ICE Vehicles: General topics

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, the thing that I was sort of astounded by, was introducing 100K new EVs, and Teslas at that, into the rental channel. I bet this exposes a ton of people to an EV that wouldn't ordinarily consider one for ownership, while also getting a ton of additional ZEVs onto the road (which seems like a win-win). :)

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score

Is Tesla really worth 10x as much as it was just over a year ago? If you had Tesla stock a year ago, I’d sell it now. If you don’t own any… let‘s just say a 10x increase in a stock’s value in just over a year is the very definition of a bubble. Selling at 333x their annual earnings… um, do people assume every other car maker is going to go out of business and we will all only buy Teslas?

Ford has a $62B market cap, Toyota is $242B, Honda $53B, Daimler-Chrysler $103B. Are you saying Tesla is worth more than double those companies combined?

Other manufacturers have been slow to get into the EV game. However, as the other manufacturers dig in, Tesla will feel the competition for sure.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Ask me next year around this time when their market cap is $2T :D

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Should just add Tesla to the stocks I should have bought up back when they were on the brink of bankruptcy along with Apple back in 2003......

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
We are helping our Grandson buy a older vehicle, he reads a lot about cars and has focused on a 1997 Lexus lS400 95k miles, but the seller is asking $9700 for it which I think is high. His reasoning is it has a good track record, and I say it’s 20+ years old! He thinks that this era car has less stuff in it that can break versus newer highly computerized cars. All wheel drive is great but just something else to break. He is focusing on reliability.

I’ve been looking at the local Twin Cities car market and there are vehicles in the 2003-2010 age group at dealers that sell between $7-10k and some include drive train warranties (extra $$$, don’t know how much yet, because everything is closed today). Those cars are in the range of 110-160k miles. Anyway in this price range, any suggestions regarding this model car and others? Thanks! :D
No help from the forum. :p Well the deed is done: 96 Lexus 90k miles, $6.5k, fingers crossed it holds up. :unsure:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah, that's a pretty incredible bit of engineering with the 5.5L NA motor cranking out 670HP.

A buddy of mine said his dealer (very large Chevy dealer in the Southeast, purchased a few cars from them) will place you on a waiting list for a $5K non-refundable, and a signed agreement to pay "at least" $50K ADM.

At least ... :ROFLMAO:

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
Selling lightly used Model 3 LR for $80,000......

Need to afford this beast.....

2023 Corvette Z06. 5.5 liter DOHC flat plane crank V8 putting out 670 HP. ~200 HP over Stingray only buys you .3 seconds 0-60 time, but man that engine is going to be singing at 8600 RPM.

That’s nice of you to offer a 10000 lower price than on the other forum! [emoji106]

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
In EV news, my parents ordered the Model Y to replace my moms 2013 Equinox. ETD was August, but improved to March 2nd-30th this morning. We shall see how that sticks.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
In EV news, my parents ordered the Model Y to replace my moms 2013 Equinox. ETD was August, but improved to March 2nd-30th this morning. We shall see how that sticks.

Nice. Exposure to these cars - especially by way of a close friend/family who happens to be an enthusiast - is pretty compelling sales pitch :D

Wow, those ETDs are nuts. What model variant did they opt for?

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Nice. Exposure to these cars - especially by way of a close friend/family who happens to be an enthusiast - is pretty compelling sales pitch :D

Wow, those ETDs are nuts. What model variant did they opt for?

While I am the beta tester in the family, my moms interest in EV's is actually what got me to look at Tesla's which then led me to buy one. I am still curious how my Model 3 does in the winter with the cold temps and snow.

They went for the Long Range. They have no interest in swapping out the wheels every season if they went for the Performance, nor does my mom really care about the faster times. 0-60 in 4.8 seconds is still plenty improvement over the Equinox's 8.5 seconds in her view.

The $2,000 price increase almost killed the deal though( I have been somewhat pushing they order back in September.....). They were almost ready to just get another Equinox due to it now being $57K. But I did a price break down in car payments and operating cost, that for over the 5 year loan, the operating cost of the Equinox would be $9300 a year( payments, gas based on 15,000 miles a year at 25 MPG and $4/gallon, and oil changes) vs $10,700 with the Model Y( payments+$500 in electricity based on the same 15,000 miles a year at 15 cents per kwh and 4 miles per kwh). Hopefully I did my math right. Naturally once the car is paid off, the operating cost of the Tesla goes way down and further into its favor.

ericwn

Site Champ
Reaction score
I’m sorry if this is a silly question but since so much of the Tesla business seems online, where do you bring the cars for service? Do they have their own Tesla brand garages?

Is there much to service in the first place?

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I’m sorry if this is a silly question but since so much of the Tesla business seems online, where do you bring the cars for service? Do they have their own Tesla brand garages?

Is there much to service in the first place?

They do have service centers which they desperately need to build more of as they sell more and more vehicles.

I am lucky that I have 3 within 40 minute drive in my area. Goes up to 4 if I expand that to an hour drive. But others only have 1 within 3 hour drive. Due to the lack of service centers, the current ones are backed up. Now if you have a major issue, they will fit you in sooner. But due to all the ground employees being overwhelmed, this has led to a decrease in customer service.

Last edited:

Cmaier

Site Master
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
They do have service centers which they desperately need to build more of as they sell more and more vehicles.

I am lucky that I have 3 within 40 minute drive in my area. Goes up to 4 if I expand that to an hour drive. But others only have 1 within 3 hour drive. Due to the lack of service centers, the current ones are backed up. Now if you have a major issue, they will fit you in sooner. But due to all the ground employees being overwhelmed, this has led to a decrease in customer service.

I had a wheel crack, so one tire won't hold air. Happened a couple weeks ago. Earliest they can fit me in is second week of november. And despite having several tesla service centers nearby, it is very difficult to pick the one I want to talk to. I would much prefer if each service center had a phone number I could call directly, and not have to routed through HQ.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
I had a wheel crack, so one tire won't hold air. Happened a couple weeks ago. Earliest they can fit me in is second week of november. And despite having several tesla service centers nearby, it is very difficult to pick the one I want to talk to. I would much prefer if each service center had a phone number I could call directly, and not have to routed through HQ.

Oooof...... Yeah that goes to better customer service. It is sadly Tesla's biggest drawback. Great car, but hopefully you do not need to get service done that often.

On another note..... Why does it feel like my car is a red headed step child? It took forever to get to 32.21 which finally gave me Disney+ and car wash mode. Now 36.5 and 36.6 is rolling out which allows the app to control scheduled charging, set what amps the car charges at, etc and my car still says up to date! How long will it take for it to hit my car this time? haha And people with vision cars are getting it so it isn't a radar vs vision branch thing.

Top Bottom
1 2