The George Floyd Trial

Pumbaa

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Almost everybody who thinks defund the police will destroy America doesn’t live in a place that NEEDS a movement like defund the police… OR they are among the group of folks who don’t get bothered by police if they DO live in an area like that. Philando Castile was pulled over FORTY-NINE TIMES by police, almost all for minor infractions like a “cracked taillight.” Is this what the police are there for? Just get more traffic cameras. I know white people who drive 80MPH+ everywhere they go and almost never get pulled over.

Defund the police is perhaps an overreaction, but the idea of looking at police budgets, looking at what police are actually doing, and how those things could be done better or more efficiently is just plain good governance. Funny that the same folks who complain about government spending suddenly act offended when anybody wants to look at an out-of-control police or military budget.
The reforms desired by the defund the police movement & friends should be seriously considered.

Calling it “defund the police” on the other hand is extremely stupid and counterproductive in my opinion. I’d bet most people who thinks defund the police will destroy America ain’t got a clue what is being asked for, all they get to hear is “abolish the police”. Sure, there is absolutely an overlap as well with people not getting bothered by police, but they could theoretically be interested in more efficient use of their tax money.

I get the impression that the conservatives are way better at PR and naming things than groups with more liberal views are. Can we find an alternate name for “defund the police” that is catchy and conveys that we want to get better police and services for the money, rather than getting rid of police and letting criminals wreak havoc?

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Almost everybody who thinks defund the police will destroy America doesn’t live in a place that NEEDS a movement like defund the police… OR they are among the group of folks who don’t get bothered by police if they DO live in an area like that. Philando Castile was pulled over FORTY-NINE TIMES by police, almost all for minor infractions like a “cracked taillight.” Is this what the police are there for? Just get more traffic cameras. I know white people who drive 80MPH+ everywhere they go and almost never get pulled over.

Defund the police is perhaps an overreaction, but the idea of looking at police budgets, looking at what police are actually doing, and how those things could be done better or more efficiently is just plain good governance. Funny that the same folks who complain about government spending suddenly act offended when anybody wants to look at an out-of-control police or military budget.

Defund the Police is a stupid reactionary name for obvious reasons, but Reallocate Some Funds From the Police to Other Departments Better Equipped For Specific Special Circumstances doesn’t just roll off the tongue as much, but you can’t make me believe a cop wouldn’t appreciate another department being the front line on calls involving severe mental illness or a related psychotic episode that isn’t life threatening. It seems like more times than not somebody placing a call to the police informs them if there is mental illness involved or the suspect experiencing the episode wasn’t an imminent deadly threat to their life or others until after the police arrived.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
The reforms desired by the defund the police movement & friends should be seriously considered.

Calling it “defund the police” on the other hand is extremely stupid and counterproductive in my opinion. I’d bet most people who thinks defund the police will destroy America ain’t got a clue what is being asked for, all they get to hear is “abolish the police”. Sure, there is absolutely an overlap as well with people not getting bothered by police, but they could theoretically be interested in more efficient use of their tax money.

I get the impression that the conservatives are way better at PR and naming things than groups with more liberal views are. Can we find an alternate name for “defund the police” that is catchy and conveys that we want to get better police and services for the money, rather than getting rid of police and letting criminals wreak havoc?
I think “defund the police” is quite popular in areas where the police are well-known for their bad behavior, and the residents are told there is no money for social services or better schools because of the police budget. Honestly, if Trump voters who live in areas where the police don’t bother them, or they have very few police (rural areas) are upset by it, who cares? In the end, the police of a city are governed by that city. Representatives from rural Louisiana are completely inconsequential in the politics of Minneapolis or Ferguson.

And let’s be absolutely clear. Right-wingers KNOW that defund the police is about cutting the crazy-high budgets, and diverting those funds to necessary social services. But they choose to focus on that one guy in the protest who insists that defund means abolish all police officers in the world. And even if that guy is imaginary, the right-wing will choose to believe not only that he exists, but that he represents what everybody calling for “defund” thinks.

Just look at the “you didn’t build that” from the right-wing to see that it’s not “defund the police” that is the problem. The outrage-generating machine called Fox will find SOME quote said by SOME person and take it out of context to declare that liberals are out to destroy America.

JayMysteri0

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Oh, I know:D Some cops got busted for making 200-300K in overtime in my city:D
I always remember this article when that topic comes up.

New York, one of the most expensive places to live, and in 2018 those were the two highest paid public employees.

👀

I'd argue that it isn't that "Defund the police" is an overreaction, it's often the assumptions tied to it. As in MR where sept brought out her violins for her husband, her husband is over qualified & over worked, because NOT enough police seem to be there. Defund the police wouldn't even be considered there, unless the officers are spending 90% of their time writing tickets to completely bankroll the police department. It's with her, hurt, tsimp, and others who play like "defund the police" is some kind of national mandate. It isn't.

Defund the police is on a case by case basis. For the crowd that gets bent out of shape saying people lump all officers in the bad category, they don't realize they are doing it as well by assuming defunding means ALL police. Defunding is for places where things break down so bad, the DoJ stops by and asks "WTF?"

The STAR program works in some places, but won't work everywhere. NOT everywhere needs to abolish their police to weed out the bad officers they can't because of contracts. Many police departments work absolutely fine, and may need as you say their budgets looked over a little more closely.

But for some...

Really?!

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I'd argue that it isn't that "Defund the police" is an overreaction, it's often the assumptions tied to it. As in MR where sept brought out her violins for her husband, her husband is over qualified & over worked, because NOT enough police seem to be there. Defund the police wouldn't even be considered there, unless the officers are spending 90% of their time writing tickets to completely bankroll the police department. It's with her, hurt, tsimp, and others who play like "defund the police" is some kind of national mandate. It isn't.
I agree 100%. Who cares if everybody on the right is mad about “defund the police”? Most of them think Chauvin should run for governor instead of going to prison. They also wanted to throw out ballots in states that didn’t have the same restrictive voting rules as Texas... But then are outraged that Congress would pass a bill standardizing voting procedures across the country, because THEY don’t want to be told what to do in THEIR state.

The GOP is like a party run by toddlers. Nothing you can do will please them, so don’t even try. If they get mad at “defund the police” - say it louder. Sorry, I’m sick of them. If they’re gonna spend 4 years telling everybody else to F their feelings, they can do the same for the next 8-12 years (hopefully at least) while Democrats are in charge.

Defund won’t work nationwide, and it was never meant to. So if your town, village, city, whatever... needs to divert funds from the cops to other priorities, shout it loud and proud and get it done!

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I don’t know what it is, but they certainly aren’t offering anything of substance. Maybe they appeal to people dumb enough to simply believe in catchy slogans instead of actually thinking through issues, or *gasp* thinking for themselves? I don’t know, but the GOP has become absolutely tribal at this point. They threw out massive pillars of their party platform just because Trump didn’t like them. That is tribalism + cult of personality. A very dangerous combination.

Chew Toy McCoy

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
The GOP is like a party run by toddlers. Nothing you can do will please them, so don’t even try.

At this point the GOP is completely run by Fox News. It’s like the right’s version of the deep state. Nobody voted for Fox News on a ballot but that’s who is running things.

Speaking of which, Fox News seems to spend a lot of time reporting on what other news networks are reporting and I don’t see that happening from other news sources.

“Yo, I heard you like news sites. So we report about news sites on our news site.”

xzib.jpg

Yoused

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
ok, what?

The email, titled “White Student Support Group” was sent by Piedmont Unified School District’s assistant superintendent to students at the district’s two high schools the day after jurors in Minnesota convicted Chauvin on April 20. The email offered a “restorative community circle … to support White students who would like to discuss how the trial, verdict, and experiences related to the George Floyd murder are impacting you.”

Following criticism over her note, Assistant Superintendent Cheryl Wozniak sent an apology email on April 22, explaining that the support circle for White students was supposed to be about how White students could be “allies” to people of color.

Yeah, it was supposed to be how you can make black friends, yeah, yeah, that's it, that's the ticket. (s I am believing it /s)

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
The NY Times did a focus group with conservatives, asking them about George Floyd. Many of the responses are about what you’d expect, but I found the responses from a Columbus schoolteacher truly nasty:

Taylor: I’m a teacher in Columbus. My school’s, like, 99 percent African-Americans. So there was almost, like, a pressure on me that after that if I didn’t show some kind of sympathy towards it. It was almost kind of like, I was viewed as lesser than.

So I would have to have these conversations with my students. And I was so conflicted because I’m just like, OK, we’re focusing in on this. But we don’t even know all the details. But I’m having to have these conversations with my students that are 100 percent gung ho. And I’m like, I’m so torn.

Over the course of this past year, I have grown more and more skeptical and have been very, not paranoid but just very — skeptical is the best word of just what they really, truly stand for, how they use their funds for corrupt leaders. Their mission is not condemning violence in some areas. But then they’ll condemn it in others. It’s like, you can’t have it both ways.

Now I’m to the point where the mention of Black Lives Matter, when I read projects from my students — all the time they focus on things to do with race — I’m just like, I’m done. I’m very much over it.
Imagine this guy as your teacher.
Taylor: I think overwhelmingly when you look at 26 million people, yes, probably statistically they were a majority peaceful. But what we saw and what the majority of people were led to believe was that it wasn’t.

I know my family owns restaurants in downtown Cincinnati. And the fact that even if they were peaceful, the fact that they had to close down every other day for weeks on end, not because of Covid but because of fears of getting their windows knocked in.
This is utter BS. Restaurants were closed due to COVID. Just because his family had fear doesn’t mean there was actual danger. There were some places that boarded themselves up after the George Floyd murder here in DC. Most places didn’t. Guess which prominent building did? The CATO institute.

Then there is this baloney that I really dislike:

Patrick Healy: But just listening to your students’ experiences, your Black students’ experiences, did that influence your thinking about the group or the idea at all?

Taylor: I mean, I think, as a teacher, you have to keep an open mind to an extent. You have to be able to at least listen. So I’ve definitely listened to my students because I’m not Black. And I don’t know what they’re going through. And I will never be able to be fully in their shoes.

They don’t see me as, like, a sympathizer with white people or with cops. They see me as, well, we’re going to talk about it with you. But you’ll never fully understand.

Louis (from Arizona): I don’t think anyone knows how anyone else feels because they can’t walk in their shoes. So Black people can’t walk in my shoes. And I can’t walk in their shoes, OK? We can only imagine what’s gone on.
If one cannot fathom what it is like to be black, then one has a crappy imagination. Ok, then watch Roots. Talk to black people about it. Listen. When people say this, they aren’t even trying. They just don’t give a 💩, because they are white and it will never affect them.

Full article (paywall probably):

JayMysteri0

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
The NY Times did a focus group with conservatives, asking them about George Floyd. Many of the responses are about what you’d expect, but I found the responses from a Columbus schoolteacher truly nasty:

Imagine this guy as your teacher.

This is utter BS. Restaurants were closed due to COVID. Just because his family had fear doesn’t mean there was actual danger. There were some places that boarded themselves up after the George Floyd murder here in DC. Most places didn’t. Guess which prominent building did? The CATO institute.

Then there is this baloney that I really dislike:

If one cannot fathom what it is like to be black, then one has a crappy imagination. Ok, then watch Roots. Talk to black people about it. Listen. When people say this, they aren’t even trying. They just don’t give a 💩, because they are white and it will never affect them.

Full article (paywall probably):

THIS is what blows my mind.

WHY the FUCK does ANYONE care about what 45 supporters think in this matter? Is anything revealed a shock? No. If anything it just makes that group look even more deplorable, even though they get in their feels when you call them that. That's just an article that did NOT need to happen.

Pumbaa

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score

WHY the FUCK does ANYONE care about what 45 supporters think in this matter? Is anything revealed a shock? No. If anything it just makes that group look even more deplorable, even though they get in their feels when you call them that. That's just an article that did NOT need to happen.
Clicks/Shares.

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score

Some NY Times readers might be in a bit of an echo chamber, so maybe this was news to them? This is part of a larger series on the Floyd murder, coming at it from multiple angles.

JayMysteri0

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Some NY Times readers might be in a bit of an echo chamber, so maybe this was news to them? This is part of a larger series on the Floyd murder, coming at it from multiple angles.
That's like saying this is from multiple angles...
7fga.gif

Naaaahh! You kind of have an idea of what might happen.

P_X

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Site Donor
Reaction score

I started listening and lost interest. They warmed up the focus group with simple descriptions of Trump. And amongst BS like "A true American example" etc, there was only one guy who said, a "Narcissist who's surprisingly effective." That's the only person whose opinion I would be interested in the group, the opinions of the rest I know without having to listen.

Pumbaa

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
That's like saying this is from multiple angles...
7fga.gif

Naaaahh! You kind of have an idea of what might happen.
True. But imagine actually having multiple angles of that incident and then adding Yakety Sax as soundtrack!

As part of a larger piece on the Floyd murder the 45 supporters’ view might actually be relevant to put everything in context. I mean, the murder was not an isolated incident. It wasn’t just a bad donut/apple. America got history. Something is rotten. Things are connected.

Not saying that NY Times is writing what needs to be written. Just that it could theoretically be possible to make the 45 angle relevant. :p

Top Bottom