The Anniversary of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre

Huntn

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

52ED2206-9CAB-45A8-82BE-93EFA89B9025.jpeg

That would be today, part of our scrubbed shameful history that is being restored, the record of it.

You might actually be an uninformed person, who asks why can’t those African Americans get ahead? First off this is an inaccurate misnomer, but this history provides a partial explantation of the struggles of black communities in the US, post Civil War.

And this history provides a partial explantation and it was not the only example where “uppity“ successful blacks who had raised themselves from the chains of the Civil War were slapped down by racists multiple times. The KKK an organization was in the middle of this. For myself, I was oblivious to this history until I watched the The Watchmen TV series, and my impression seeing aircraft dropping bombs on Tulsa, this was over the top, until I looked it up. This morning on MSNBC, Andrea Mitchell described herself as well read, but was oblivious to this event.

Racial terror has long been the go-to response for aggrieved whites in America. The insurrectionists waving Confederate flags who attacked the Capitol on 6 January to overthrow the results of the 2020 national elections weren’t an anomaly. The intimidation, disempowerment and humiliation of the “other” to maintain entitled rights has been a recurring narrative since the arrival of European colonizers in America and the growth of the slave trade.

“The trigger for white rage, inevitably, is Black advancement,” Carol Anderson writes in her seminal 2016 book, White Rage. “It is not the mere presence of Black people that is the problem; rather, it is Blacknesswith ambition, with drive, with purpose, with aspirations, and with demands for full and equal citizenship.”

Late in 1865, just after the United States Civil War ended, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) was founded. The Klan, a secret organization that used terror tactics to target newly freed African Americans, attracted defeated Confederates who resented the changes of Reconstruction.

Alli

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
And this history provides a partial explantation and it was not the only example where “uppity“ successful blacks who had raised themselves from the chains of the Civil War were slapped down by racists multiple times. The KKK an organization was in the middle of this. For myself, I was oblivious to this history until I watched the The Watchmen TV series, and my impression seeing aircraft dropping bombs on Tulsa, this was over the top, until I looked it up. This morning on MSNBC, Andrea Mitchell described herself as well read, but was oblivious to this event.
That was very much my reaction with that opening scene from Watchmen. I was semi-familiar with the event, but the fact they used aerial bombing just did me in.

Top Bottom