The Republican Agenda 2021 and Forward

JayMysteri0

What the F?!!!
Reaction score
175650939_10158470507939833_2910988891627549400_n.jpg

⬆️THIS all fucking day & everyday from this point on.

or to translate into "Jay" speak...

"Eat a dick, and then grow one of your own."

Last edited:

Thomas Veil

Suspended
Reaction score
⬆️THIS all fucking day & everyday from this point on.

or to translate into "Jay" speak...

"Eat a dick, and then grow one of your own."
This.

Liberals need to learn how to talk the talk.

"Conservatives are coming for your freedoms. The freedom to go shopping without fear of being gunned down. The freedom to vote by mail without jumping through a Republican-made obstacle course. You can't have the state automatically mail a ballot to your home, but they can have all the guns they want. Heck, at the rate things are going, if conservatives have their way your kids might not live long enough to need a ballot."

lizkat

Watching March roll out real winter
Reaction score
I wonder why the republicans didn't run on this as part of their agenda?

Part and parcel of why the Republicans declined to formulate an official platform in the 2020 convention, past "Trump da man". They know that GOP leadership is out of step with not only the majority of Americans but a growing percentage of their own base on matters of policy and in particular big ticket items like infrastructure and health care.

The interesting thing now though is that the Dems are starting to take advantage of the growing split between CORPORATE America and the Republicans' reluctance to rein in their own fringe.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
Ironically, I've never met a smart person yet who called someone else "low IQ."

It's one of a small number of things where, as soon as someone says it, I assume it's likely that they're a jackass. Ignoring that believe they can assess such a thing through simple observations (and without training to administer an IQ test), they are still looking down on others on the (assumed) basis of personal traits rather than actions.

And I worked with a bunch of psychologists specializing in IQ testing in a previous life.

That phrasing is extremely funny. People sometimes use it when referring to prior careers, but the way you state it, it sounds like they just act like they once did this.

U

User.45

It's one of a small number of things where, as soon as someone says it, I assume it's likely that they're a jackass. Ignoring that believe they can assess such a thing through simple observations (and without training to administer an IQ test), they are still looking down on others on the (assumed) basis of personal traits rather than actions.
Agree. People don't understand IQ tests. Most actually have a very poor understanding of standardized tests in general. Which is ironic, because understanding how tests are normalized makes you a much better test taker. There's a saying that once the benchmark becomes the goal measure, it stops being predictive of the object it was originally designed to measure. I share your suspicion towards people who use the term at all... To me it's only a tool to identify what some people will have difficulties with. It never replaces effort.
That phrasing is extremely funny. People sometimes use it when referring to prior careers, but the way you state it, it sounds like they just act like they once did this.
Yup I missed a comma:) Although, I think studying IQ is a "past life" activity for some of them too.

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
I share your suspicion towards people who use the term at all... To me it's only a tool to identify what some people will have difficulties with. It never replaces effort.

It's partly but not exclusively that. When people use the term "low IQ", it indicates both an assertion and an attempt to apply a stigma or social penalty. Even if they were to administer an IQ prior to issuing their statement as a justification (which, as you point out, is still flawed), using the results in this manner would still be firmly in the realm of jerk behavior.

Yup I missed a comma:) Although, I think studying IQ is a "past life" activity for some of them too.

It turned out so much better that way. English is highly susceptible to weird perturbations, and some of them are really funny.

U

User.45

It's partly but not exclusively that. When people use the term "low IQ", it indicates both an assertion and an attempt to apply a stigma or social penalty. Even if they were to administer an IQ prior to issuing their statement as a justification (which, as you point out, is still flawed), using the results in this manner would still be firmly in the realm of jerk behavior.
With and the implication that the person who uses the term, does not have a "low IQ", aware such, and is an arbiter of IQ. Each of these notions is hilarious on its own in the era of people identifying with their on-line quiz IQ test results:D

It turned out so much better that way. English is highly susceptible to weird perturbations, and some of them are really funny.
Long, awkward sentences with compound words you can make up on the fly. That's what my mind was shaped to work with. Takes extra effort to deviate from that.

Last edited by a moderator:

thekev

Elite Member
Reaction score
With and the implication that the person who uses the term, does not have a "low IQ", aware such, and is an arbiter of IQ. Each of these notions is hilarious on its own in the era of people identifying with their on-line quiz IQ test results:D

I get that. I used to find it funny, but it gets annoying fast if you find yourself interacting with such people.

Long, awkward sentences with compound words you can make up on the fly. That's what my mind was shaped to work with. Takes extra effort to deviate from that.

This is common in first and second drafts of academic literature. I've rewritten quite a few of those sentences for other people. It can be difficult, because you have to determine both the correctness of the original statement and whether the editing alters the semantics rather than just sentence structure.

U

User.45

I get that. I used to find it funny, but it gets annoying fast if you find yourself interacting with such people.

This is common in first and second drafts of academic literature. I've rewritten quite a few of those sentences for other people. It can be difficult, because you have to determine both the correctness of the original statement and whether the editing alters the semantics rather than just sentence structure.
We are so off, BTW, but the irony is that this conversation covers the essence of the current GQP policy agenda. Nothing:D

U

User.45

This is literally the entire reason the Electoral College exists in the first place. Rural states wanted assurances of the limits of federal power over their sovereignty in order to join the union.
I partially agree with this notion (not from a historical perspective) that you want to have some checks and balances so smaller / weaker states are not left behind, but... The electoral college + the senate together is too much power for the very "smaller / weaker" states. I think it's reasonable to keep one of these, but the result of both being kept is minority rule. From a fairness perspective, forcing presidential candidates to be more inclusive for the values of America, removing the electoral college, or distributing electoral votes proportionately would be a better solution. Senate could still serve to balance the presidential power of the plurality of voters with state-level interests. If the system would not allow (or even reward) such polarizing presidential candidates, the senate should not be such a battle ground either.

U

User.191

I find it especially sickening that the GOP has now decided to pivot from attacking the gays to now attacking children with their anti-trans stance.

It's one thing to fight trans kids on sports, but quite another when you make it illegal to allow trans kids access to the gender affirming care they so desperately need.

The GOP today are a party of hate. And that saddens me because it means there's no proper yang for the ying that is the DNC.

Top Bottom
1 2