The birds and the bees

Registered users do not see ads, it's free and easy. Register Here

Alli

Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Those hummingbirds will fight each other all day long. But the bees get into their feeders and nobody cares.
77B21C94-559B-47D6-95BB-B65273DD9816.jpeg

His little body is pretty far up in there and you can see the level drop as the bubbles rise.

Really kinda cute.

ericgtr12

Elite Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Those hummingbirds will fight each other all day long. But the bees get into their feeders and nobody cares. View attachment 591
His little body is pretty far up in there and you can see the level drop as the bubbles rise.

Really kinda cute.

We always have them on our feeders too, they never seem to be bothering anyone so we just leave them be to share it with the humming birds. So far, you've had bees and butterflies on your feeders, any hummingbirds? :LOL:

Alli

Staff member
Site Donor
Reaction score
We always have them on our feeders too, they never seem to be bothering anyone so we just leave them be to share it with the humming birds. So far, you've had bees and butterflies on your feeders, any hummingbirds? :LOL:

Plenty of hummingbirds. They showed up not long after I’d taken that photo and decided they didn’t want to fight with the bees over the feeders. Wimps.

Scepticalscribe

Staff member
Reaction score
Whenever I see this expression, ("the birds and the bees"), I think (as one is clearly invited to), not just of the wonderful euphemism in English, but also, of that hilarious scene, an agony of excruciating embarrassment (in an otherwise sombre, personally and politically perceptive, powerful, and indeed powerfully moving book, The Remains of The Day), where the exquisitely repressed butler, Stevens, has been asked - by his employer - to explain "the birds and the bees" to his (rather worldly wise, not least politically, and probably personally), godson, the journalist Reginald Cardinal.

Clix Pix

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Meanwhile in NYC (yeah the big woods in the middle with several lakes, streams and ponds) what's up lately is a female kingfisher struttin' her skills and fishing the Turtle Pond out while summery weather persists.

Kingfishers are very, very fast, and notoriously difficult to photograph. I am envious of this photographer who managed to get some terrific shots! I got a couple a few weeks ago of the resident female Belted Kingfisher here --- just "birdie-on-a-stick" (standing on a branch), no action shots, and even at that I was pretty far away, hand-holding the camera and 100-400mm lens, no tripod, and the shots weren't all that stellar..... I was just too excited that, hey, I'd finally gotten an opportunity to take pictures of our gal, who I'd watched zipping all around the lake this whole summer. In fact I really wasn't even 100% sure of my luck until I got home and looked in my Birds of Virginia book to verify that this sighting and identification wasn't a figment of my imagination.....

She wasn't, and here she is:
Belted Kingfisher on a Stick.jpeg

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Liz! I am happy that I got any images of her at all, but if I'd had my druthers I would have been significantly physically closer to her so that the lens would've picked up more and nicer feather detail in a good way, and also it would have been so helpful if I'd been standing in or near a location where I could find something to support the lens in the absence of my tripod.....

lizkat

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks, Liz! I am happy that I got any images of her at all, but if I'd had my druthers I would have been significantly physically closer to her so that the lens would've picked up more and nicer feather detail in a good way, and also it would have been so helpful if I'd been standing in or near a location where I could find something to support the lens in the absence of my tripod.....

Still you got close enough to catch that sassy "OK ya got me, be quick about it" look of hers there. Great photo, I'm thinking to park it in my desktop pics of assorted birds. I like to have desktops with a central image and space left around it so I can see temporary aliases to folders etc for parking files on the fly.

Top Bottom