Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
It's not looking good for him. There are enough real issues of racial profiling and white supremacy, someone taking these steps only serves to delegitimize them. Hoping they fully throw the book at him and set an example.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Jussie Smollett's actions have contributed more to the racist community than a thousand neo-Nazi marches.

Now, when some random obviously racist thing occurs, the apologists can so easily point to Jussie, and claim it was staged.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I will be waiting for all the media personalities that supported him without question to revisit their prior positions.

But I really don't expect that to happen. :(

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
I will be waiting for all the media personalities that supported him without question to revisit their prior positions.

But I really don't expect that to happen. :(
To be fair when it first happened it looked legit at face value. I don't blame anyone who was outraged at the incident at the time it was purported, but certainly will anyone defending him after learning the truth.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Apparently this trial is a train wreck.

He is still all-in on actually being attacked.

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Last edited:

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony
Apparently this trial is a train wreck.

He is still all-in on actually being attacked.
Yep, he's got a screw loose. This entire thing is open and shut, what an embarrassment.

AG_PhamD

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see what happens at sentencing. The normal expectation for someone with no criminal history is probation + community service. In my opinion that seems like a light sentence for someone who cost the police 3000 man hours and $100,000, not to mention instigated racial tension in an already tense time and potentially questions the legitimacy of victims of actual hate crimes. I don’t think he deserves to spend years in jail, but maybe a week just to make a point.

In the future, I’d love to see a law that treats hate crime hoaxes as equivalent or nearly equivalent to hate crimes. The people affected by real hate crimes extend well beyond the intended victim- that’s kind of the point. A hoax is no different, at least until the hoax is discovered but by that point the damage is done.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
It’ll be interesting to see what happens at sentencing. The normal expectation for someone with no criminal history is probation + community service. In my opinion that seems like a light sentence for someone who cost the police 3000 man hours and $100,000, not to mention instigated racial tension in an already tense time and potentially questions the legitimacy of victims of actual hate crimes. I don’t think he deserves to spend years in jail, but maybe a week just to make a point.

In the future, I’d love to see a law that treats hate crime hoaxes as equivalent or nearly equivalent to hate crimes. The people affected by real hate crimes extend well beyond the intended victim- that’s kind of the point. A hoax is no different, at least until the hoax is discovered but by that point the damage is done.
Hate crimes generally consist of serious physical harm and/or death to the victims. While perpetuating a hoax like this is reprehensible, it seems to me that an actual hate crime should have a much stronger penalty.

Cmaier

Elite Member
Staff Member
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score

Given that he testified, and apparently came across as lying, the judge could take into account uncharged perjury in the sentencing.

AG_PhamD

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Reaction score
This is the timeline of this case.

It's a shame and not only for Jussie Smollett but for this people too.

I will preface this by saying I’m not a fan of most of the people on this list (I’m really not a fan of any politicians).

But, as silly as their posts look in retrospect, I think most are basically well intentioned, supporting the victim of what was assumed a horrific attack. Most of these were posted within a day after the “incident”. Fabricating a hoax hate crime against yourself is so beyond pathological I don’t think it would reasonably cross one’s mind… at least until all the absurdities start unraveling. So I can’t be too hard on them for that.

I think if a notable politician is going to comment on a hate crime, they should also comment on a hate crime hoax. Hoaxes can be just as bad, if not worse in some ways.

Ulenspiegel

διπλωμάτης
Vaccinated
Reaction score
I share your sentiment.

Ideally a politician has to think before opening a mouth and especially not blinded by bias as well as current political trends.

It is a utopia, evidently.

All people make mistakes, but if so, it should be voiced as vehemently as when the mistake was made.

It goes to all participants of the political palette.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 215

I think there's a difference between making a sympathetic comment on a reported hate crime and say, blaming your favorite hated group (Muslims, the far right) for a mass attack when nothing is yet known about the perpetrator's identity. But I agree they should own up to being wrong and perhaps make a comment on the heinousness of faking a hate crime and the damage it does.

Looks like BLM Los Angeles is choosing to die on this hill:

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
I think there's a difference between making a sympathetic comment on a reported hate crime and say, blaming your favorite hated group (Muslims, the far right) for a mass attack when nothing is yet known about the perpetrator's identity. But I agree they should own up to being wrong and perhaps make a comment on the heinousness of faking a hate crime and the damage it does.

Such a bad call. Now I’d have to wonder what they even stand for. Dishonesty is a Trumper thing. Pick your side.

Eric

Mama's lil stinker
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Instagram
Main Camera
Sony

I am always on the side of BLM but they're on the wrong side of this one, in fact if they genuinely want to stamp out "real" injustices (to which there is no shortage) they should come down hard on this. All they're doing is downplaying it for those who have truly faced it, this is a shame.

Top Bottom