ICE Vehicles: General topics

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Looks great.

Any ownership experiences to share? Issues? Magic? :D

I was chuckling the other day about how radically different this move is for me:

Orange >> Dark Silver
Black interior >> White interior
Convertible >> Hardtop
2-Door >> 4-Door
V8 >> Electric
2WD >> AWD
8" display >> 15" display

(You had some of the same)

I ordered, and it's sitting right here, a Spigen screen protector, it's this one:

Tempered glass, has a slick applicator frame - Spigen products are usually outstanding.

Haven’t driven it much outside driving it home-> to detailer within 3 hours of delivery-> picking it up after work was done. Now I’m parking it for a week in order to let the ceramic coating to finish curing( most of the week being taken up by me out working anyway).

Only issue was this upon delivery. Service center ordered the part on the spot and got notification it came in on Wednesday. Got mobile tech coming next Friday to do the repair and install the Homelink device in the car. Other than that, car is fine. Autopilot is still calibrating, but that is probably due to lack of well painted lines. So can’t use the radar-less autopilot yet.

CEE90BC3-384C-44C0-AAD2-7E68FC0EB12D.jpeg

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@quagmire I'm not 100% what I'm seeing / what is wrong[?] Is it the gap between the soft material and the bottom frame of the seat? What part was involved?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I need to find a good carwash around here; I'd love to be able to wash my car myself right here at home but we don't really have the facilities and setup for that. A lot of carwashes just run one's vehicle through an automated process which can also inadvertently cause damage to the rear windshield wiper, the antenna, something else. I also would prefer not to be sitting in the car going through the carwash, too. From what I hear, brushless is the way to go or a place where the employees pretty much hand-wash the vehicle, but so far I haven't found a good carwash for my baby, and she really is more than ready for a good soaping, rinsing and polishing!

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
@quagmire I'm not 100% what I'm seeing / what is wrong[?] Is it the gap between the soft material and the bottom frame of the seat? What part was involved?

Yeah a clip broke on that plastic trim that houses the seat controls so it is unsecured to the seat frame. Should be flush with the seat.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I need to find a good carwash around here; I'd love to be able to wash my car myself right here at home but we don't really have the facilities and setup for that. A lot of carwashes just run one's vehicle through an automated process which can also inadvertently cause damage to the rear windshield wiper, the antenna, something else. I also would prefer not to be sitting in the car going through the carwash, too. From what I hear, brushless is the way to go or a place where the employees pretty much hand-wash the vehicle, but so far I haven't found a good carwash for my baby, and she really is more than ready for a good soaping, rinsing and polishing!

One thing I've done a few times: go to one of the "U WASH IT" type places, you know, that you drive into a stall, pay with quarters, has a sprayer, brush - the brush can be a little harsh, so take a bucket a high quality cleaning mitt, and basically use the sprayer, but use your other supplies (so it's really just a I RINSE IT type thing :D) The high pressure is great for the initial rinse off, and most have a low pressure "spot free".

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Yeah a clip broke on that plastic trim that houses the seat controls so it is unsecured to the seat frame. Should be flush with the seat.

Gotcha. How do you like the seating? I guess it's a non-animal "leather", but I hear it's still super nice, and the support is pretty terrific in general.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Oh, nice. This was the situation where the dealer was saying if X was damaged / needed replacement during the warranty work, __you__ would have to pay (or something to that effect)?
The dealer told me that they pushed back on this and MOPAR relented. It was a seized bolt they discovered during the course of the repair. It’s ridiculous that the warranty company would claim that a seized bolt is not broken, because the engine was still running. And if you have to break this bolt during the course of repair, it is not covered. I’d argue a seized component is a variation of being broken.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, right, I knew it was something like that, and yeah, agree 101%, if something needs repairing under warranty, any incidental costs: tools, other items that break as a result, that's clearly, also under the warranty coverage.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
Gotcha. How do you like the seating? I guess it's a non-animal "leather", but I hear it's still super nice, and the support is pretty terrific in general.

I love how the seats feel. I do not know if it is psychological or not, but whenever I test drove a car with the white interior the materials felt softer than the black vegan leather. But either way I find them super comfortable to sit in.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
One thing I've done a few times: go to one of the "U WASH IT" type places, you know, that you drive into a stall, pay with quarters, has a sprayer, brush - the brush can be a little harsh, so take a bucket a high quality cleaning mitt, and basically use the sprayer, but use your other supplies (so it's really just a I RINSE IT type thing :D) The high pressure is great for the initial rinse off, and most have a low pressure "spot free".

Oh, now THAT's a great idea!!!! Thank you! I should've thought of that -- perfect answer to my dilemma! I'll look online and see where the most convenient one is around here and one day this coming week take the car in for a bath.....

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I love how the seats feel. I do not know if it is psychological or not, but whenever I test drove a car with the white interior the materials felt softer than the black vegan leather. But either way I find them super comfortable to sit in.

Yeah, you know at one point months ago, when you were selecting your interior (and there was no price difference), it was Black or [Tesla recommends] Premium White, and now, of course white is also an upcharge, so I kind of think it is actually the "better" in terms of materials.

Like I said in another rambling post, for red or blue, I'd go with black (even though I don't like trees in my car ...), but for white/black/gray, the white is superb.

Oh, now THAT's a great idea!!!! Thank you! I should've thought of that -- perfect answer to my dilemma! I'll look online and see where the most convenient one is around here and one day this coming week take the car in for a bath.....

Yeah, it's a handy place, with a sprayer, water, a drain, the issue is the brush there is craptacular, and the soap, who knows what it is, so just don't use those tools/products, BYO some good car wash, washing gear.

When I've done this, I try to pick a time/day when it's going to be slow since I kind of take up a stall for a while. And I'd do a low time, rinse with the high pressure, fill a bucket, let the time run out, wash, then add money do a high pressure rinse, then a low pressure spot free.

bunnspecial

Site Champ
Reaction score
I LOVE the wash bays.

Back when I lived in a condo, I had no way to actually hand wash my cars. There was a place not even a quarter mile away, and $5 later I'd have the car sparkling clean. With my own bucket and soap, I could honestly get the car cleaner than I could at home between their high pressure washers and what I'm guessing was softened water in the "spot free rinse' setting.

Also, I'd use their brush/soap to clean my tires and wheels.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Main Camera
Sony
Yeah, you know at one point months ago, when you were selecting your interior (and there was no price difference), it was Black or [Tesla recommends] Premium White, and now, of course white is also an upcharge, so I kind of think it is actually the "better" in terms of materials.

Like I said in another rambling post, for red or blue, I'd go with black (even though I don't like trees in my car ...), but for white/black/gray, the white is superb.

Yeah, it's a handy place, with a sprayer, water, a drain, the issue is the brush there is craptacular, and the soap, who knows what it is, so just don't use those tools/products, BYO some good car wash, washing gear.

When I've done this, I try to pick a time/day when it's going to be slow since I kind of take up a stall for a while. And I'd do a low time, rinse with the high pressure, fill a bucket, let the time run out, wash, then add money do a high pressure rinse, then a low pressure spot free.

Alas, there don't seem to be ANY of those self-service wash-your-own-car places around here!!! DANG!!! I got all excited at the idea and the possibilities.....only to be seriously disappointed when I ran a Google search. I'm going to keep looking, though, using different search terms, see if that unearths something.

quagmire

Site Champ
Reaction score
So I am going to figure @DT is too busy enjoying his new car to let us know how fast it puts a smile on his face..... :D

Or is too busy calling every number known to Tesla to curse them out for their shoddy QC and having to reject it. ;)

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Well, yesterday wasn't the best weather for a car delivery, in fact, it was painfully craptacular - but a pretty amazing day anyway - and special thanks to my SA for standing the rain while we sat in the car 😄

Holy hell, I'm a bit floored, this is way beyond the experience I expected.

I realize I'm just a day into ownership, but it's just spectacular, even in the rain/wet, it's so assertively quick, it's like a slot car, press throttle and you're exactly where you want to be. I instantly acclimated to the center display being the single car information mechanism (an information dense tablet type display made instance sense in my dev/tech head).

I don't think I realized how much information is gathered through Tesla Vision and is communicated in real time: other vehicles, signs, cones, etc., it's amazing.

The audio is as good as I've heard in an OEM setup as well.

Oh yeah and ours seems to be completely issue free in terms of F&F/build. The gaps are consistent, the paint is beautiful (the paint is actually as good of factory paint work as I've seen), front and rear lights are mounted evenly (that seemed to be a thing with some recent deliveries), windows are even, interior is perfectly together.

Oh yeah, and that interior: the white is stunning, especially with the medium-dark gray (uhh, "silver") exterior, super happy about the color choice. The little hint of red with the calipers is perfect, I may add some red lugs and center caps and run my wheels without the lug cover.

Plugged in the Grizzl-E with the J1772_to_Tesla adapter, fired right up, topped it off after arriving home.

Umm, I'll ramble on more later. :D

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
My 21-year-old car just became an organ donor! (better it than me, at least for now!!) Some guy a couple roads over has a car like mine with more life left in it, somewhat less rust and short a few vital parts, so those were to be scooped out from my rustbucket along with some prospective spare parts for the future, before the poor ol' dear gets hauled to the crusher for its scrap value. Glad to see the back of it even if it was a great car... and so will be the guy who mows the lawn and the one who has had to plow snow around it! So now to rake over and eventually reseed a piece of land that just got freed up. Any stray cat that used to hide under there hoping to surprise a fledged-out bird will have to find a new vantage point for scouting up a free lunch.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I have a feeling that was the same fate as my old car. It failed the MOT very badly so I sold it for scrap. That was a sad walk home!

That can be a rude awakening, yes. Mine more or less politely blew a head gasket in my own driveway on one very cold morning, so that might have been a worse ending for sure. I was grateful, actually. Since the iron worms were finally advancing on that car, I wasn't going to put any money into the thing, so just put the word out around the neighborhood and figured someone would eventually agree to take it to the crusher after extracting whatever parts were wanted. Happy ending. I really did like that car, a 5-speed sedan, the Toyota-Chevy hybrid they made just for a little while out in the Fremont CA plant back around turn of century.

tranceking26

Power User
Reaction score
That can be a rude awakening, yes. Mine more or less politely blew a head gasket in my own driveway on one very cold morning, so that might have been a worse ending for sure.
It was, I haven't owned a car since, so it's been over ten years now. Wow that's lucky, could have ended up much worse!

Top Bottom
1 2