The Cheese Thread.

fischersd

Meh
Reaction score
ya If I did not have to eat more to stay alive it would be better. food as lost its luster. I crave flavor but thats the thing that can really hurt my esophagus. I have been eating meat and cheese for lunches for 25 years it has taken its tole.
Hmm (yes, off topic) - is the esophagus sensitivity due to acid reflux / GERD? Doctors for years were prescribing PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitors) as the belief was it was too much acid (when it fact it was because your stomach acidity was too low to activate the esophageal sphincter to close). Best treatment/cure for that is to have some apple cider vinegar in water before you eat. (got in a habit of adding 1T Bragg's ACV with 1tsp each of lemon and lime juice to a tumbler before each meal when I was doing Keto - cured my reflux issues).

On topic - I think my favourite blue is St Agur. Also a fan of blue haze - a smoked blue cheese. Need to find a decent cheese monger out here in the BC lower mainland so I can get them again. :)

For those doing low carb (at least in Canada) - the Cracker Barrel cheeses from Kraft are virtually 0 carb / lactose free. The varieties I keep on hand in the crisper are old cheddar, Monterey Jack and Mozzarella. I usually use all three when I'm making a nice cheese sauce for veggies. :)

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hmm (yes, off topic) - is the esophagus sensitivity due to acid reflux / GERD? Doctors for years were prescribing PPI (Proton Pump Inhibitors) as the belief was it was too much acid (when it fact it was because your stomach acidity was too low to activate the esophageal sphincter to close). Best treatment/cure for that is to have some apple cider vinegar in water before you eat. (got in a habit of adding 1T Bragg's ACV with 1tsp each of lemon and lime juice to a tumbler before each meal when I was doing Keto - cured my reflux issues).
no I think most of it was because my esophagus is so sensitive it just feel like heartburn. I mean I have had Gerd years ago but I think most of it was just the sensitivity that carbs caused. Now I don't eat carbs and its mostly gone but I still get what feels like heartburn depending on how Feel. after looking down my gullet and finding my esophagus is in really good shape after what I thought was 58 years of heartburn I think I am on the right track. acidic things hurt my esophagus way too much and carbs. spicy stuff not as much. but eliminating carbs was the most important thing.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I treated myself to several cheeses on my return from the Balkans:

They included: Gorgonzola (Cremosa), from Italy, Roquefort (from France), and Birableu (from Italy), three blue cheeses.

Washed rind style cheeses included Torta del Casar (a stunning Spanish cheese), Taleggio (nice and ripe and creamy, from Italy), Carre de Brebis from Corsica, and Camembert from Normandy, France.

Hard cheeses included a Tomme style cheese, and sheep's Gouda.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
This morning, I treated myself to some cheese while paying what was supposed to be a brief and fleeting visit to the cheesemonger's: As usual, it was nothing of the sort.

Parmigiano Reggiano and Pecorino Romano (Carbonara beckons someday soon), both from Italy:

Gouda (made from the milk of sheep, rather than goats' milk) - Dutch, naturally.

Raclette from France.

Taleggio (from Italy), these days, it seems to be seasonally excellent.

Roquefort (from France) a perennial classic; a blue cheese.

Birbablu (from Piedmont, in Italy) a stunning Italian blue cheese; the cheese is washed - rather, it is actually soaked - in beer for ten days, then each wheel of cheese is covered by malted wheat and allowed to mature.

Camembert Rustique (a timeless classic, from Normandy, in France; today, this cheese positively oozed.)

Torta del Casar (an amazing cheese from Spain).

St Brigid, a mild (but deliciously buttery) washed rind (using natural starters) cheese from Ireland.

Other purchases included both Fig Paste and Quince Paste (membrillo).

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Yesterday, I paid a visit to the cheesemonger's:

My cheese purchases included:

Gorgonzola Cremosa, and Birbablu - two blue cheeses from Italy.

From Switzerland, my haul included two hard Alpine cheeses: Aged Appenzeller and another Alpine cheese, Challerhocker.

And, from France, three soft cheeses: Reblochon (a soft, washed rind cheese from the French Alps), the classic Camembert, (from Normandy), and the divine, delicious, seductive, Époisses, (from Burgundy). All gloriously ripe and runny.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Today's shopping included the purchase of some cheese:

From Italy, two blue cheeses: Gorgonzola Cremosa, and Birbablu (a washed rind cheese, one washed with beer).

The Netherlands is home to the sole hard cheese I purchased, namely, Noorlander Sheep Milk Gouda (I still have some aged Appenzeller).

From France, two soft cheeses: The classic Époisses, (positively oozing, with dreams of world domination), and the seasonal classic Vacherin Mont d'Or.

Taleggio from Italy, and a washed rind cheese from Ireland with the wonderful name of Drunken Saint, completed the haul.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A trip to the cheesemonger means that cheese supplies have been replenished:

Purchases included: Three blues: Gorgonzola Cremosa, Birbablu, (both from Italy) and Bleu des Causses, (from France) which is sometimes thought to be a cow's milk version of Roquefort.

Soft cheese: Époisses (a classic), Brillat-Savarin (both from France), and Vacherin Mont d'Or, a seasonal specialty from France.

Hard cheese: Aged Appenzeller (from Switzerland) and Pecorino Romano (from Italy) completed my purchases.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
On Christmas Eve, the cheesemonger (who is a true friend) dropped out a Christmas box which contained (among other things, such as olive oil, truffle oil, sherry vinegar, a bottle of wine), some cheese:

The cheeses included: Seasonal Stilton, Gorgonzola Cremosa, and Birbablu (three blues):

Brillat Savarin, Époisses, Durrus, Vacherin Mont d'Or, St Nectaire (semi-soft cheeses, some of them washed rind delights).

Aged Comte, Goat's Gouda, and Recorino Romano (hard cheeses).

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
a new cheese or maybe a type of cheese. bread cheese what a name.its like string cheese in the dryness. you cook it and it will soften up but not melt it may sag a bit is all. my body does not like meted cheese so this gives me a hot cheese without that issue. I dont know if I want to mix it with anything myself I like it as is.
IMG_1922.jpeg

Top Bottom
1 2