices were appointed by Presidents who didn’t win a majority of the American vote, confirmed by a Senate that didn’t reflect a majority of Americans. With the Supreme Court deciding to become a super-legislature, we are basically at the mercy of unelected representatives of a minority party, all of them in place until they die.

The way I see it, their lies on economics are no longer being bought by their voters. Trump gave them an inroad to a new frontier, culture wars. That's why they are going nearly 100% on that and you hear little about anything else. It's the one strand they have left to hang by as a political party.

The only way I see out of this is an end to a 2 major party system. We need 3 or more major parties, but those who exist comfortably in the 2 party system would rather see it all burn down before allowing that to happen, and that goes for both Republicans and Democrats.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
The way I see it, their lies on economics are no longer being bought by their voters. Trump gave them an inroad to a new frontier, culture wars. That's why they are going nearly 100% on that and you hear little about anything else. It's the one strand they have left to hang by as a political party.

The only way I see out of this is an end to a 2 major party system. We need 3 or more major parties, but those who exist comfortably in the 2 party system would rather see it all burn down before allowing that to happen, and that goes for both Republicans and Democrats.
Sorry, you can’t “both sides” this one. One “side” is FOR everybody getting a vote. The other isn’t. Can’t get any more clear on which “side” opposes democracy.

Top Bottom
1 2