The Biden Administration

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Biden's cognitive ability is what we are discussing, not Trump's personality.
True. But personality (in particular, emotional stability and personal restraint) are hugely important personality traits for a president. Also, Joe the President is undeniably not the smartest guy in the room – but, and this is critical, he never, ever, claims to be.

Why does this matter? Because: none of us are the smartest person in the room, and a leader who understands that it is necessary to listen to other people and not insist on being the sole lever-puller is by far preferable to the guy who is such an idiot that he has to tell people how smart he is, because true intelligence is about being aware of how little you know.

rdrr

Elite Member
Reaction score
Trump is not President. Biden is.

So whatever Trump did, might have done or will do is not relevant to Biden's mental capacity. Nor is statesmanship or demeanor or anything else you might want to use to compare his personality to Trump. Biden's cognitive ability is what we are discussing, not Trump's personality.

You're the one who brought up Trump comparatively, when asking about the Cognitive test.

The left clamored for Trump to take a cognitive test. Would you support the same for Biden?

My point is, I am not in favor of holding Biden to a standard that the Right wouldn't do for Trump. Besides cognitive tests are complete BS. I know this from a recent experience with a family member.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Why do Trump's moments of unadulterated stupidity get written off as "personality", but when Biden does it, its because his brain is fried?
Why does Trump get a pass for being stupid?

I ask again, in a comparison where someone did not know who either man is, would anyone seriously consider Biden worse off than Trump?

None of this holds any weight, Trump is so far down the scale in temperament, demeanor, intelligence, etc. that complaining about anyone else is really just not a serious position to take. I would expect, in any sane environment, that anyone who has concerns about Biden would have considered Trump a non-starter.

FFS, Herschel Walker is neck and neck with Warnock in Georgia. Cognitive abilities and intelligence don't seem to even be considerations for republicans in that state.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Why do Trump's moments of unadulterated stupidity get written off as "personality", but when Biden does it, its because his brain is fried?
Why does Trump get a pass for being stupid?

I ask again, in a comparison where someone did not know who either man is, would anyone seriously consider Biden worse off than Trump?

None of this holds any weight, Trump is so far down the scale in temperament, demeanor, intelligence, etc. that complaining about anyone else is really just not a serious position to take. I would expect, in any sane environment, that anyone who has concerns about Biden would have considered Trump a non-starter.

FFS, Herschel Walker is neck and neck with Warnock in Georgia. Cognitive abilities and intelligence don't seem to even be considerations for republicans in that state.

Great post. I would add to the part about Biden v Trump that the other reassuring thing to me about the Biden administration is that he has surrounded himself with competent advisors. In terms of lean within the Dems' spectrum, I could want fresher outlooks in some cases but am most appreciative that he picked people with expertise AND political savvy.

In short, Biden knows that the executive branch is not remotely manageable by just one person.

Trump on the other hand never even wanted a transition team in 2016 --even after he had won that election-- and he had only had Chris Christie set one up in the interim because it's required by law. As soon as he was sworn in though, most of Christie's designees were swept aside and it became clear that the transition would be managed by Kushner trying to implement what he understood day to day were Trump's intentions.

So Trump's incoming crew largely skipped transition meetings prepared by Obama's team. Some agencies didn't have acting heads at first, and anyway Trump dismissed the value of briefings about what the various departments and agencies are responsible for and how they interact.

Anyone paying attention at that time could understand three about the Trump admin:

1) it would be chaotic, a real fly-by-seat-of-pants that would make "outsider" JImmy Carter's team look like seasoned Beltway insiders, and​
2) all manner of mischief and private agendas could ensue... and​
3) the government functioned smoothly at all only because of the rafts of experienced civil service workers, non-political appointees, capable of interpreting how to implement the policy changes that were transmitted to them. And those are the employees that Trump swears he will make it easier to get rid of, "if and when" he returns to office in 2024. Why? Because of "process," following agency rules the roadmaps to implemention of related legislation.​

The bureaucrats are the bedrock of a government that works for the people. The ones in DoE who know where Form 35A.20c(7) has to be filed before some counterpart in the EPA can sign off on a drilling permit for company XYZ near some aquifer in Kansas.

Trump's declared archenemy was always "process." Any American heroes on his staff may indeed have been the ones who walked some paperwork off his desk before he could sign it in a photo-op, or the ones who dragged heels on an unconstitutional order until Trump forgot about it and moved on to something else. Sometimes those staffers had the guardrails back up in hours, and sometimes only after weeks, meanwhile taking flak when asked about some harebrained or illegal Trump order over and over again.

Sure there's always an excess of "process" in a huge undertaking like the USA's federal government. So what? It's what saves us from extreme policy swings and extreme reactions by dismayed voters. It's why we don't experience the equivalent of Italy having installed over 60 governments in 75 years.

I'm not saying Biden might not have impractical or politically infeasible ideas, or even some that on reflection would not be legal. It's that the Biden administration is led by a president who understands his oath to operate a branch of government within constitutional restraints, and Trump didn't care about anything except himself and whatever he wanted to do from moment to moment.

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Here’s Trump.. at 1:19:40, he begins talking about the Mexican president as “your president”.

The problem is he was talking to a room full of Americans.

So I guess those worried about Biden’s mental health won’t be voting for Trump either.

Last edited:

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
2019-03-03T143501Z_1_LYNXNPEF220HL_RTROPTP_4_USA-POLITICS-CONSERVATIVES-TRUMP-scaled.jpg

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Here’s Trump.. at 1:19:40, he begins talking about the Mexican president as “your president”.

The problem is he was talking to a room full of Americans.

So if guess those worries about Biden’s mental health won’t be voting for Trump either.

Noticed the audience got tired of finding someplace to hand out golf claps after awhile...

No kidding.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

most of the country will be onboard with this

How many people will this actually benefit? I can't believe there are too many in federal prison for simple possession.

In other news, it looks like charges against Hunter may be coming before midterms:

GermanSuplex

Elite Member
Site Donor
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
How many people will this actually benefit? I can't believe there are too many in federal prison for simple possession.

In other news, it looks like charges against Hunter may be coming before midterms:

Here's what I'm guessing will happen if Hunter is indicted:

The right will rejoice, the left won't care, and Biden will take the same stance he has about the DoJ's investigations in Trump - and that is no stance at all. He'll probably just say he loves his son but the justice department needs to be free to conduct its business according to the rule of law.

And regardless of what happens, it won't appease the right. If he serves no prison sentence, they'll whine. And if he does serve prison time and Trump gets indicted and convicted, they'll claim it was all an opening act, a sacrifice to soften the blow to take down Trump. A sacrifice, so to speak.

It will raise some legit questions about what Biden knew and what he didn't, but again - any of those concerns seem very, very hypocritical to be coming from the right, given the fact Trump hired his daughter and son-in-law, both of whom made money of their fathers' names (like Hunter) and had a lot of business dealings overseas in realms they're wholly unqualified for, which is pretty much any realm at all. Didn't seem to be a problem for Trump as he blurred every legal, ethical and moral line.

As with most things on the right, its not so much the message has no merit as it is the messenger has no merit. Like being lectured about your poor choice of dog food by Michael Vick, or being told to watch your anger by Mel Gibson.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Here's what I'm guessing will happen if Hunter is indicted:

If the Martha’s Vineyard stunt is any indication, if Hunter gets indicted rightwing media will claim that Democrats are completely losing their shit about it with footage of George Floyd protests as proof. Wait no, they’ll use footage of riots in South America from 20 years ago.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score

It's not just letting people out of jail. It's clearing their records as well. So if a prison record for marijuana possession is all you had keeping you from find employment or housing, this is very good news.

Citysnaps

Elite Member
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
It's not just letting people out of jail. It's clearing their records as well. So if a prison record for marijuana possession is all you had keeping you from find employment or housing, this is very good news.

It will also help people seeking/needing a government security clearance for their work, especially a higher level clearance, that would otherwise not be granted.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score

Yes, but it only covers federal possession charges, not state. Can't think there are too many of those.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
In a weird way it was the right that forced Biden’s hand on his latest moves even more than the left. He really wanted to moderate zero change us into oblivion but he came to the stark (way late to the game) realization that there is absolutely nothing he could do to win the right over as he watched his overall approval plummet. They’ll hate him regardless. So he had to look somewhere to gain approval, finally paying attention to the people in the front row waving their hands in his face the entire time instead of always looking to those in back hiding under rocks.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes, but it only covers federal possession charges, not state. Can't think there are too many of those.

Agreed and I also don't know how much this is going to please the left or piss off the right, or if it's a pretty nonpartisan issue. And will he expand or retract on this? I believe on the college debt relief a new qualifier is now it only applies to people who graduated on a Thursday.

Top Bottom
1 2