The iPhone 13 Thread

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
I prefer face ID. In the winter with dry skin, the fingerprint reader can be a bit hit-or-miss. And for the elderly, the fingerprint reader often doesn’t work at all.
My mother has no fingerprints. So she’s never gotten TouchID to work. FaceID would be perfect for her.
FaceID is way, way, way more accurate and faster than TouchID for me. When I went from my 8 Plus to the 12 Pro Max, FaceID blew me away. TouchID also sucks with wet hands. Always made it a massive pain trying to unlock my phone during a workout with sweaty hands. I never want to back to TouchID.
I have a love/hate relationship with FaceID. There are many days I want TouchID back. Sometimes I don’t want to pick the phone up off the desk. I can see the screen fine to read it, wth can’t it see me? But TouchID can suck when your fingers are too dry or slightly damp. Would it be too much to ask for both?

Clix Pix

Focused
Site Donor
Reaction score
Eight Miles from the Tysons Apple Store, No. VA
Main Camera
Sony
I never had good luck with Touch ID and really wasn't sure that I'd be successful with Face ID, but by gum, the latter works just fine for me. When I got the 13" M1 MBP I decided to go ahead and activate Touch ID on it, although I never bothered doing so on my 2018 machine. It worked pretty well for a while but the last two or three times I tried to use it, oops, wound up having to still type in the password anyway. I need to check in Settings and maybe try doing the finger setup again in case something has gone awry in the meantime.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I prefer face ID. In the winter with dry skin, the fingerprint reader can be a bit hit-or-miss. And for the elderly, the fingerprint reader often doesn’t work at all.

Yeah, I don't have fingerprints that scan very well, you know, my line of business ...

U

User.45

Yeah, I don't have fingerprints that scan very well, you know, my line of business ...
THe redundancy trick makes TouchID a lot more reliable: you just register your thumb/index finger twice.

Face ID isn't useful when wearing a mask. Yeah, first world problems, but TouchID would have come in handy during the pandemic.

I have an Apple Watch so apparently there's going to be an update where the phone opens if you're wearing your watch. I love that feature since I use it on my MacBook all the time.
I've always hated the FaceID concept. Provides no benefit IMHO, if you don't need to touch your phone, you can access its functions on your Mac.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
THe redundancy trick makes TouchID a lot more reliable: you just register your thumb/index finger twice.

I've always hated the FaceID concept. Provides no benefit IMHO, if you don't need to touch your phone, you can access its functions on your Mac.

Yeah, it didn't help much for me, I have seriously shallow fingerprints, I went through some, umm, secret authorizations that required prints, it took an hour. I also have issues with the quick-e-readers like at Universal (when you first enter the park), so much, that I got an additional ID card that I use.

I __love__ FaceID :D

U

User.45

Yeah, it didn't help much for me, I have seriously shallow fingerprints, I went through some, umm, secret authorizations that required prints, it took an hour. I also have issues with the quick-e-readers like at Universal (when you first enter the park), so much, that I got an additional ID card that I use.

I __love__ FaceID :D
1614267004656.png

Stonk guy has the opposite issue

Top Bottom
1 2