The bleach drinkers of Georgia

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
I’m sure other states as well but the Georgia government felt it was happening enough to issue an official knock it off warning.

IMO if you drink bleach and it doesn’t kill you, you shouldn’t be allowed to vote. I endorse that kind of suppression.

Let him do his job.

1200px-Charles_Darwin_01.jpg

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think the voting process should start with a top 10 questionnaire

Did you do any of the following in the past year?

-Drink bleach because Covid-19
-Loot because BLM
-State the civil war was all about states rights and had absolutely nothing to do with slavery
-Enjoy the movie Crazy Rich Asians
Etc.

If you answer yes to any of those then you’re ballot gets tossed. You can lie and still vote, but at least you know you are widely considered an idiot for doing anything on the list.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can't imagine the pain from drinking that stuff?! I get heartburn if I eat spicy foods too late or if I drink heavily before going to bed. <cringe>. It still surprises me that people do this, or buy those religious silver / bleach pills/shots.

This virus definitely has me re-thinking things. People I know that I respect and consider smarter than I am have come to vastly different conclusions about this than I have. Scares me about what conclusions I come to.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Leave Trump out of it for a minute, if someone tells you to drink bleach and you drink bleach, that's on you man.

I tend to agree. Obviously, the president shouldn't be doing that, but if you look at Donald Trump and think, hey that guy seems science-y, and drink something widely-known to be poisonous, well...

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Leave Trump out of it for a minute, if someone tells you to drink bleach and you drink bleach, that's on you man.

Yeah Trump shouldn't have gone there but you're right.

When I read about stuff like this (leaving aside that Trump even said what he said), I'm torn between wondering if I'm reading something from The Onion, and getting completely freaked about the effect of either poor home schooling or poor public schooling in the USA.

Or maybe it's not about one's K-12 education, just about what eating junk food and lolling on the couch with a TV remote in hand as an adult does to one's brain.

Americans over age 18 supposedly spend 3 to 4.5 hours a day watching or streaming TV, another couple hours watching a DVR stash, and 3 hours more doing other things on their smartphones, presumably from a resting position.

Health guidelines suggest no more than 2 hours of TV watching per day.

It's one thing to entertain ourselves to death but it's another to "evolve" in a few generations to the point where we can imagine it's okay or healthful to ingest bleach. Even rats rummaging around in a landfill know better.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Yeah Trump shouldn't have gone there but you're right.

When I read about stuff like this (leaving aside that Trump even said what he said), I'm torn between wondering if I'm reading something from The Onion, and getting completely freaked about the effect of either poor home schooling or poor public schooling in the USA.

Or maybe it's not about one's K-12 education, just about what eating junk food and lolling on the couch with a TV remote in hand as an adult does to one's brain.

Americans over age 18 supposedly spend 3 to 4.5 hours a day watching or streaming TV, another couple hours watching a DVR stash, and 3 hours more doing other things on their smartphones, presumably from a resting position.

It's one thing to entertain ourselves to death but it's another to "evolve" in a few generations to the point where we can imagine it's okay or healthful to ingest bleach. Even rats rummaging around in a landfill know better.

Better said the Cult of Personslity, but then ask what kind if people are drawn to such a horrendous person? It has to be perceived self interest, even with knowledge of the river of lies, or Branch Divinian Syndrome, what can The Rump give me?

lizkat

Reaction score
Better said the Cult of Personslity, but then ask what kind if people are drawn to such a horrendous person? It has to be perceived self interest, even with knowledge of the river of lies, or Branch Divinian Syndrome, what can The Rump give me?

Yes, Trump acts irresponsibly almost every day w/ respect to the welfare of his constituency, if only by inattention, and he's trained his followers to expect entertainment as sustenance from him, I guess... but I can't really see laying the blame for people drinking bleach at his feet when I think about it.

Even in third world countries where illiteracy is sometimes far more prevalent than here in the USA, people know enough about bleach to know it kills and maims when used for other than laundry or sanitizing surfaces or in other than recommended dilutions with water to make it potable.

What the hell is wrong with us in the USA? We can't possibly be that ignorant. Yet it seems that some of us are. Is it just that we've somehow arrived at living in a world where reality and "reality TV" seem interchangeable, so whatever we do is of no account in the end, just entertainment we figure we can shut off when it's not amusing any more?

If that's it, well that's not all on Trump either, because the godblasted empty-channel-filling phenomenon of reality TV existed long before Donald Trump decided to parlay his own TV celebrity into a winning hand at politics.

What I really wonder about is how we ended up so spiritually and intellectually bereft of a sense of the meaning of life, that we can end up thinking reality TV shows are where to park our leisure interests. Maybe that's on the kind of economy we run, leaving so many people with no jobs to while away hours empty of not only a livelihood but of ability to strive for anything in the way of an avocation or extracurricular learning from which to bootstrap a better way of making a living. But I don't think it's just the impoverished who watch reality TV, do you?

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score

Wow, and that's a lot.
I remember one of those government/AHA/health-group printed posters at the pediatrician's office I used to bring my kids to saying "No more than 4 fast food meals per week.". I asked the doctor if 4 a week wasn't a bit too high, and he agreed. Gladly, on my next visit I saw that he penciled in 1 in place of the 4.

lizkat

Reaction score
We're 330,000,000. Even 1% of idiots would make for 3,300,000 of them, and they usually get all the press.

You're right. Having seen some decent TV at least once in awhile (albeit late to the plate and usually via streaming older shows), I'm not gonna take the next step there and try to make something out of the fact that it's more than 3.3M parked in front of a TV set in any given day. Just primetime viewer counts were over 100 million any night of the week even back in 2014. But it crossed my mind so I looked that up.

Your other point is also valid though. Just because we do watch TV doesn't mean we all end up featured in media reports for our stunning ignorance.

Maybe it always comes back to "something in the water"... or in very old paint chips off the windowsill maybe. Too much lead paint, or too frequent consumption of white albacore tuna... heavy metals affecting brain function could be part of the backdrop here. Or we could get into jokes about inbreeding. None of any of that really explains people ingesting bleach though, does it? Figuring it's one way to achieve celebrity? We're back to reality TV and not getting it that drinking real bleach is a real hazard to real human life.

We seem more messed up as a society since social media became a thing. Too bad, since the internet is a wonderful tool for learning. We're just some of us learning things that aren't true or aren't helpful. I guess it didn't take social media platforms for that to be the case, but social media usage makes it more apparent and in short order.

I won't say Donald Trump isn't aware of that. His narcissism doesn't distinguish between his being in the spotlight over spinoff that's positive or even stuff that's dangerous. He hears his name and all is well... even if whatever he heard puts him in a rage. It's all a springboard to his next effort to keep that spotlight on him.

yaxomoxay

Emperor
Reaction score
We seem more messed up as a society since social media became a thing.

You're 100% right. I don't think it's really hyperbole when I say that social media are ruining the world. That is, the damage far outweighs the advantage in virtually all fields. Even YouTube, it's a great tool IF used as a Library. Sadly, it's used to watch people eating Tide Pods, or licking public toilets. I tried TikTok once and my brain wanted to die.

I won't say Donald Trump isn't aware of that. His narcissism doesn't distinguish between his being in the spotlight over spinoff that's positive or even stuff that's dangerous.

On this specific topic, Trump is a symptom of a much bigger problem.

lizkat

Reaction score
Drinking bleach is something white people do who want to be whiter-than-white.

Maybe in the USA in certain unusual circumstances with a dangerous buffoon in the top slot of our federal government. Elsewhere it's often enough how farmers defeated by crop losses due to climate change or industrial poaching of ground water aquifers end up killing themselves. Some of them aren't even literate but they know bleach isn't exactly a medicine.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A tale from the 1980s.

One of my friends from school - her dad was a professor at the university - studied medicine at university.

At that time, second med (the third year of the medical course of study, after pre-med and first med) was the toughest year of the entire course, with a high failure rate, and, that summer, despite having studied exceptionally hard, she failed her second med exams, and planned to repeat them in the autumn.

Her regular partner in the lab, a boy with whom she had worked closely (study buddy stuff) during the year, was a boy whose father was a well known local politician with a national profile, and he, too, went down in his second med summer exams that year.

However, rather than repeating the second year med exams in the autumn, instead, that poor boy, impossibly stressed out, took bleach, - actually a form of weed-killing bleach, suffered terribly, and died.

My friend was deeply distressed and devastated, - his family was almost destroyed - and she elected to repeat the academic year, rather than face exams in the autumn, or face her class of medical students without her study buddy, with whom she had developed a close friendship.

Eventually, she passed all of her exams, qualified, and is now a well regarded doctor.

However, I have never forgotten that tragic summer, - not least the fact, etched forever in my mind and memory, that bleach and weed-killler can kill - and must admit that I find the idea that anyone, anywhere, would seriously suggest that someone ingest bleach as a possible cure for Covid-19 unconscionable, if not completely out of their tiny little mind, for this is not just an extraordinary example of surpassing ignorance, but is an outrageously irresponsible action, as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom
1 2