The before and after thread

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
We all play with post processing so I thought I would start a thread where we can show some before and after shots.

This is a goth looking church in SF, looks 3D game like but that was sort of the goal, as much as making it appear at night as well. All done in LRC.

IMG_6111-2_web.jpg
IMG_6111-3_web.jpg

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
I'm a fairly minimal editor most of the time. WB/contrast/exposure fix. This image I pushed a little harder because I don't like the yellowness of spring greens and the whole image seemed kind of flat SOOC. I also wasn't a fan of the dead branches in the foreground, and I figure since they are dead, they'll eventually fall off anyway, so no reason not to clone them out.

i-qHzKvCn-X3.jpg

i-Bx2p4H6-X3.jpg

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm a fairly minimal editor most of the time. WB/contrast/exposure fix. This image I pushed a little harder because I don't like the yellowness of spring greens and the whole image seemed kind of flat SOOC. I also wasn't a fan of the dead branches in the foreground, and I figure since they are dead, they'll eventually fall off anyway, so no reason not to clone them out.

i-qHzKvCn-X3.jpg

i-Bx2p4H6-X3.jpg
Great job here, it really makes a difference that you were able to bring the bright sky down so the clouds stand out.

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
Great job here, it really makes a difference that you were able to bring the bright sky down so the clouds stand out.
I usually try to expose for the highlights when possible; modern digital cameras have so much information in the shadows that there's no reason not to underexpose a tiny bit if necessary. šŸ™‚

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I was going to do a joke post with a before and after of my ratty dog and a wolf, but Iā€˜m running out of options and I canā€™t afford to banned from here.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
I was going to do a joke post with a before and after of my ratty dog and a wolf, but Iā€˜m running out of options and I canā€™t afford to banned from here.
I thought of something similar...

oldBCguy

Site Champ
Reaction score
Early-morning views -- from the front lawn outside the Cameron Recreational Centre, across the street to Lougheed Mall, and surrounding area --- "what a differenc a (day) morning made" (thanks to Dinah Washington for that!!) -- 14 Jan/22 (the 'norm') and then 22 Jan/22 (the colourful one.

IMG_0252.jpg
IMG_0290.jpg

Last edited:

mollyc

seeker of light
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Fujifilm
This was my POTD today. I assume this is an Asian ladybug because he was quite orange IRL, but I wanted a red ladybug. After doing some contrast/exposure tweaks, I used an adjustment brush in LR to adjust the color of the ladybug more red; I also cropped it so he is on the ROT and then I added a grain layer in PS for a film look.

i-M3NTD64-X3.jpg

i-fvjD9Z8-X3.jpg

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
This was my POTD today. I assume this is an Asian ladybug because he was quite orange IRL, but I wanted a red ladybug. After doing some contrast/exposure tweaks, I used an adjustment brush in LR to adjust the color of the ladybug more red; I also cropped it so he is on the ROT and then I added a grain layer in PS for a film look.

i-M3NTD64-X3.jpg

i-fvjD9Z8-X3.jpg

Such an adorable little critter!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Christmas time in the city, I deliberately underexpose most of my night shots so this is what it looked like coming out of the camera in RAW. I added a few radial gradient masks and brought up the exposure a bit.

Before:
Greenshot 2022-06-13 09.40.01.png

After:
Greenshot 2022-06-13 09.40.20.png

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
Christmas time in the city, I deliberately underexpose most of my night shots so this is what it looked like coming out of the camera in RAW. I added a few radial gradient masks and brought up the exposure a bit.

Before:
View attachment 14900

After:
View attachment 14901

Eric, while the final result that you produced by editing is nice, I actually think that the original version has the promise and potential of a rather powerful and interesting impact if you were to lower the exposure even more, get rid of the buildings and lights coming from them, etc., so that in the end you'd have just the four small lighted trees and one large one glowing in the darkness, plus the lighting cast on the patio from the large tree, and nothing else to detract from them. Minimal, dramatic effect....Just my thoughts, of course.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Punching up a hazy photo of Mt Shasta, this is on the extreme side but that's what I was going for. A lot of manual work with masks to create the lighting effects, 99% of it was done in LRC, the only exception is the sky replacement done in PS.

Greenshot 2023-03-16 09.06.35.png

final.png

Top Bottom
1 2