The Matrix Franchise

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
The original trilogy thrilled me through the second movie. The third was ok and wrapped up the series somewhat. The visuals in this series were incredible, Neo’s awakening is impressive. But now we are onto No.4.

Regarding the Matrix trailer, we see some of the original actors and some kind of conflict, most significantly we see Neo alive with his eyes intact, but maybe not, and if this is a sequel, I assume it is, my guess is that Neo’s existence is now as a denizen exclusive to the Martix, an independent program, not unlike the Oracle, the Keymaker, or the architect. So what is the conflict? Is it war against the machines chapter 4?

December 22- I may have to visit the theater, but it is one of those situations where a I’d brace myself for disappointment. White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane is the perfect song in the trailer with eye popping visuals to drag me in. I just want a worthy story, not just a repeat of what came before.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I am so stoked for the 4th movie. Won't be seeing it at the theater (bummer our new Sonos gear won't be here ...), but we'll be much happier watching it at home.

I have some more pointless spew, but one quick thing: White Rabbit was written and performed by Jefferson Airplane

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
I am so stoked for the 4th movie. Won't be seeing it at the theater (bummer our new Sonos gear won't be here ...), but we'll be much happier watching it at home.

I have some more pointless spew, but one quick thing: White Rabbit was written and performed by Jefferson Airplane
My mistake…keep me honest! :giggle:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Oh yeah, so there's some discussion online that the machines may pulled a bit a "You only think you did what you did ..."

I'm hoping it's a complete retcon / IWOAD sort of thing, you know, undoing 3 movies, but maybe the ending specifically wasn't quite what we thought it was.

Also see: ST:TNG episode, "Ship in a Bottle"

That's the idea, and that's also a genius EP even if you just watch one out of order.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
OK, so I figured in the context of the movie world, there was going to be some kind of spin on some of what Neo experienced was a simulation, and/or he’s also an AI.

My new super super hot take …

The Matrix films are movies in the context of the movie reality. The Morpheus from the movies is an actor (a human in the Matrix) or possibly even a ground up creation - the main point, people in the Matrix saw a trilogy of Matrix films o_O

And we, the real world audience may even be a further proxy.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
OK, so I figured in the context of the movie world, there was going to be some kind of spin on some of what Neo experienced was a simulation, and/or he’s also an AI.

My new super super hot take …

The Matrix films are movies in the context of the movie reality. The Morpheus from the movies is an actor (a human in the Matrix) or possibly even a ground up creation - the main point, people in the Matrix saw a trilogy of Matrix films o_O

And we, the real world audience may even be a further proxy.
Omg, they might reduce the first 3 Matrix movies into a dream on Dallas that wiped out an entire season? ;)

Actually if there is truth in this, there will be threshold that must be exceeded in good story telling or I will be grumpy. Yet, the more I think about it, the more likely this appears to be.

All of the scenes from the trailer we see are in taking place in the simulation known as the Matrix, so we know these characters have lost their memories, are functioning within the Matrix, in their pods acting as batteries for the machines. Or are they in their pods? :unsure:

So how did we get from a truce with the machines at the end of Revolutions, to these freed characters back in the Matrix? Some free wheeling conjecture:
  • As you suggested, it never happened, it was a joint adventure planned by the machines to give a group of humans some adventure, satisfaction. At the end of this they were all reprogrammed just like Cypher stating, I don’t want to remember nothing! This would raise some questions Imo.
  • Maybe Neo and Trinity are both manipulated AI and their adventure from the original trilogy was the equivalent of a vacation?
  • Is Neo the threat he was in the original series? I’ll vote yes.
  • If so, why would the machines keep him plugged in, why not destroy him?
  • Maybe the machines don’t realize there is a threat, the escape the Matrix fantasy was just another simulation.
  • How many Matrixes might there be?
  • The premise of the original trilogy is that there is a resistance of humans who have escaped living in the real world. What if there is no resistance, ie humans who have escaped the power generation fields?
  • Could this be awakening from within the Matrix with no external reality that humans would want to live in, such as a hole in the ground?
  • The irony there, would be that the humans would be completely dependent on the machines for their existence. How much could you rock the Matrix boat If in reality you had no where else to go?
  • Less likely: The original trilogy happened but the characters decided that life sucks on a destroyed Earth, so why not live the illusion of the Matrix? The problem here is that I doubt Neo and Trinity would volunteer to forget about each other. Yet if you remember the past, how satisfied would you be living in a simulation? Maybe satisfied enough. :unsure:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Apparently it's visually stunning and the story/plot is "very divisive", which probably means we will LOVE it :D

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
Don't forget the Matrix rebooted itself several times, they kept re-injecting "The One" code back in to improve it.

• Could this be awakening from within the Matrix with no external reality that humans would want to live in, such as a hole in the ground?
  • The irony there, would be that the humans would be completely dependent on the machines for their existence. How much could you rock the Matrix boat If in reality you had no where else to go?
  • Less likely: The original trilogy happened but the characters decided that life sucks on a destroyed Earth, so why not live the illusion of the Matrix? The problem here is that I doubt Neo and Trinity would volunteer to forget about each other. Yet if you remember the past, how satisfied would you be living in a simulation? Maybe satisfied enough. :unsure:

These are really interesting ideas, I actually kind of love the idea that humanity was like, NOPE.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Ok I saw Matrix Resurrections 4, (HBOmax), glad I did not see this in the theater, in a word nostalgic, but disappointed.
I like that they coherently explained how we got to the beginning of this movie, I was most intrigued with the setup, Neo and Trinity living “normal” lives in close proximity to each other (seen in the trailer and also explained) but too many repeat visuals, and the plot, I guess it is ok as a bridge story, but once the story got back to the real World, a lot of the luster dimmed, turning into a been there, watched this already. :cautious: Maybe for Matrix 5, they can come up with a better plot. :)

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
i asked some questions a while back, here are some answers if you don’t care about spoilers:

So how did we get from a truce with the machines at the end of Revolutions, to these freed characters back in the Matrix? Some free wheeling conjecture:
  • It never happened, it was a joint adventure planned by the machines to give a group of humans some adventure, satisfaction. At the end of this they were all reprogrammed just like Cypher stating, I don’t want to remember nothing! This would raise some questions Imo.
    It did happen! Neo and Trinity died, and were rebuilt as flesh and blood replicas of themself, then reinserted into the Matrix.
  • Maybe Neo and Trinity are both manipulated AI and their adventure from the original trilogy was the equivalent of a vacation?
    Answer: No.
  • Is Neo the threat he was in the original series? I’ll vote yes.
    Answer: Yes, but a poorly articulated threat in the entry.
  • If so, why would the machines keep him plugged in, why not destroy him?
    The Architect wanted both Neo and Trinity in close proximity to one another, with the inexplicable reason that “conflict” ups power generation from their human batteries, yet Neo and Trinity are spending their time living pedestrian lives close to one another but zero conflict on their part until the resistance shows up. Maybe the Architect was planning on this to increase power levels, and thought he could handle the situation?
  • Maybe the machines don’t realize there is a threat, the escape the Matrix fantasy was just another simulation.
    Answer: No.
  • How many Matrixes might there be? Not addressed.
  • The premise of the original trilogy is that there is a resistance of humans who have escaped living in the real world. What if there is no resistance, ie humans who have escaped the power generation fields?
    There is a resistance, there is another underground city.
  • Less likely: The original trilogy happened but the characters decided that life sucks on a destroyed Earth, so why not volunteer to live the illusion of the Matrix? The problem here is that I doubt Neo and Trinity would volunteer to forget about each other. Yet if you remember the past, how satisfied would you be living in a simulation? Maybe satisfied enough. 🤔
    The answer is No, they did not volunteer to forget their lives and be reinserted into the Matrix.

Last edited:

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
@B S Magnet's review of Matrix Resurrections is 1000% right on, see TOP thread of the same name ...

Top Bottom
1 2