The Great British Baking Show

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
My wife and I are big Great British Baking Show fans. While I personally preferred the previous hosts and Mary Berry, we continue to watch it regularly. I remember Prue talking about worth the calories - I took that as “worth it to her” so I really didn’t feel anything when she made that statement. I’ve had people tell me that things I like aren’t worth the calories for them, that they’d rather eat (vs drink) their calories - hey, whatever makes you happy, right? Variety is the spice of life.

Spending what limited time we have on this planet outraged at other people’s words seems a very poor way to live life - that and, my personal experience has taught me that trying to change other people to do what you want is not a very successful endeavor. In my limited opinion, this place would be so much better if people stopped trying to change others - that applies to both sides.

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
My wife and I are big Great British Baking Show fans. While I personally preferred the previous hosts and Mary Berry, we continue to watch it regularly. I remember Prue talking about worth the calories - I took that as “worth it to her” so I really didn’t feel anything when she made that statement. I’ve had people tell me that things I like aren’t worth the calories for them, that they’d rather eat (vs drink) their calories - hey, whatever makes you happy, right? Variety is the spice of life.

Spending what limited time we have on this planet outraged at other people’s words seems a very poor way to live life - that and, my personal experience has taught me that trying to change other people to do what you want is not a very successful endeavor. In my limited opinion, this place would be so much better if people stopped trying to change others - that applies to both sides.

As someone who has dealt with an eating disorder -- anorexia nervosa -- I can definitely attest that the phrase "worth the calories", while not all that meaningful to most people is definitely something which is dangerous to people who are entrenched in an eating disorder. An anorexic individual hears these words and interprets these words very differently.....and not in a good, positive way. They lead the person further down a path and traps them into a life which leads to voluntary starvation and consistently over time depriving oneself of more and more essential nutrients. I all too well remember evaluating foods in terms of being "worth the calories." The reality here is that this leads to someone having lettuce and maybe a few slices of tomato and possibly some mushrooms or celery, too, but eliminating the salad dressing, even a minimal one, because, well, that salad dressing, just like other ingredients which would often be included in a salad, suddenly drops into the category of it isn't "worth the calories."

Oh, and by the way....for the anorexic individual, that meal I just described above is usually the only one consumed all day.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

I've been debating on whether to watch this show or not, my biggest concern is too much drama, like that Gordon Ramsey show where he's just an asshole to everyone. If it's normal without any of that I would be very interested. I know England has some wonderful reality shows like The Repair Shop or The Great Pottery Showdown that are good fun and friendly without all of that.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
I've been debating on whether to watch this show or not, my biggest concern is too much drama, like that Gordon Ramsey show where he's just an asshole to everyone. If it's normal without any of that I would be very interested. I know England has some wonderful reality shows like The Repair Shop or The Great Pottery Showdown that are good fun and friendly without all of that.

The Great British Bake Off has a far better (more gentle) 'vibe' to it, than Gordon Ramsay's show; it is not at all nasty, but is entertaining, interesting and thoroughly enjoyable.

Mind you, Gordon (who has mellowed considerably) is a lot better than he was.

Last edited:

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
Mind you, Gordon (who has mellowed considerably) is a lot better than he was.

It was my understanding that the "mean Gordon" is a completely fictional character for Hell's Kitchen or whatever it was. I thought he was a decent fellow playing a mean role. But I'll confess, I don't know that for sure. He could be a complete turd in real life for all I know.

I DO know that Alton Brown from Cutthroat Kitchen once posted that he's just playing a role on the show and if you want to see what he's really like, go watch Good Eats.

Remember, there's nothing "real" about Reality TV. When you take Reality TV and strip away the manufactured drama, what you're left with is a documentary. And no one wants to watch a boring documentary. So they... spice it up, pun intended.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
It was my understanding that the "mean Gordon" is a completely fictional character for Hell's Kitchen or whatever it was. I thought he was a decent fellow playing a mean role. But I'll confess, I don't know that for sure. He could be a complete turd in real life for all I know.

I DO know that Alton Brown from Cutthroat Kitchen once posted that he's just playing a role on the show and if you want to see what he's really like, go watch Good Eats.

Remember, there's nothing "real" about Reality TV. When you take Reality TV and strip away the manufactured drama, what you're left with is a documentary. And no one wants to watch a boring documentary. So they... spice it up, pun intended.

You make a very good (and fair) point, because the Gordon I see in actual cookery shows of his (not Hell's Kitchen, which has never appealed to me, I don't like shows where aggression, foul language, or humiliation are staples of the genre; I'm not sure that "spicing it up" adds to the show - certainly, I am not remotely attracted to it) is excellent, informed and extremely interesting.

In fact, some of his recipes are excellent, tasty and very doable - and I can write this, as I have attempted them (successfully).

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

I think people must find that sort of thing entertaining but I have absolutely no interest in seeing people treating others the way he did, it's turned me off completely to the guy. The way they've been making these shows in England (at least the ones I mentioned above) is really delightful to watch, friendly competitions without all the drama.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
The Great British Bake Off has a far better (more gentle) 'vibe' to it, than Gordon Ramsay's show; it is not at all nasty, but is entertaining, interesting and thoroughly enjoyable.
Did you ever watch Lenny Henry's Chef! ? That (fictional) show had some classic moments in it. One might infer from it that michelin-starred chefs are prima donnas and Ramsay's onscreen persona might not be all that far off the mark.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Did you ever watch Lenny Henry's Chef! ? That (fictional) show had some classic moments in it. One might infer from it that michelin-starred chefs are prima donnas and Ramsay's onscreen persona might not be all that far off the mark.

No, I'm afraid that I haven't seen it.

MEJHarrison

Site Champ
Reaction score
I think people must find that sort of thing entertaining but I have absolutely no interest in seeing people treating others the way he did, it's turned me off completely to the guy. The way they've been making these shows in England (at least the ones I mentioned above) is really delightful to watch, friendly competitions without all the drama.

I've never really watched any of his shows as I don't watch tons of cooking shows. When I do, I like Good Eats. It's fun and informative and tosses in some science for kicks. The traditional cooking shows aren't my cup of tea.

I just finished watching Good with Wood, a show from Whales that was about woodworking and it was a delight. My only complaint is I wish they'd mix up the formula a little. My problem is I enjoy watching people make interesting things, but as the shows go on, you get less and less of that until there's only 2 or 3 people making something. I say let everyone stay and compete in every challenge for points. Then the person with the most points at the end is the winner.

I love watching people compete like that and make cool stuff. I've seen glass blowing, gingerbread houses, body painting, metal work (though I don't care for the shows that are just a different weapon each episode), LEGO, etc. As you mentioned, The Repair Shop was fantastic. Love to see more of that. I've not yet crossed paths with the pottery show.

Scepticalscribe

Cancelled
Reaction score
Great idea for this topic to have its very own thread, @Eric.

Actually, I loved the season when Nadiya Hussein (brown, British, female, and Muslim) won the show - that really did, how shall one express this? - "challenge expectations".

And, she has been a superlative (and engaging and articulate and thoughtful) role model - and has been very much - and quite wonderfully - aware of this, ever since.

Last edited:

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
We love this show. They have a good mix of contestants. There isn't manufactured drama. And the hosts aren't complete arseholes. We've followed several former contestants (not just season winners) online and love the Christmas competitions.

BigMcGuire

Old Trekkie
Site Donor
Reaction score
I can’t stand the few American cooking shows I’ve seen because of the stress. Great British Baking Show - especially early on, was/is so relaxing, pleasant to watch that I was hooked. While there is competition, it’s usually really friendly and positive. Later on you can see the show slowly start to pick up on that “rush rush rush” especially as the clock gets closer - but it’s nowhere near the stress of some of the other cooking shows I’ve seen (that I can’t stand). I’ve found it to be really enjoyable.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I can’t stand the few American cooking shows I’ve seen because of the stress. Great British Baking Show - especially early on, was/is so relaxing, pleasant to watch that I was hooked. While there is competition, it’s usually really friendly and positive. Later on you can see the show slowly start to pick up on that “rush rush rush” especially as the clock gets closer - but it’s nowhere near the stress of some of the other cooking shows I’ve seen (that I can’t stand). I’ve found it to be really enjoyable.
Yeah, they do that as the clock ticks down all the time now on Chopped, it's so manufactured to the point of being laughable but I can live with that. I'm giving this one a chance and can see it's a nice and friendly competition show. If you haven't checked it out you might like The Great Pottery Showdown on HBO Max if you haven't seen it, very much in the same vein.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I only watched this because my wife‘s a fan but I really enjoyed this last season. The behavior and interactions are so far from US reality shows. Also enjoying Escape to the Château recently. Both shows are new to me.

Top Bottom
1 2