The Malignancy At Fox News, Can It Be Cured?

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Why I love Vanity Fair, a potent political vehicle. Eye opener, check the link:
“HANNITY HAS SAID TO ME MORE THAN ONCE, ‘HE’S CRAZY’”: FOX NEWS STAFFERS FEEL TRAPPED IN THE TRUMP CULT
Inside the network staffers are cringing, and even Trump’s “shadow chief of staff” has his doubts. “If you were hearing what I’m hearing, you’d be vaping too,” Sean Hannity told a colleague during Trump’s early days.

F680FA71-7D51-4BD0-BFB6-D1419100061B.jpeg

Landing an interview with a president used to be a big deal. Negotiations between a network producer and the White House press office could drag on for months. No detail was too small to haggle over: background, time of day, exact number of minutes. Presidential sit-downs were the pinnacles of many news anchors’ careers.

No more. Just as he has bulldozed so many political norms, Donald Trump has turned the presidential TV interview into a joke. Fox News lets him call in for talk radio-style rant sessions, the length of which are a punch line among rank-and-file Fox staffers who secretly despise him despite working for his media machine. “When Trump was booked for 8:10, and we had an assignment for 8:40, we didn’t bother writing it, because we knew he’d talk until the end of the hour,” a producer for Fox & Friends told me.

He called the “Friends” and Jeanine Pirro and Sean Hannity and Maria Bartiromo. Every so often he’d consent to an on-camera chat, but he liked the phone. It made him seem busy when he wasn’t. The interviews, if they can really be called that, were subject to his whims, causing no small amount of competition among the Trump bootlickers at Fox

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I feel zero sympathy for anybody there who doesn't bail on the place.

When that network began, I remember it sent a shudder up my spine. My greatest fear was that some day Fox would turn America into...well, what it is now.

People keep wondering how so many Americans got so hateful, ignorant and uninformed. Really, if you were paying attention, you could see it coming.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
My only comfort is these network news personalities are probably deathly afraid of the common citizen and there are a lot more of us than there are of them. I’m sure for the limited time they might put themselves in the general public there is a constant anxiety that will probably remain for the rest of their lives.

There will be a time when Hannity will have to distance himself from Trump and as a result will end up on some deranged Trump-4-Lifer’s kill list.

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
well the problem for hannity is what to do for a second act. i don't watch TV so i'm not sure of course but he seems like a poor fit for anchor of a news oriented show on other networks. he's like welded to Trump at the hip out there in TV viewer land, no?

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Hahaha, @hulugu totally dunked on Mikey over at MR, re: this topic :D

Quoting myself because I honestly had a ton of fun writing this:

"Can the malignancy at Fox News be cured?

No.

Or, yes, but only with a tactical thermonuclear warhead dropped from an orbiting Conestoga-class light assault carrier, as "It's the only way to be sure."

And, the reason is this:
s2mikey said:
Oh boy. News organizations are mostly the same. FOX draws a lot of viewers and continues to get solid rating. People like the counter effect it has against the hard-left sites like CNN or MSNBC which have their own goofiness, fake news & whatever you're complaining about regarding Fox. They(FOX) arent going anywhere. The ratings dictate that they'll be around for a while. :)
So, long as Fox News is presented as some hard-right bastion, created to balance so-called left-leaning in media, it will be a malignant mass in American journalism. Because journalism isn't about balancing against the other guy, it's about getting facts and uncovering truths.

Now, there's a space for advocacy journalism—a good example is the environmental journalism of National Geographic or High Country News—but that's not what Fox does. Fox doesn't set forth to assemble facts that might help present an idea, rather it makes them out of whole cloth for entertainment's sake and calls it journalism—like a vampire's charm just before he tears open your throat.

Fox News is akin to the idea that if a boat has been listing left, everyone should run to starboard because there's a fire to port, never mind that this will just capsize the boat. The right thing to do is report fairly, but Fox News doesn't report at all. Rather, it's a agitprop machine for the American right-wing that occassionally includes journalism. It spends vast sums of money on "personalities" (who in polite company are known as shit-heads and asholes) and accomplishes almost no journalism. If it does on some blue moon night, it's by shear accident, and the network covers that up like its a toxic waste emission, burying real journalism with ash and bullshit.

And, people hightlight those occasional acts of journalism like a child defending Lucky Charms cereal as healthy, never mind all the marshmallows and artificial food coloring that makes up 90 percent of its calories.

Fox News is a teratoma of garbage entertainment, flashy graphics, and morons pretending that they didn't day-drink through their college experiences and pass out during rhetoric and logic. It's lawyers getting paid to yammer incoherently, and the network's so virulent that it's given CNN and MSNBC the same kind of brain-snacking spongiform that's making Fox dumber by the year.

The fact that the network manage to piss of Trump, who now prefers the onanistic OANN, is just a further sign that once the devil catches you, he's just going to twist the knife even more.

Fox News is a pox on modern journalism. And, its ratings are only good because America has stopped watching network television due to an increasingly fractured audience, spread across various streaming services. It's like a piece of kelp congratulating itself for landing on the beach because the tide went out. Fox News is the C-average student who's now valedictorian because everyone else got mono.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I was chuckling that Mikey's retort was the equivalent of Emperor Joseph's comment about the Entfuhrung aus dem Serail, i.e., "Too many notes ..."

You say lots o' words, you must be one o' them ee-leets ...

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
Hahaha, @hulugu totally dunked on Mikey over at MR, re: this topic :D
Dammit, D_T! I went over there to see that, and in doing so made the mistake of clicking on an “ignored member” link that turned out to be AppleOC. I had to immediately run to the freezer and stick my head in to keep my brain from melting.

He’s still frothing about his precious Durham report and yelling “TDS! TDS! TDS!” 😣 He’s st-st-st-st-stuck.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
I was chuckling that Mikey's retort was the equivalent of Emperor Joseph's comment about the Entfuhrung aus dem Serail, i.e., "Too many notes ..."

I mean, he's right in that I've played this song before, but the reason I keep nattering on like this is because people keep defending Fox News.

And, what gets me is that they always run to the ratings argument, but don't want to read an actual AdWeek article that shows that Fox News is the highest rated cable news network, which is like saying the fastest three-toed sloth. Yeah, he's speedy, but he's still a goddamned sloth.

I wish people would just read, rather than getting all their information fed to them by rage and bullshit machines.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
That was brilliant. You must have enjoyed it immensely.

Sometimes you gotta just swing for the fences. And, sometimes you can hear the essential crack of a good phrase echoing out.

Most time being a writer is the drudgery of simple mechanics—lede, nut graf, quote—and sometimes you can use teratoma and onanistic.

Renzatic

Egg Nog King of the Eastern Seaboard
Reaction score

Here's the thing I don't get about people who say shit like that.

They're all big supporters of Donald Trump. A man born with a silver spoon up his ass, lived a life of wealth and luxury, inherited hundreds of millions of dollars from his dad, lives in a gold plated penthouse on top of his privately owned skyscraper, and has openly bragged about not having to work with the public a day in his life.

Now I don't care that he was born lucky. It happens. Enjoy it if you got it. It's that he portrays himself as the champion of the common man, and people believe him, that I take issue with.

It ain't make no goddamn sense.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
Here's the thing I don't get about people who say shit like that.

They're all big supporters of Donald Trump. A man born with a silver spoon up his ass, lived a life of wealth and luxury, inherited hundreds of millions of dollars from his dad, lives in a gold plated penthouse on top of his privately owned skyscraper, and has openly bragged about not having to work with the public a day in his life.

Now I don't care that he was born lucky. It happens. Enjoy it if you got it. It's that he portrays himself as the champion of the common man, and people believe him, that I take issue with.

It ain't make no goddamn sense.

Yep. The fact that the campaign regularly plays CCR's "Fortunate Son" is a sign that this whole thing is a knowing con. He's a charicture of a tough-guy. He sounds like a union boss, but he's a mincing putz.

It tells us how much of a put-on all this "common man" stuff really is. It's just a certain kind of mufti if the guy who lived in the lap of luxury can put it on and take it off when it's convenient.

Meanwhile, you've got Joe Biden, who was born in Scranton and regularly took the train to Delaware to take care of his kids, and managed to become vice president, and now may be president. And, that guy will be painted as a member of the elite, even as his son served in Iraq as as JAG attorney.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Answer to question in thread title: no it can’t, not with this kind of putrid mouthpiece, Fucker Carlson.

42CBCCF0-61FD-471E-A20B-4AEEAF22DF31.jpeg
Do you recognize this expression?
The face of evil​

The disinformation network known as Fox News recently told its viewers that Dr. Anthony Fauci is the “guy who created covid” after, mere days earlier, another host said the White House’s chief medical adviser had been unfairly “vilified” and treated as though he’s “Lex Luthor.”

On Wednesday, Fox’s Tucker Carlson continued with his callous and dangerous campaign to downplay the effectiveness of the coronavirus vaccine, escalating his efforts to discredit the nation’s leading infectious disease expert by falsely labeling Fauci as “the guy who created covid.”

But just last week, after a Senate hearing where Fauci defended himself against false attacks from Sen. Rand Paul regarding the origins of the virus, Fox’s Neil Cavuto bemoaned the widespread disparaging of the doctor, calling it a “pile on.”

Last edited:

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
So here's something to take note of

This week, America’s most watched cable news host is broadcasting from an authoritarian state — not to criticize its leadership but to praise it.

Fox’s Tucker Carlson is currently in Budapest, airing his show from Hungary’s capital city. In his Monday monologue, Carlson told his listeners that they should pay attention to Hungary “if you care about Western civilization, and democracy, and family — and the ferocious assault on all three of those things by leaders of our global institutions.” He tweeted out a friendly photo with Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán and is confirmed to speak at a government-supported conference in Budapest on Saturday.

Make no mistake: Fox’s marquee host is aligning himself with a ruler who has spent the past 11 years systematically dismantling Hungary’s free political system.

A 2021 report from V-Dem, the leading academic institute assessing the state of global democracy, found that Hungary crossed the line into autocracy in 2018. In March, Orbán’s Fidesz party was pushed out of the EPP, an alliance of center-right European parties, because its European peers felt it had strayed too far into authoritarian territory.
https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1422363998096330752/

You can easily see why Carlson is interested in a guy who did successfully crap away democracy for his country.

Chew Toy McCoy

Pleb
Site Donor
Reaction score
When the entire point of your network is to be contrary to the left I don’t see how else they can do it. Democrats aren’t always right but the data is usually on their side. So Fox has to pull from fringe sources and hyperbole. If only 10% of information seems to skew towards their viewpoint they need to report it as 100%.

For decades critical thinkers on the left have complained about how much Democrats have moved right of center. You need no more further proof of that than Fox News. They are no longer capable of rational arguments because the Democrats took what was once theirs.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
So here's something to take note of

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1422363998096330752/

You can easily see why Carlson is interested in a guy who did successfully crap away democracy for his country.
This is what these ass hats don’t realize, seizing power seems to work well for those holding the power, until the revolution tosses you out and possibly into prison or dead. If I was to guess they believe this is a more ideal condition than the compromise that is required with democracy. Next he’ll be off to commiserate with Putin in Russia for tips on how to subvert democracy. 👀

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
I’m floored that Carlson, for all his craziness, has the gall to travel to the most tyrannical country in Europe and hold it up as a blueprint for America to follow.

I wonder if there’s a percentage of his viewers for whom this is…too much.

It says something that Carlson feels empowered enough that he’s boldly coming out and saying he’d like the US to be a dictatorship. The man seems to be vying with Trump and maybe Michael Flynn for the title of America’s Craziest Would-Be Despot. 😡

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
I’m floored that Carlson, for all his craziness, has the gall to travel to the most tyrannical country in Europe and hold it up as a blueprint for America to follow.

I wonder if there’s a percentage of his viewers for whom this is…too much.

It says something that Carlson feels empowered enough that he’s boldly coming out and saying he’d like the US to be a dictatorship. The man seems to be vying with Trump and maybe Michael Flynn for the title of America’s Craziest Would-Be Despot. 😡
Maybe he’ll be broadcasting from Belarus next week?

Top Bottom
1 2