The Democrat agenda 2022 and going forward

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It is. But like i said, no one says anything about it unless it is me doing it.
To be fair I do call people out my side and usually take heat for it. We don't have to agree with a specific person or position just because our respective party does, it takes away our individuality. No harm in calling someone out from your own party.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
How many seats in congress do you think COVID deaths caused them? I mean direct votes - voters who died who could or would have pushed republicans who lost by narrow margins over the edge? Impossible to know, but I would wager there's going to be at least one republican out of a job that may have held on had they not vilified masks, social distancing, Fauci, vaccines, etc.

That is really sad to think about. One can run into posts now and then in social media where people related regret over having thrown a party that resulted in covid deaths and etc. Or rage because their governor would NOT mandate closing restaurants etc. and someone they loved was stupid enough to figure ok then no problem carrying on as usual. And don't get me started about some Fox hosts.

I didn't have a problem with voters arguing over the degree to which mandated behaviors leaning towards social isolation should have been applied, but during the early pandemic, the straight-up partisan take that ran to "F your masks" just boggled my mind for the pure selfishness. There was no vaccine then. It was known that covid-19 could be especially lethal to elderly people and yet people were running "whatabouts" like crazy trying to ditch either the set-aside hour or the requirement to mask up. Heh, well it sort of started helping me sort out who is conservative and who is just a libertarian.

Going forward to the 2024 elections I hope people can focus on policies that aren't tied too strongly to covid policy though. It was a time necessarily mired in aberrations and uncertainties. I still think there were so many instances of people trying to do the best they could with the information and other resources they could muster up, within their own context and that of the larger community.

Obviously a lot of leeway there, but not extending to the deliberate and vicious spreading of misinformation. That sort of stuff became obvious in short order, and to me remains unforgiveable. Trump landed big time on that list of covid misinformation spreaders. and that is just one more reason he should not even be considered as a 2024 presidential candidate.

lizkat

Reaction score
It is. But like i said, no one says anything about it unless it is me doing it.

Finally you win the prize we been saving up for today.

yep that tiny little violin.jpg

lizkat

Reaction score
Since you live in NY, what were your thoughts on Cuomo sending COVID + patients back to nursing homes?

Not a great idea. Easy to say that though. What was the alternative? For my money they should have explored opening vacant big box stores (geez we have one 10 miles from here been empty since 1991) and making extensions of hospitals out of them for that cohort of the hospitalized covid+ patients well enough to be transferred out. Maybe could have set the National Guard to readying the facilities and serving as provisional caregivers.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Actually, it was calling out all of you who call me out for it yet when someone on "your side" does it, crickets.

If you think it is wrong, then you should think it is wrong for anyone to do it. Says more about you than me.
Nope, says all we need about you. Liz answered intelligently and if you weren't looking for a chance to pounce you would realize it wasn't whataboutism. Given your posting history, we need not worry about you being cognizant of that.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Whataboutism is probably half-reflex for a lot of us by now. It's sometimes offered as anecdote but can also be a generalization. The question becomes whether it's always meant as distraction.
Given posting history and failures to back up claims, whataboutism is a concerted effort of *ahem* some to deflect and/or distract.

lizkat

Reaction score
OK quit picking on @Herdfan or we won't even have a quorum in the baseball 2023 thread(s).

I'm outta here. Gonna go see how much pickin' on members of the British royal family happens in the rest of Season 5 of The Crown, which so far I can't stop watching but basically disapprove of since the thing interpolates so much conjecture between historically accurate portrayals. It starts to feel like somebody dropped clips from an American daytime reality TV show into a series of 19th century daguerreotypes.​

Surely some news outlet will notify my iPhone if Trump actually informs us later on that there will be no 2024 presidential election because his lawyers have finally determined that he was in fact made President for Life in 2020 despite rumors to contrary.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
OK quit picking on @Herdfan or we won't even have a quorum in the baseball 2023 thread(s).
Don't look at me. I stayed out of it. 😇

I'm outta here. Gonna go see how much pickin' on members of the British royal family happens in the rest of Season 5 of The Crown, which so far I can't stop watching but basically disapprove of since the thing interpolates so much conjecture between historically accurate portrayals. It starts to feel like somebody dropped clips from an American daytime reality TV show into a series of 19th century daguerreotypes.​
Enjoy. I've seen the four previous seasons so will check out S5 once I have Netflix back. In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through your comments.
Surely some news outlet will notify my iPhone if Trump actually informs us later on that there will be no 2024 presidential election because his lawyers have finally determined that he was in fact made President for Life in 2020 despite rumors to contrary.
Yikes Woman. Don't even put that out there! :eek:

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Not surprised by Pelosi stepping down. I think it was in the cards before the GOP regaining the majority these midterms. The attack on her husband (predicated on GOP rhetoric and actions that too many would like to ignore) and keeping her promise when she took reins last time made this decision easy.

Hoyer stepping away and backing Jeffries is a good thing. Getting younger, engaged Dem leaders in place to challenge the coming GOP nonsense is heartening. I just hope the so-called Progressives will act with intelligence and pragmatism the next year and especially heading into 2024.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
Not surprised by Pelosi stepping down. I think it was in the cards before the GOP regaining the majority these midterms. The attack on her husband (predicated on GOP rhetoric and actions that too many would like to ignore) and keeping her promise when she took reins last time made this decision easy.
Oh I'm not surprised. I've been expecting it. Just still sad. But I don't blame her. She's served a long time plus with what happened to her husband (meant for herself), it's time to step away and live life. She's earned it.

barackobama_1668717931.jpg

Last edited:

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Have they shown any inclination to do so in the past?
You should worry about the flame throwing, hate spewing so-called Freedom Caucus that McCarthy has to contend with. The last time the GOP had all three branches in their claws they simply pushed through tax cuts for their big biz donors. With the Senate as a firewall, McCarthy will have absolutely no room for error. Let's see if he avoids being another Paul Ryan.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
Some good points made on the recent progressive podcast Breaking Points episode.

People on the left are told they need to vote for Democrats because “if the Republicans take over they’ll unilaterally do all these bad things!” When Democrats are in power we are told “Well, we can’t really do much.”

When Republicans are yelling “Build the wall!” none of the Democrats aside from possibly Sanders are saying “Here’s what the problem actually is.” No Democrats are offering a cause or solution to the issues the right feels a wall will solve.

Hrafn

Snowflake from Hell
Reaction score
Some good points made on the recent progressive podcast Breaking Points episode.

People on the left are told they need to vote for Democrats because “if the Republicans take over they’ll unilaterally do all these bad things!” When Democrats are in power we are told “Well, we can’t really do much.”

When Republicans are yelling “Build the wall!” none of the Democrats aside from possibly Sanders are saying “Here’s what the problem actually is.” No Democrats are offering a cause or solution to the issues the right feels a wall will solve.
So. What’s your solution?

Top Bottom
1 2