The Cheese Thread.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Time to start a cheese thread, although, I suspect that I may be one of the main contributors:

Today, I paid a flying visit to the city, and - among other things - thought to visit the cheesemonger's.

My purchases included: Roquefort, Bleu d'Auvergne, mature Gruyère, aged, mature Comte, Torta del Casar, Delice de Bourgogne, St. Nectaire, and Camembert Rustique.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought there was a cheese thread or am I going crazy? I eat mroe cheese then most people as it is my main source of fat and calories but anymore its just another food I have to eat and has lost some of its thrill. when you eat almost 1/2 pound a day.I have to be careful too strong and it hurts my esophagus. I eat a lot of different ones but I don't get really excited about it anymore.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I thought there was a cheese thread or am I going crazy? I eat mroe cheese then most people as it is my main source of fat and calories but anymore its just another food I have to eat and has lost some of its thrill. when you eat almost 1/2 pound a day.I have to be careful too strong and it hurts my esophagus. I eat a lot of different ones but I don't get really excited about it anymore.

There is a cheese thread on MR.

There are food threads here, (on which I have posted detailed descriptions of cheese purchases), but I thought that we might care to indulge ourselves with a thread dedicated to, - or devoted to - a discussion of everything to do with cheese.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
There is a cheese thread on MR.

There are food threads here, (on which I have posted detailed descriptions of cheese purchases), but I thought that we might care to indulge ourselves with a thread dedicated to, - or devoted to - a discussion of everything to do with cheese.
ya I was like Huh? ok time for some blasphemy I use this to make my wife some quick cheezy veggies it adds a lot of flavor but you don't need as much cheese as you would normally. I like to jsut eat some with a spoon as with me I need a lot of flavor as my diet is pretty bland. but it hurts my esophagus so I cant eat it often. https://www.amazon.com/Anthonys-Pre...pd_rd_i=B076TPLFFD&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_i

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
ya I was like Huh? ok time for some blasphemy I use this to make my wife some quick cheezy veggies it adds a lot of flavor but you don't need as much cheese as you would normally. I like to jsut eat some with a spoon as with me I need a lot of flavor as my diet is pretty bland. but it hurts my esophagus so I cant eat it often. https://www.amazon.com/Anthonys-Pre...pd_rd_i=B076TPLFFD&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_i

What cheese do you use?

Ah, okay.

Personally, for such a dish, I'd think to use some grated (grated by myself) Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano), or grated Gruyère, or something of the sort.

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
my wife has issues with two much fat so enough cheese to flavor veggies can be too fatty. Plus you have the issues of melting. this works well logs of flavor not as much fat because you don't need a lot. I eat most of my cheese at work we dont eat a lot at home so I dont have too much on hand. with how I have to eat my cooking has become super simple and basic. Plus my wife never tells me what she wants to eat so her food has become simple too.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
my wife has issues with two much fat so enough cheese to flavor veggies can be too fatty. Plus you have the issues of melting. this works well logs of flavor not as much fat because you don't need a lot. I eat most of my cheese at work we dont eat a lot at home so I dont have too much on hand. with how I have to eat my cooking has become super simple and basic. Plus my wife never tells me what she wants to eat so her food has become simple too.

Fair enough.

In the days (pre-Covid) when I often worked abroad for months on end - in countries or continents (Africa, central Asia) that lacked a dairy industry - I used to crave cheese; first stop, when I was en route home on leave, even before I ever arrived home, was the cheesemonger's - a taxi waiting outside, metre running, suitcases in boot (trunk?), - while I stocked up....

fooferdoggie

Elite Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
Fair enough.

In the days (pre-Covid) when I often worked abroad for months on end - in countries or continents (Africa, central Asia) that lacked a dairy industry - I used to crave cheese; first stop, when I was en route home on leave, even before I ever arrived home, was the cheesemonger's - a taxi waiting outside, metre running, suitcases in boot (trunk?), - while I stocked up....
ya If I did not have to eat more to stay alive it would be better. food as lost its luster. I crave flavor but thats the thing that can really hurt my esophagus. I have been eating meat and cheese for lunches for 25 years it has taken its tole.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Paid a visit to the cheesemonger's today, as part of my trip to the farmers' market.

And, while there, I treated myself to Gorgonzola Dolcelatte, Bleu d'Auvergne, Valdeon Blue, Delice de Bourgogne, Camembert Rustique, La Serena, Torta del Casar, Garrotxa, Cashel Blue Mature, Gruyere Reserve, and aged Goat's cheese (Gouda).

Last edited:

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
The other day picked up some of the wonderful Cypress Grove Truffle Tremor. Last couple of times I'd been in that particular store they were out of it so was happy to be able to find it again! Alas, they didn't have my other favorite from Cypress Grove, Humboldt Fog, but it's pretty popular so I'm sure they'll have some in stock again soon.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Treated myself to some cheese today: Gorgonzola Dolcelatte; Torta de Casar; Queso de Ulloa; Serena; aged Comte. And membrillo (quince) paste.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Paid a flying visit to the cheesemonger's earlier today and treated myself to a number of cheeses: They included Gorgonzola Cremosa, mature Cashel Blue, Camembert, Morbier, Brillat Savarin, Livarot, mature Comte, mature Gruyere, and Pecorino Romano.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Treated myself to some cheese in the farmers' market today: Gorgonzola Dolcelatte, Roquefort, classic cow's milk Maasdamer, goat's Maasdamer, smoked goat Gouda, and Douruval.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Christmas cheeses - purchased yesterday - include: Gorgonzola Cremosa, Stilton, Camembert Rustique, Taleggio, very aged Comte, Vacherin Mont d'Or, and goat's Gouda.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
Christmas cheeses - purchased yesterday - include: Gorgonzola Cremosa, Stilton, Camembert Rustique, Taleggio, very aged Comte, Vacherin Mont d'Or, and goat's Gouda.

That reminds me we didn't order Stilton this year. We always ordered it when the whole family is here for Christmas but forgot this year. :(

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
That reminds me we didn't order Stilton this year. We always ordered it when the whole family is here for Christmas but forgot this year. :(

Stilton and Christmas are just one of those perfect pairings; "it just works", to cite a slogan about Something Else Entirely.

Likewise, Vacherin Mont d'Or is also a seasonal cheese, which reaches a peak of perfection as the solstice approaches.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Paid a visit to the cheesemonger's today and came away with a veritable haul of splendid cheeses:

These included: Chaource, Sainte Maure De Touraine, Flacon de Savoie, Gorgonzola Cremosa, Bleu d'Auvergne, Boyne Valley Blue, Ossau Iratey, very aged mature Comte, Morbier, Pont L'Eveque, and Taleggio.

JamesMike

Power User
Reaction score
Paid a visit to the cheesemonger's today and came away with a veritable haul of splendid cheeses:

These included: Chaource, Sainte Maure De Touraine, Flacon de Savoie, Gorgonzola Cremosa, Bleu d'Auvergne, Boyne Valley Blue, Ossau Iratey, very aged mature Comte, Morbier, Pont L'Eveque, and Taleggio.

Your lucky I’m in quarantine, I might have looted your haul!

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
On a dash to the city today, I managed to take in a visit to the cheesemonger's:

My haul of cheeses included: Bleu d'Auvergne, Gorgonzola Cremosa, Munster with cumin, Vacherin Mont d'Or, Camembert Rustique, Cremeaux de Bourgogne Affine, Ossau Iratey, and young Comte.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
A flying visit to the farmers' market last Saturday also took in the French bakery, and the cheesemonger's: Cheese purchases included Abondance cheese, (a rare enough find, and one which I love), Roquefort, Bleu des Causses, Munster au cumin, (Munster with caraway seeds), and seductively oozing Camembert Rustique.

Top Bottom
1 2