The iPhone 13 Thread

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
And we're off...

From everything we've heard so far, the iPhone 13 is set to offer a 120Hz LTPO display on both Pro models, improved battery life thanks to a more efficient 5G modem, as well as substantial upgrades to the all-important cameras. That includes a LiDAR sensor on cheaper iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini, as well as a new portrait video mode.

As for the design, we've heard that the notch is shrinking and at least one iPhone 13 model may come with a truly portless design. That's actually possible now that we have MagSafe charging. We could fiinally see an always-on display, too.

Based on all the rumors and leaks out there already, here's everything we know about the iPhone 13.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm really liking the sound of these rumors especially the 120Hz display. AoD would also be pretty cool. I'm still betting on it being the 12s though.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I'm just going to sit tight and wait to see how significant the changes are. I've said "I'm not upgrading this time" and then upgraded anyway too many times to say anything just yet. 😛

Alli

Perfection
Staff Member
Site Donor
Reaction score
The AOD is a big draw to me. I was really hoping that they would switch to USB-C for the upcoming model. Of course, I skipped the 12, so I might allow myself to buy the 13.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
The AOD isn't so important to me, but a fingerprint scanner on the display would be great for nowadays.

I still haven't upgraded from my XR and really don't feel the need. The only issue I have with the phone is the face ID in the time of masks.

Not sure I want to have to wear my watch to open the phone with a mask on and not put in my code for the umpteenth time.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
I wish I could wait but I've already waited too long. My iOS is no longer supported on the 6 and often apps I need won't work or can't be downloaded due to my ancient iOS. I did buy the 12 pro but upon seeing it in real life, found it too heavy and large for my needs so immediately returned it. The mini will be the perfect size for my small hands and I have missed that flat edge since my 5 took a deep dive.

I'm facing the same problem with my aging iPad Air. Yes, the original one. I'm not one that needs to upgrade my electronics every cycle. Nor can I afford to do so. But even more so, I hate how much ends up in landfills especially after seeing one up close and personal. I realize some things get recycled but not all.

Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
The AOD isn't so important to me, but a fingerprint scanner on the display would be great for nowadays.

I still haven't upgraded from my XR and really don't feel the need. The only issue I have with the phone is the face ID in the time of masks.

Not sure I want to have to wear my watch to open the phone with a mask on and not put in my code for the umpteenth time.
IMO they did away with the fingerprint scanner way too soon on their premium devices, it had its uses and in many way was more preferable to me than Face ID.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
IMO they did away with the fingerprint scanner way too soon on their premium devices, it had its uses and in many way was more preferable to me than Face ID.

I had the iPhone SE 2020 for a few months. I loved TouchID on it. The only thing that sucked with the SE 2020 was the battery life.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I prefer face ID. In the winter with dry skin, the fingerprint reader can be a bit hit-or-miss. And for the elderly, the fingerprint reader often doesn’t work at all.

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
The fuddy-duddy in me considers the always on display a waste of battery power. But I'm still using an iPhone 7 Plus, partly because I prefer Touch ID and partly because it's so durable I'm gonna have to put a bullet in the damn thing before I actually need a new phone. Like @shadow puppet, I'll probably get one when my OS and apps can't be updated anymore.

shadow puppet

Certifiable
Reaction score
The fuddy-duddy in me considers the always on display a waste of battery power. But I'm still using an iPhone 7 Plus, partly because I prefer Touch ID and partly because it's so durable I'm gonna have to put a bullet in the damn thing before I actually need a new phone. Like @shadow puppet, I'll probably get one when my OS and apps can't be updated anymore.
That is another reason I haven't yet upgraded my iPhone 6. Other than one battery replacement about a year ago, you can't kill this thing. It just keeps on running. #EnergizerBunny

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
That is another reason I haven't yet upgraded my iPhone 6. Other than one battery replacement about a year ago, you can't kill this thing. It just keeps on running. #EnergizerBunny
I replaced a 6 with a 2020 SE. After experiencing the improvements I’ve decided 5 years is too long to keep a phone. Struggling with too much by that point.

Loved the 6 overall though. No major problems when I replaced it. It’s just tired.

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
I prefer face ID. In the winter with dry skin, the fingerprint reader can be a bit hit-or-miss. And for the elderly, the fingerprint reader often doesn’t work at all.
FaceID is way, way, way more accurate and faster than TouchID for me. When I went from my 8 Plus to the 12 Pro Max, FaceID blew me away. TouchID also sucks with wet hands. Always made it a massive pain trying to unlock my phone during a workout with sweaty hands. I never want to back to TouchID.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
FaceID is way, way, way more accurate and faster than TouchID for me. When I went from my 8 Plus to the 12 Pro Max, FaceID blew me away. TouchID also sucks with wet hands. Always made it a massive pain trying to unlock my phone during a workout with sweaty hands. I never want to back to TouchID.
I don't mind it TBH I just had an easier time with Touch ID because I didn't have to present my face when unlocking in my car holder or when wearing a mask, etc. it's mostly just a matter of convenience. One thing I always had a hard time with was dry finger tips but was able to work that out by using the bottom half of my finger.

Last edited:

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score

Except my parents still can't get the fingerprint sensor to work or wrap their head around it for some reason. It boggles my mind how they seem to be incapable of lightly putting their finger flat on the button. They're still on the last model that had that. I look forward to seeing how they can screw up face ID.

Joe

Elite Member
Reaction score
Face ID isn't useful when wearing a mask. Yeah, first world problems, but TouchID would have come in handy during the pandemic.

I have an Apple Watch so apparently there's going to be an update where the phone opens if you're wearing your watch. I love that feature since I use it on my MacBook all the time.

Top Bottom
1 2