MacRumors The MR moderation hypocrisy thread

Anything about MacRumors

Eric

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
Creating a new thread for this since we have more than enough data to warrant it. Let's keep this one strictly to call out incidents where they let others get away with the same things they impose penalties for others on. Feedback on posts in here is okay here but let's cite actual cases of moderation, also feel free to include where others are getting free pass, including names and links.

And the post was removed as "Off-topic".

Really no comment.

"Ulenspiegel,

This is a reminder from the MacRumors moderator team to avoid making posts that are off-topic to the subject of the thread, especially in a news thread or serious discussion. Your post may have been edited or removed for this reason.

For further information and instructions, see the Reminders section of the Moderation FAQ. Do not reply to (or report) a moderation message like this one. If you have questions, comments, or complaints about moderation, use the Contact Form.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Your post: Clarification on "Citation Rule"

----------------------------------------------------------------

~Mike Flynn~"

Interesting... yet this was allowed toward me by icanhazmac
I really wish we could label these posts with a fact check warning. You make some really bold and derogatory allegations about MR and the mod staff with statements like that but the trick is its all your opinion stated as fact.

I'm still waiting for you to back up your allegation that MR is "overrun", all I asked you for was a reference to a sinlge racist post in any article on the front page. As indicated you can't link it but I think you can list the article and page number, thats not too specific.

My guess is you cannot find one... well go to the second page then.... I'll wait.... oh, still can't find one, try the third page, I'll wait.................

Stop saying MR is "overrun" with racist talk, it very clearly isn't.

Also, trolling is allowed... so long as it's only to defend MR - another from icanhazmac
I replied to the OP because I see regular complaints from that member, and honestly you fall into this category as well, because I am truly fascinated by why you remain here if this site is as bad as you both describe in your many posts on the topic. I can easily go back through your post history and find many, many references to how MR is a haven for nazis, racists, etc., it's very clearly not but if you feel it is why do you stay? Do you think that complaint #107 is going to work after the first 106 didn't?

Seriously, the feedback forum is full of these from icanhazmac and Apple_Robert. How many of us have been issued infractions for less?

Last edited:

Ulenspiegel

Vaccinated
Reaction score
Just for the past two days I had two cases, both been posted here.

We can call it hypocrisy, but I'd rather name it as discrimination or if I'd like to be more diplomatic: differentiation.

Second point is that the "system" itself choses personas who have personality disorders, culminating in getting satisfaction from two aspects: craven anonymity (playing the alleged alpha-male hiding behind a computer) and longing for exercising (quasi) power. The outcome is arrogance and incompetence.

bunnspecial

Site Donor
Reaction score
Perhaps I took this one too personally, but this was a post directed at me(even though not addressed to me) from someone who has stated several times that they don't even bother to read my posts in a particular thread because they are(paraphrasing) too long and just want to argue

Your points are valid.

.....And if you read back further into this thread, you’ll see how it’s nothing but a constant barrage of making repairs for a broken down British car that runs into more problems every time he drives it, yet he takes no time and/or pride to invest into the paint that looks like someone rubbed 60-grit sand paper all over it. But hey, lets point out why EV’s are a bad choice! (<—Thats sarcasm others use, as I actually support EV’s.)

I’m not trolling here, I’m just pointing out that I think it’s interesting how somebody wants to talk about things that cost money over the course of time with ICE, yet EV’s have been proven to be a better financial investment long-term with savings of fuel and maintenance.

It was post #13,478 in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-car-thread.1766143/page-540

This one got under my skin and I reported it under the premise that it WAS an attack directed at me and intended to provoke a response from me.

I escalated the "no action warranted" to "Steve", who in turn moderated some of MY posts following that claiming that I was "trolling" this poster by responding to him.

Again, maybe overly sensitive on my part, but this is from one of the loudmouths who seemingly gets away with anything.

Ulenspiegel

Vaccinated
Reaction score
I am not surprised at all, bunn.

What can you expect of the "intellectual-gnome-on-a-high-horse "-Steve? He has proven himself numerous times. That is why I would be extremely glad to see and face here this ....... (place of improper name calling). The alpha-male behind the comp. Tragicomedy.

A little bit off-topic. What concerns the statement:
"EV’s have been proven to be a better financial investment long-term with savings of fuel and maintenance."

That is absolutely false as it omits a lot of other aspects as well. (I have just bought another car and spending some time in Ford Owners Club. Worth paying attention to the experiences and final conclusions even there).

bunn, don't take it personally. Not worth. Reply as you feel proper. We have nothing to lose. If MR bans, let it be. Do we really want to degrade ourselves just for the sake of remaining there?

SuperMatt

Elite Member
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
I am not surprised at all, bunn.

What can you expect of the "intellectual-gnome-on-a-high-horse "-Steve? He has proven himself numerous times. That is why I would be extremely glad to see and face here this ....... (place of improper name calling). The alpha-male behind the comp. Tragicomedy.

A little bit off-topic. What concerns the statement:
"EV’s have been proven to be a better financial investment long-term with savings of fuel and maintenance."

That is absolutely false as it omits a lot of other aspects as well. (I have just bought another car and spending some time in Ford Owners Club. Worth paying attention to the experiences and final conclusions even there).

bunn, don't take it personally. Not worth. Reply as you feel proper. We have nothing to lose. If MR bans, let it be. Do we really want to degrade ourselves just for the sake of remaining there?
PS - we have a car thread here. I have had an EV (VW e-golf) since 2016 and wouldn’t mind chatting about it with you guys there.

AutomaticApple

Site Champ
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
Creating a new thread for this since we have more than enough data to warrant it. Let's keep this one strictly to call out incidents where they let others get away with the same things they impose penalties for others on. Feedback on posts in here is okay here but let's cite actual cases of moderation, also feel free to include where others are getting free pass, including names and links.

Interesting... yet this was allowed toward me by icanhazmac

Also, trolling is allowed... so long as it's only to defend MR - another from icanhazmac

Seriously, the feedback forum is full of these from icanhazmac and Apple_Robert. How many of us have been issued infractions for less?
Can we have a thread for neatly organizing every single bad thing that has happened at MacRumors to date?

DT

Elite Member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Perhaps I took this one too personally, but this was a post directed at me(even though not addressed to me) from someone who has stated several times that they don't even bother to read my posts in a particular thread because they are(paraphrasing) too long and just want to argue

It was post #13,478 in this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/the-car-thread.1766143/page-540

This one got under my skin and I reported it under the premise that it WAS an attack directed at me and intended to provoke a response from me.

I escalated the "no action warranted" to "Steve", who in turn moderated some of MY posts following that claiming that I was "trolling" this poster by responding to him.

Again, maybe overly sensitive on my part, but this is from one of the loudmouths who seemingly gets away with anything.

How am I not shocked about who it was, hahaha (kind of given, since it was The Now Ruined Car Thread ...)

Speaking of, hahahahaha, look at this brilliant word jumble from the same person (I knocked around, unauthenticated, for a minute or two after following your link):

The original movie poster I wanted to use, was a bit too inappropriate, so I chose this one being a little bit more neutral toned.

But for anyone that has watched this movie with Elisha Cuthbert, knows how strikingly beautiful she is (And I mean, _killer_ looks). I’m not really one that has ‘Hollywood crushes’, but all together; she can be very hypnotic.

Neutral toned.

HAHAHAHAHA ....

All together? As opposed to some discrete considerations, though you only mentioned her "killer looks", and my dwarfish, half-witted dude, don't say killer, it doesn't work for you ...

Though I suppose I have to take, ugh, credit for introducing this leprechaun to my text based inflections, even though he __usually__ gets them all wrong. :ROFLMAO:

AutomaticApple

Site Champ
Vaccinated
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
You're all being ridiculous.

It would just be a link to macrumors.com surely?
Too unorganized! You'd be dead by the time you'd seen every single bad thing that has happened at MacRumors.
How about the collected works of Stephen King?
That would be great, but I don't think we would ever be able to finish it. :ROFLMAO:
Way too small. Think Lord of the Rings.
That's definitely more reasonable. I've written many 1,000 page documents in the past. With all of that experience, it'd be a cakewalk. :p

Also, part of me is genuinely serious about the whole document thing.

Thomas Veil

Elite Member
Staff member
Vaccinated
Reaction score
Maybe they could just be upfront with it and change the site name to Mchan or Mkun or something.

Stephen.R

Site Champ
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
Well @MissNomer is going to be disappointed.

I just got a... 5 day ban? You're going to love this.

A user who claims (and I honestly have no reason to doubt his claims) to be a former CPU designer has repeated the same false claim about HDMI and bandwidth, no less than 9 times in the last week.

Initially I thought he just didn't know and was "guessing", based on common terminology thrown around. I responded 5 (maybe 6?) times and detailed how it actually works. Each time he ignored the response and kept posting the same claims.

Apparently, explaining how DisplayPort Alt Mode is not the same as Thunderbolt Alt mode, is "trolling".

Who'd have thunk it - all those SNL DateLine Keith Morrison gifs I kept posting as sarcastic responses in the news threads. Nope. (ok, two messages about 'frivolous posts', but no actual penalties).. Tell someone they don't know what they're talking about and explain how it actually works? Naughty naughty. Can't have that.

This here site is built on lies and innuendo dontchaknow?

MissNomer

Site Champ
Vaccinated
Site Donor
Reaction score
Well @MissNomer is going to be disappointed.

I just got a... 5 day ban? You're going to love this.

A user who claims (and I honestly have no reason to doubt his claims) to be a former CPU designer has repeated the same false claim about HDMI and bandwidth, no less than 9 times in the last week.

Initially I thought he just didn't know and was "guessing", based on common terminology thrown around. I responded 5 (maybe 6?) times and detailed how it actually works. Each time he ignored the response and kept posting the same claims.

Apparently, explaining how DisplayPort Alt Mode is not the same as Thunderbolt Alt mode, is "trolling".

Who'd have thunk it - all those SNL DateLine Keith Morrison gifs I kept posting as sarcastic responses in the news threads. Nope. (ok, two messages about 'frivolous posts', but no actual penalties).. Tell someone they don't know what they're talking about and explain how it actually works? Naughty naughty. Can't have that.

This here site is built on lies and innuendo dontchaknow?
It’s your own fault. Facts don’t generate clicks at MacRumors - so we can’t be having them.

Rumors, lies and innuendo? Post away…

Stephen.R

Site Champ
PRSI Banned
Reaction score
It’s your own fault. Facts don’t generate clicks at MacRumors - so we can’t be having them.

Rumors, lies and innuendo? Post away…
Just got this line as "reasoning":

The moderators aren't going to take sides in a technical debate and decide what information in posts is true or false.

So much for rules 1 and 2.

1. Sources. If you claim that something's a fact, back it up with a source. If you can't produce evidence when someone asks you to cite your sources, we may remove your posts. If you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread.
  2. Repetition. If you repeat the same claims without adding new information, we might remove your posts. Again, if you started the thread, then we may remove or close the thread.

Top Bottom