The Obvious Voting-Rights Solution That No Democrat Will Propose

Herdfan

Resident Redneck
Reaction score
PLEASE check the R agenda thread, where I've been sharing bits on her questionable money spent.

Her husband getting paid loads of cash for being a shift worker is some impressive stuff. Combined with her sudden spending of $10K in Uber fees in ONE month traveling. She more & more sounds like a chip off of the 45th block grift wise, as opposed to the loud mouths of MTG.

Also you gotta love the fact that AOC busted her ass at TWO jobs, which if she was an 'r' candidate would get her canonized. But with her, it bears EXTRA scrutiny, because... :rolleyes:

She F'N worked hard BEFORE Faux News made her a national darling by trying to make her the latest conservative punching bag, isn't that ENOUGH?!

Two things. First, I have actually praised AOC busting her ass to get elected. She worked it, she earned it.

On the second point about Jayson Boebert getting paid for something, let me know when you are willing to discuss Omar's husband's consulting firm getting miillions from her campaign. I will discuss yours when you are willing to discuss mine.

But I suspect you will just throw shade as it's some FoxNews conspiracy instead of actually address the issue. (Hint: Even the WaPo covered it)

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Two things. First, I have actually praised AOC busting her ass to get elected. She worked it, she earned it.

On the second point about Jayson Boebert getting paid for something, let me know when you are willing to discuss Omar's husband's consulting firm getting miillions from her campaign. I will discuss yours when you are willing to discuss mine.

But I suspect you will just throw shade as it's some FoxNews conspiracy instead of actually address the issue. (Hint: Even the WaPo covered it)
I recommend making a separate thread - call it nepotism or something where we can discuss that. I’d be game for it.

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Texas just passed their bill that is supposedly going to stop voter fraud.

Somebody tell me how banning 24-hour voting or drive-in voting prevents fraud. Maybe it’s the provision that makes it a felony to help a disabled person vote that prevents fraud? I know! The provision that stops localities from expanding voting hours will definitely prevent fraud. No? Ok I figured it out. The provision that makes it illegal to send unsolicited applications for mail-in ballots (not the ballots, just the applications!) will be the provision that stops voter fraud!

This entire bill stinks to high heaven. Shame on these legislators. End the filibuster now and pass national voting rights legislation or watch our democracy crumble.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score

Two things as well, I guess.

1. I NEVER said differently. I also NEVER referred to you. AOC has stated repeatedly that many on the 'r' side of politics like to make a big deal of her being a bartender as if that is derisive. A favorite rallying cry for some was that they were going to send her back to bar tending, as if that a form of mockery or to be feared, when she's already done so much outside of Congress & her former employment. That is what I referred to.

2. I don't need to let you know when I am I willing to discuss someone else's husband, because that would be a 'whatabout'. Meaning you are willing to discuss the topic brought up with someone unwarranted, only if they will instead have a completely different conversation about something else you prefer FIRST. Boebert's husband is referenced to because I was responding to someone else completely who brought the congresswoman up. Boebert finds themselves in the current light because of their action or inaction by NOT disclosing earnings when they ( I believe the current excuse going around is that the accountant somehow "forgot?" ) were supposed to. Which I believe has gotten them a warning from the FEC. After that when they explained the husband was a consultant of some kind, but the company claims he was a contracted shift worker that somehow got paid almost a million dollars.

That failure to disclose financials though is repeated thing that has been happening with republicans of late with Boebert, Rand Paul, Tuberville, Moore, and Fallon. We of course can't know if there are more, until they amend their financials months well AFTER the point. Ilhan Omar I don't believe has suddenly become republican, thus she didn't make my posts in the REPUBLICAN agenda thread.

So perhaps @SuperMatt is correct if this is a discussion you feel so passionately about, as there seems to be no shortage of congress people who aren't on the level with their financials.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Nope. Just pointing out that she is supposed to be sooooo smart, but she wasn't using her degree. There has to be a reason. Could be she liked the job or it could be if some of the stuff that comes out of her mouth is so incorrect that no private sector financial firm would hire her.
Your prejudice regarding AOC. :)

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
But she has an Econ degree from BU. So why was she working as a bartender in the financial capital of the world?
From Wikipedia: "After college, Ocasio-Cortez moved back to the Bronx and took a job as a bartender and waitress to help her mother—a house cleaner and school bus driver—fight foreclosure of their home."

Prior to that she assisted her mom in a lengthy probate battle to settle her dad's estate. That fight was one of the inspirations for her turn to politics.

Huntn

Whatwerewe talk'n about?
Site Donor
Reaction score
From Wikipedia: "After college, Ocasio-Cortez moved back to the Bronx and took a job as a bartender and waitress to help her mother—a house cleaner and school bus driver—fight foreclosure of their home."

Prior to that she assisted her mom in a lengthy probate battle to settle her dad's estate. That fight was one of the inspirations for her turn to politics.
Yeah, really suspect, huh, Herd?

SuperMatt

Site Master
Reaction score
Well, maybe they do if you have the right parents/relatives?
Even then, they probably have to do an unpaid internship for a year. Unpaid internships are a great way to make sure you only get people with money coming from mommy and daddy interning at your firm. Who can afford to work for free for a year, right after graduating college with a mountain of loans? Just another example of the rigged system.

ronntaylor

Elite Member
Reaction score
Even then, they probably have to do an unpaid internship for a year. Unpaid internships are a great way to make sure you only get people with money coming from mommy and daddy interning at your firm. Who can afford to work for free for a year, right after graduating college with a mountain of loans? Just another example of the rigged system.
It's what is expected in book publishing. Well at least when I was directly involved in the field ages ago. So few of us had the financial and personal connections to make it in the industry. Such high turnover from similarly-situated colleagues. And we were forced to take home several manuscripts every weekend on our own dime. With reader reports for each one. A couple of us had not one, but two editors to assist. And I was one of the lucky ones because my Publishing program set up only paid internships and worked with publishing houses and tried as best as possible to make adequate fits for internships and jobs.

Add in the demographics of certain fields and how "not the right fit" mentality persists and it's almost a fool's errand to begin. Deep mentorships and vigilant diversity programs are the only way to get some people into fields. But it's often not worth all the stress working in such environments entail.

hulugu

Site Champ
Reaction score
As for rampant voting fraud being disproved, I say let's disprove it every election. The problem is similar in that the Dems don't really want any serious investigations just in case it is real and the right doesn't because it might prove it isn't. Both just use it to beat on each other with.

If you think there's been a serious investigation on the side of the right, you've been sold a bill of goods. The Arizona effort is a smorgasbord of idiocy and bad faith wrapped in rampant partisanship. But, there were serious evaluations of votes, including in Michigan, and what they found was that election officials took their jobs very seriously.

Of course, now, wingnuts like Mark Finchem are running for the top election jobs, not because they care about election integrity, but rather they hope to be able to cheat for their guy, disrupting democracy.

You can't disprove a negative. If there's no cheating, every election will be fraught with arguments that there must have been cheating. And, the reality is that there are forces attempting to cheat the election, but only one party is fine with that cheating because one party has fundamentally abandoned Democracy in favor of a cult of personality.

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
Cue the fraud allegations from the right in 3...2...1...

https://www.twitter.com/i/web/status/1442569898039787522/
Cue actually anyone showing up to provide proof of such allegations from the right in...
giphy.gif

The right ignoring examples of voter fraud done by other republicans
giphy.gif

Top Bottom
1 2