The Bill Burr SNL monologue controversy

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
For those who are out of the loop, apparently white women are outraged by this.

1. I love Bill Burr and that's his style of comedy rarely seen on network TV, especially now.

2. Bill has consistantly said about outrage on social media on him or others (paraphrase). "No there isn't. It's like 20 people just getting elevated by the establishment media and labeling them as the consensus." He doesn't worry about cancel culture because he doesn't pay attention to any of it.

3. Over the last week I've come across random videos of black women commenting on this and got a little educated by the videos and commenters. Comparing Bill's commentary on white women to black men's commentary on black women, Bill is very general and doesn't get into personal attacks. Attacks on black women tend to be a lot more specific and detailed. Point being Bill's attack on white women is just a fraction of what black women have hurled at them.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I saw the episode live, and I guess his type of humor is lost on me. I wasn’t offended by the white women thing, although I didn’t laugh at it... but he kind of went off the rails when he pretended to have never heard of pride month... that whole section came off pretty negative towards gay people i thought.

His sketches were kind of more of the same... too many jokes about him being an out-of-touch old man... but he’s only 52, so it falls flat for me. I get it, but it’s just not what makes me laugh....

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I saw the episode live, and I guess his type of humor is lost on me. I wasn’t offended by the white women thing, although I didn’t laugh at it... but he kind of went off the rails when he pretended to have never heard of pride month... that whole section came off pretty negative towards gay people i thought.

His sketches were kind of more of the same... too many jokes about him being an out-of-touch old man... but he’s only 52, so it falls flat for me. I get it, but it’s just not what makes me laugh....
On a rewatch you'll see that the theme of his monologue is about taking away the focus off the plight of black people and focusing on those who have suffered, but considerably less. On a personal note, I was raised by my mom and her female partner who remain together to this day. Moms are the best and I have 2! So I'm well aware of the plight of gay people. Also Bill gets credibility on black culture and issues because some of his most popular bits are about his black friends, dating black women, and his wife is black. So he's not just being the typical white social justice warrior.

Honestly, despite the mythology SNL just isn't all that good and that does all the way back to the legendary first cast. For every skit or character that gains popularity or praise there were 20 that completely bombed. Part of that is the nature of the show though with having to come up with new mostly unrelated material with a new host every week. A certain amount of failure is expected, possibly too much for the respected institution that it is. You have to respect it's longevity but part of that I think is due to time slot and competition on basic cable networks.

Top Bottom