The recommended  apps thread

U

User.191

Thought it would be interesting for folks here to chime in on some of the apps they used on their various Apple devices and why. I know i’ve come accross numerous apps that i’d have never of known about if I’d not a read a post somewhere talking about it.

My first up is Obsidian which has finally ended my 2 year search for a flexible note taking app that’s not called Evernote. Available on iOS, iPadOS and MacOS it’s a free app (features like managed sync is extra although you can also sync via iCloud for free) that i’ve been using for a while with a long list of plugins.

Granted neither the iOS nor iPadOS versions follow the Apple designs, they are however almost identical to the Mac app - and yes the Mac app is Electron based, but by golly it’s still bloody good.

It supports E2E encryption and is Markdown centric.

I’ve tried numerous different sorts of apps over the last two years, from Notion (too “blocky”), Inkdrop (buggy), Joplin (almost there but not quite), Craft (beautiful app but has the same ‘block’ type issues that annoyed me with Notion), Bear (another beautiful app but development seems to be glacial), Apple Notes (well, it’s notes) and, of course the big huge honking elephant in the room, Evernote (tired and in desperate need of a total redesign). There have been others as well that I can’t remember.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I do have a thread here, it's a little more generic (not  specific), and not intended for just recommended apps:

Runs For Fun

Masochist
Site Donor
Reaction score
How have I not heard of Obsidian? I've also been looking for a cross platform note taking app that isn't Evernote. I've tried a ton but haven't found one that I really like. I'll have to give this a try!

U

User.191

How have I not heard of Obsidian? I've also been looking for a cross platform note taking app that isn't Evernote. I've tried a ton but haven't found one that I really like. I'll have to give this a try!
I'll be honest and say it's an acquired taste. However it's got everything I've been looking for.

U

User 189

Thought it would be interesting for folks here to chime in on some of the apps they used on their various Apple devices and why. I know i’ve come accross numerous apps that i’d have never of known about if I’d not a read a post somewhere talking about it.

My first up is Obsidian which has finally ended my 2 year search for a flexible note taking app that’s not called Evernote. Available on iOS, iPadOS and MacOS it’s a free app (features like managed sync is extra although you can also sync via iCloud for free) that i’ve been using for a while with a long list of plugins.

Granted neither the iOS nor iPadOS versions follow the Apple designs, they are however almost identical to the Mac app - and yes the Mac app is Electron based, but by golly it’s still bloody good.

It supports E2E encryption and is Markdown centric.

I’ve tried numerous different sorts of apps over the last two years, from Notion (too “blocky”), Inkdrop (buggy), Joplin (almost there but not quite), Craft (beautiful app but has the same ‘block’ type issues that annoyed me with Notion), Bear (another beautiful app but development seems to be glacial), Apple Notes (well, it’s notes) and, of course the big huge honking elephant in the room, Evernote (tired and in desperate need of a total redesign). There have been others as well that I can’t remember.

You should try out DEVONthink.

Here are some YouTube videos that you might find interesting.

DT

I am so Smart! S-M-R-T!
Reaction score
Main Camera
iPhone
I'll be honest and say it's an acquired taste. However it's got everything I've been looking for.

I haven't spent a ton of time with it yet, but I am digging on what I see so far. I'm a big fan of markdown, like how it creates linked physical files, I like wrapping an organizing abstraction around a simple construct like a folder and files.

I wrote some MD extensions for a project, it was MMD, Medical Mark Down, like MD for the main layout/styling, and special markdown to do like real time links to data, ex: [[DataClip Source=(QueryName) ]]

Top Bottom
1 2