The origins of Parler

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
How did you figure out ALL my passwords?!

Weak passwords only hurt you during normal leaks. Normally, they would obtain encrypted passwords, because you don't store unencrypted passwords server side. It's not just that you can access them so easily. It's that they're there in the first place.

Normally obtaining the passwords is only part of the work. Suppose they are hashed with a cryptographically secure method. BOOBS and 12345 are not particularly random.

password_strength.png

You precompute a table so that you have

{ hash('BOOBS'): BOOBS,
hash('12345'): 12345,
}

Now you have a bunch of encrypted passwords. If one of those hits in your table, you have their password.

You don't really need to crack every password on a leak, just the easy ones.

U

User.45

!RFGWeak passwords only hurt you during normal leaks. Normally, they would obtain encrypted passwords, because you don't store unencrypted passwords server side. It's not just that you can access them so easily. It's that they're there in the first place.

Normally obtaining the passwords is only part of the work. Suppose they are hashed with a cryptographically secure method. BOOBS and 12345 are not particularly random.

password_strength.png

You precompute a table so that you have

{ hash('BOOBS'): BOOBS,
hash('12345'): 12345,
}

Now you have a bunch of encrypted passwords. If one of those hits in your table, you have their password.

You don't really need to crack every password on a leak, just the easy ones.
Sorry, forgot to indicate it was a joke:D I played around with brute force back in the days.
Now my workplace has a 10-step authentication system in place:D

U

User.45

Including retinal scans and colonic mappings?
Why not go all the way to a 12-step program? Lots of psychological benefits with that approach too, I hear! ;-)
Steps 11 and 12 are part of the coping with the colonic mappings...:

1. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
  2. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Edd

It’s all in the reflexes
Site Donor
Reaction score
I doubt I’ll ever check out Parler but I can’t help the occasional flyby on the Breitbart comments sections. There are longtime posters claiming that Trump will absolutely get sworn in as president in January. It’s wild, man.

Yoused

up
Reaction score
knee deep in the road apples of the 4 horsemen
Parler is suing Amazon for breach of contract, insisting on being reinstated and triple damages. Given that their legal team has "taken a leave of absence", this could be problematic for them.

Meanwhile, the hackers got in, created a bunch of admin accounts, and All Parler user data is being downloaded as we speak! : ParlerWatch (reddit.com)

All of this data, the videos, the images, the posts, the metadata (including the GEO location of all images and videos, and the connections to the accounts that posted it, has been (since midnight) being uploaded to various cloud drives and storage arrays for the purposes of Archiving this information, for later retrieval by law enforcement, by the public, by Open Source Intelligence communities.
And the kicker.. is this: all of this information was thought to be secure and private by individuals who were making the posts. A significant number of those individuals went through the process of being a "Verified Citizen" on Parler. What does that mean?
It means they uploaded a picture of the front and back of their REAL State Driver's License........ Let that sink in for a second.

It seems as though downloading images and such would give you downsampled context with blank EXIF headers (FB does this) but the content on their servers may be unmodified from the upload.

Last edited:

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
Amazon has struck back at Parler... responding to its lawsuit with examples of the content that caused it to decide to sever the hosting contract.

This case is not about suppressing speech or stifling viewpoints. It is not about a conspiracy to restrain trade," Amazon claimed in the court filing. "Instead, this case is about Parler's demonstrated unwillingness and inability to remove... content that threatens the public safety, such as by inciting and planning the rape, torture, and assassination of named public officials and private citizens."

In the piece there is a link to the Amazon court filing. The threats they cited are absolutely appalling.

lizkat

Reaction score

lizkat

Reaction score

Yeah, perfect. Wow. The reality is if McConnell says he thinks the House charge is something he can vote to convict on, most of the GOP Senators will fall in line, and there will be a conviction (and removal if Trump is still in office) and another vote to deny Trump ability to hold public office again.

And if they do it efficiently they can do it before Parler finds someplace to try to host Trump and his followers' fact-free takes on reality.

I would have been happier with that law enforcement conference today if FBI's Wray and Acting AG Jeffrey Rosen had been there.

Like where were they, vetting their own staffers?

Zoidberg

Site Champ
Reaction score
The sad fucking reality is that if we had social media during world war 2 these same types of people would be arguing that it was the Jews who were putting themselves into concentration camps. It's a disgrace.

Yes, I just read the Amazon response and I am pissed.
Funny you’d mention that. I know a guy from work who believes the Jews helped Hitler reach power so that they could play the victims and take over Hollywood.

Top Bottom
1 2