The Election Day Thread

U

User.45

Um, wha? In retrospect though, if he is NOT the president of your country, "Why the F' not?"

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1323685387819245568/

Do they NOT realize what kind of ****hole country the man thinks they have?

Then again, if there is no extradition, ...it is a strong option.
I have a nigerian nurse on my facebook who's super anti-Trump and he's in a fight 24/7 with other nigerians. The shit some of those people post are mind boggling (christianity is regularly dragged into these). I decided to unfollow because it looked like a bottomless pit. The only reason I have FB still, is because my friends overseas aren't willing to migrate to another platform..:(

U

User.45

Also, Republicans may have been more likely to take Trump up on his disparagement of voting by mail, maybe especially because not all of DeJoy's tinkering with mail processing speed landed in urban areas.

Some of that USPS slowdown affected rural roadside mailbox owners whose prescriptions were delayed. DeJoy had no lock on managing to affect only rural Democrats with those slowdowns, which took place in the more centralized major mail sorting centers. Like around here that would be up in Syracuse or in Albany. We locally saw our mail on-time-delivery rate sink from 98% to 88% and it's not like the local contract carrier sorted his route out by what kinda lawn signs we have out there. We have all had somewhat slower mail delivery.​

Still, more motivated Democrats likely voted early or by mail as early as possible... so the turnout on Election Day now may be disproportionately high for conservative voters, even in states that tend always to vote blue in Presidential elections.
When DeJoy got ahold of USPS our mail started getting delayed by 3-5 days. It had caught on recently, so some days we get the mail twice. You can easily tell it's an urban area in a Blue state...

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
A few thoughts:
  • Tonight I'm doing what I've been doing for the last two days: taking a double-dose of anti-depressants in the morning and a dose of Benadryl at night so my mind doesn't race when I'm trying to fall asleep.
  • I think we can forget about a blue tsunami. It's going to be a lot closer than that.
  • With that in mind, I'm not going to torture myself or set my nerves on edge by watching wall-to-wall coverage. I'll check in occasionally to see what Steve Kornacki is saying, but I really don't expect to learn anything tonight except maybe whether the Dems take the Senate.
  • On the other hand, videos of Trumpian poll watchers getting thrown out of voting locations...that's something you can watch all day.
  • I see Amy Coney Barrett formally started her new job today. Just in time. Oh for joy.
  • Trump wants to claim victory tonight. I don't care. He can crap in his hat and wear it backward for all the attention he'll get from me.
  • I'm really hoping SCOTUS continues its trend of turning down ballot appeals and letting lower court rulings stand.
and finally...
  • The reason we're always being told we lost last time is because Hillary was the absolute worst candidate in the world. Untrustworthy, unlikable, and on and on and on. So this time we ran a guy who's well liked, who doesn't carry too much baggage, and is pretty much everything not-Hillary. If we can't win with Biden...then I just give up. The country has fallen and we're being ruled by the Taliban.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
It's just crazy to me how many people support this guy. On my way to work this morning I saw a car plastered with MAGA and Latinos4Trump written all over the window.

Yeah It's beyond comprehension for me to see that so many people may be still supporting him at this point.

See 2016 was one thing, and I do understand voting against a candidate for real or perceived unsuitability, and I do understand disillusionment, and there was plenty of that on both sides of the major party fences in 2016. There was a very unusual confluence of a lot of different currents and circumstances in 2016. I still believe we'll never untangle for sure the "why" of Trump having become our president in 2016, and I've never thought political strategists should extrapolate anything at all from his victory.

What I don't understand right now though? Any American who votes for Trump after really looking at Trump's performance and behavior in 2017-2020, and at the behavior of assorted high profile Republican House members and Senators..... and at Trump's revolving door cabinet and his manner of replacing (or, not replacing) the ones he fired or who resigned in the wake of a string of ethics investigations.. and at his non-leadership in this country's efforts to cope with the still dangerous coronavirus pandemic... and at his nonstop, pathological level of lying.

We did not used to be a nation of people unable even to agree on what is a fact, never mind what it may mean or suggest... and Trump is the first president in my awareness who has focused 100% of the time on using the White House as a hyperpartisan bully pulpit and campaign platform. There is no instance of which I'm aware when a GWBush or Barack Obama deliberately poured the gasoline of hatred on an American fire. None. Sure they both made gaffes and had unpopular policies. But Donald Trump has grudge lists, brain farts, fantasies of omnipotence and he routinely airs any and all of them at will from his Twitter account. Whoever mistakes that stuff for jokes or reality TV is doing this nation a disservice.

And then there is the huge disparity of what Trump says he has done in the way of MAGA! for his rally base, versus what the Federal Register says he has done TO them and to other ordinary Americans. Any reading of some of those rule changes makes it clear that the full and negative impact is still down the road apiece. Not all of them are easily reversible.

Sometimes one has to put on a critical thinking hat and step back and look at the real forest and the actual trees. It's not all just about gotcha politics and supporting a completely unqualified candidate "because I can, so fuck you!"​
Sometimes it's about thinking that there is after all something by original design that is exceptional about the USA... and that it belongs to all Americans, not just the ones who look like, behave like, act like the person we see in the mirror every morning.​
Our entire Constitution was designed to prevent tyranny... especially one created by a power-abusing autocrat with a minority following and a bunch of court lackeys in tow.​

So this is one of those times that the citizens of the USA get to exercise a Constitutional right to say "enough already, pack up, get out" at the polling place, when an incumbent has demonstrably failed in his sworn duties and disappointed too manyAmericans. Exercising a thoughtful vote helps preserve a Constitution that was never meant to be some kind of rubber stamp for an autocratic incumbency. It was meant to preserve our right to try to throw bad apples out peacefully.

I hope we can manage to remember in days ahead that freedom and anarchy are not the same thing. We are a nation that has chosen to live under rule of law and a people who make their choice of lawmakers known with ballots, not bullets.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I just did a count of all the direct emails I received from the Biden campaign (info@joebiden.com), every one of them asking for more money and the total is 672. I've opted to stay subscribed because I didn't want to jinx anything. Come on Biden, let's see this pay off!

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Oh, I'm already getting some emails asking for donations to fight the likely court battles.

And you know what? At the first hint of Trump taking this to court, Biden's getting my money.
Same here, I mean what are they going to do with my money on election day? I've given all I'm going to give already.

lizkat

Reaction score
Oh, I'm already getting some emails asking for donations to fight the likely court battles.

And you know what? At the first hint of Trump taking this to court, Biden's getting my money.

Act Blue is still raking it in at the rate of about five thousand dollars a minute or better... which, you know, since political junkies have all night tonight and all day tomorrow to do nothing but wait and watch means we can also click-and-kick-in more than 7 million bucks without breaking a sweat just in the next 24 hours.

The GOP admits to being astounded at the persistence of small dollar donors to Dem causes via the Act Blue operation. I'm astounded at my willingness to keep carving the beans out of my rice and beans budget lol.

lizkat

Reaction score
Same here, I mean what are they going to do with my money on election day? I've given all I'm going to give already.

All kidding aside, I'm also done. My last donation was to my own congresscritter, although Five Thirty Eight has him a 94% shoo-in for re-election. I figure he might need gas money to get home after the last round of get out the vote operations in the district today.

lizkat

Reaction score
I don’t think it will be close. I think the massive turnout is almost all for Biden. Trump never expanded beyond his hard-core base. Texas will go for Biden!

From your lips to the pen hands of the last remaining Texan women married to Trump fans who are in line now and are about to prove there are in fact a bunch of shy Biden voters.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Some of these CNN early exit polls are concerning, people seem more concerned about the economy than the virus. Good news for Trump it would seem.

Mark

Site Champ
Site Donor
Reaction score
@Scepticalscribe @Alli @Thomas Veil @iMi @Arkitect @ericgtr12 @Huntn @Chew Toy McCoy @SuperMatt @Apple fanboy @JagRunner @Renzatic @PearsonX @DT @Clix Pix @Yoused @Edd70 @Gutwrench @hulugu @JayMysteri0

@lizkat
YR*
"...There is no instance of which I'm aware when a GWBush or Barack Obama deliberately poured the gasoline of hatred on an American fire..."
you are absolutely right.
i would imagine that we all are not alone in thinking that W was a good, kind, well-intentioned person. he proved it time and again.
even though we disagreed vehemently with his policies that put us in jeapordy. and even though it is also true he and his Co-President Cheny might even have liable for crimes against humanity. both of these feelings are maddeningly true.
his admin had their vision. we disagree with it.

these Trumpublicans are thugs looking to subvert democracy and american political and government service traditions.

to all of us on this great Forum TalkedAbout this election 2020: have a safe and enjoyable 2020 election night and election month. don't stress out.
We will overcome, someday, my friends. Maybe tonight.

*YR abrreviation for your royalness.

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Meanwhile in the land of law & order Pt 2
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1323673195011051520/

While the USPS under 45 appointee
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1323752444866777090/

Judges ain't havin' it
Federal judge orders USPS to sweep facilities for undelivered mail-in ballots and immediately deliver them
The US Postal Service failed to meet a deadline set on Tuesday by US District Judge Emmet Sullivan to sweep facilities in several states for undelivered ballots and immediately send them to election officials, according to reporters. “There are only one or two Inspectors in any one facility, and thus they do not have the ability to personally scour the entire facility,” USPS said.

So what's to do? Not cooperate of course.
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1323741998529105920/

There needs to be some jail time for some MFers, cause DeJoy didn't get all this done on his own. Some complied.

lizkat

Reaction score
Some of these CNN early exit polls are concerning, people seem more concerned about the economy than the virus. Good news for Trump it would seem.

So let voters have their exit opinions to fill the media's empty hours... it's Biden who will see to an economic recovery. There are a lot of reasons exit polls are thought not to deserve the weight in 2020 that they've had in prior years. Much of that actually relates to the same coronavirus that some of these exiting Election Day voters are dismissing as not their primary focus.

And on the economy: when did Trump ever distinguish between the stock market and an American economy anyway? Surely not with an advisor like Kudlow, after Gary Cohn left his position as chief economic advisor, and that was in April of 2018.

Cohn himself was and is a markets kinda guy, you can't be more of one than to have come from Goldman Sachs, right?​
But Gary Cohn is also so much more than that (see just his Wiki bio). When he saw he was not making any inroads on Trump's ignorant trade war fetish, he resigned. He had meanwhile publicly repudiated Trump's "very fine people on both sides" stance regarding the Charlottesville incidents. Cohn is representative of the kind of talent and character that Donald Trump had on hand initially... people willing to serve at some sacrifice to their erstwhile private sector arrangements... and that Trump promptly squandered or dismissed out of hand.​

Ordinary Americans who think the economy matters more than covid-19 management AND who are voting for Trump in 2020 on that basis have their heads up their behinds.

Maybe they liked their unfunded tax cut. That's a one-off. Can't get blood out of a stone that the GOP has been wringing out for decades (in between telling Dems to quit spending money we don't have, whenever the GOP is out of power). Maybe these Trump voters of 2020 think Biden will raise their taxes. Well yeah, maybe he will. Trump would have had to do it too... or just keep on doing the equivalent of printing money. There are always choices. Sometimes it's absolutely the right thing to do for a government to print money. Doing it for a tax cut ain't it though.

For a voter in 2020 to be putting "the economy" before public health is insane. We have a consumerist economy that now more than ever is based on smoke and mirrors and plastic credit and a thoroughly trashed underclass aka American wage earners.

There will be no America as we ever knew it inside of six months if we don't get some sane management of both the course of this pandemic in the USA and the underpinnings of economic survival for Americans by the millions -- the ones now facing homelessness, joblessness, debt overhangs from temporary moratoriums issued during the early stimulus program.

Here's to an administration that will treat us all as Americans who may have different priorities, but that will acknowledge and even remind us that we're all in the same boat called the United States of America. I expect that of Joe Biden and Kamala Harris with a high degree of confidence they'll bring it. I never thought Trump-Pence would bring us a shred of that.. and they didn't.

Top Bottom
1 2